Phantis Forums

Confederations Cup

drakos13

I'm going to disagree. The Italians 3 years ago played much better than they do now. This is not the same, or even a similar display at all

That's right. Most people hate on Italy because they're defensive. They were the best team in 2006 and deserved to win the World Cup. This team has nothing to do with that team. The same way that this Greece team has nothing to do with the 2004 Greece team, etc. I like Italy and I hope we see them sort themselves out again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Group A action is complete.

Standings:

1. Spain-9

2. South Africa-4

3. Iraq-2

4. New Zealand-1

Spain will play whoever finishes 2nd in Group B. South Africa will play the Group B champion, Iraq and New Zealand are out

Btw, NZ played well today, and deserved to beat Iraq. Iraq had a shot at progressing and completely lacked urgency until the clock hit 90. The 4 minutes of added time was when they finally woke up.

enough of the KIWI bashing!!!!

NZ played very well yesterday, NZ were unlucky not to score on a cowardly Iraq team who only concieded 1 goal in 270 mins of football with their 6-4-0 formation. I think NZ showed that they can at least be competitive with an asian team.

so what we didnt win a game??? we took the point !!!!!!!!! our first ever point in a FIFA competition for senoir mens team!!!!!!!!! WE DIDNT LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go NZ take the fukan point!!!!!!!!

actually GS, Killen had an atrocious match with about 4 chances. One went about a foot wide, the others were just weak. SMELTZ had 3 chances 1 was a header that was a pubic hair from the post, the other was a one on one that was just a scramble that he miss timed and he also fired one at the keeper. AS did bertos and Old with 30 m shots straight at the keeper.

When NZ started this tournament they were seriously depleated in the defense they were without NElson or Sigmound (who came back for the iraq game, what a difference he made too) and this meant that veiselich was called out of retirement to play and Boyens (who is 19 and was on debout i think) had to start against SPAIN, put yourself in thier shoes, after playing in the A-league and then taking on Torres and Villa....pftt forget about it.

UNfortunatly smeltz and killen were at times useless because on NZS terible midfeild play but SMELTZ is a really good striker and has proven numerous times in the A-league, i think AUSTRALIA would start him too.

anyway, i think people should stop the kiwi bashing, i mean its quite childish. NZ are s%$#! at football, its about the 6th sport on our list we know it and so do you.further these last few years have been positive with the youth WWC held here and NZ winning their first ever game V colombia, the youth team u19 made the nxt WC, and notably the creattion of the phoenix. I think in time NZ will develop( if the phoenix actually get their s%$#! together)

However, NZ can compete at sport internationally and for a country with 4 million we do well to be.....no1 at rugby, up there in cricket (3-6), netball world champs in 2003 (atm no 2 i think), nz has had 2 really good BASketball WC runs of late (2002 made the semis, lost to germany in the 3-4 playoff), Also numerous athletics triumphs and in cycling as well to name a few (hamish cater won the triathilon gold in athens and numerous WC titles).

thats just a few of the top of my head.

oh by the way, the mighty wellington phoenix were the most represented club at the tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"RICKY HERBERTS YELLOW ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by PAO_OR_DEATH

Group A action is complete.

Standings:

1. Spain-9

2. South Africa-4

3. Iraq-2

4. New Zealand-1

Spain will play whoever finishes 2nd in Group B. South Africa will play the Group B champion, Iraq and New Zealand are out

oh yeap look at that BEEEEYOOOOOOTIFUL point next to NZ

USA are thru :o

Group B Results

Brazil-9

USA-3(-2, 4 goals scored)

Italy-3(-2, 3 goals scored)

Egypt-3(-3)

Semifinals

Spain-USA

Brazil-South Africa

The difference was the own goal by Andrea Dossena. Overall though, who saw this coming? The USA gets beaten handily by Italy, then gets raped by Brazil. Their last match against Egypt, a side that pushed Brazil all the way, and then upset Italy. Then they go out and rape Egypt, with the backup goalkeeper in net. And then Selecao gives Italy the same treatment they gave the USA. Crazy stuff in Group at the FIFA Confederations Cup. Italy have some changes they need to make for next year. They are well on track to qualify but they are nowhere near the level of 3 years ago

somebody has to tell that tiny Rossi guy that trying to shoot from 40 yards is not very helpful all the time! It's obvious that he's been partnered with Nihat because all those two do is bombard the goal from way outside the area!

i felt for Egypt after their fantastic displays against Brazil and Italy but USA, I congratulate for not giving up..

it's not going to be a torrid wrack in the semis by Spain (I would expect a 2-0 or 3-0 at most) I think because the most important player for them, and in fact the best player on the planet for me for the moment in my eyes, Iniesta, is out.

and that I believe will make the difference at the end of the tournament..

Rossi was feeling good, because he got that long strike past Tim Howard. Julio Cesar however CAN stop that shot. That's the difference. There's some uncertainty in goal for Brazil and nothing is settled, but if Julio Cesar keeps it up, he'll start for Brazil next year. Rossi's good though, he scored 2 of Italy's 3 goals. With Egypt? Who knows what happened? Not only is losing to the USA an upset(especially given Egypt's recent form) but to get beaten by that scoreline, it's just shameful. Egypt winds up getting last in the group, but they deserved better. Again, for the USA, all they had to do was play one good game, and it got them by. Italy as I said, need to make some serious adjustments. Realistically, we'll have a big final between Spain and Brazil

USA in the semifinals :tup:

Makaronades are out :tup:

I have a feeling USA will receive the worst butt kicking they've ever seen vs. Spain. Spain has got to be the best team in the world at the moment.

hope not

usa 2

los jamones 1

:tup:

yes!!!

suck it spain!

spain are world class but they were never 'godlike' like they were portrayed...THEY CAN DEFINITLEY STILL LOSE.

USA for the CUP!!! who wouldve beleived it!?

USA USA USA!!!

Edited by drakos13

Bravo, USA!!! Just like WC 2002!! Spain is beginning another streak of choking. Why couldnt Greece do something similar in 2005? Check out the slick passing in both USA's goals.