Phantis Forums

STAR International Coming to USA

According to this post on Satleo sent in by a reader, STAR had a deal with DirecTV to launch their international channel 2 years ago but the deal apparently fell through. Now they are looking to launch the channel on cable, supposedly RCN but no deal has been finalized yet. Why are they trying to launch on cable, what about Dish Network?! What areas does RCN offer service in, any with significant Greek populations?

I wonder what other channels (MAD World, RIK Sat?) had deals with DirecTV that never materialized in the channel actually launching?!

And maybe its not on Dish cause there not interested in getting Star?

I was just wondering if they want maximum exposure then why not go with Dish Network, who already carry Greek channels and I believe were the first provider in the US to do so (way back when with ANT1).

Dish probably wasn't interested and smart move on their part as this channel is a waste of bandwidth IMO. Its got very little Greek programming and what it does have is mindless drivel, so-called 'entertainment' shows like gossip programs or talkshows- not my cup of tea. :tdown:

Star had a deal with DirecTV to launch their international channel , The deal did not go threw because Star was asking for to much money so DirecTV void the contract.

DirecTV is working on adding another Greek channel in to the Greek Pack.

DKSat

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting information. I wonder what other channel DirecTV is trying to add. Besides ERT Sat (Which has the obvious problems restricting it from being added), I think RIK Sat would be a good move. What ever happened to Dish Networks efforts of adding another Greek channel?

Star going to a cable network before a nation wide satellite network is a bad move in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

According to this post on Satleo sent in by a reader, STAR had a deal with DirecTV to launch their international channel 2 years ago but the deal apparently fell through. Now they are looking to launch the channel on cable, supposedly RCN but no deal has been finalized yet. Why are they trying to launch on cable, what about Dish Network?! What areas does RCN offer service in, any with significant Greek populations?

I wonder what other channels (MAD World, RIK Sat?) had deals with DirecTV that never materialized in the channel actually launching?!

• 3 months later...

Interesting that they took the time to put out a press release for this yet they cannot find the time to create a page on their website for STAR International. I see no mention of this service anywhere (same with Alter & Alter Globe), why is that?! If they want me to subscribe then they should have some information on their site about the channel and the programming it airs- ERT, ANT1 & MEGA have created a web page for their international services, why can't STAR?? :tdown:

MONO TA LEFTA THELOUNE??

Interesting that they took the time to put out a press release for this yet they cannot find the time to create a page on their website for STAR International. I see no mention of this service anywhere (same with Alter & Alter Globe), why is that?! If they want me to subscribe then they should have some information on their site about the channel and the programming it airs- ERT, ANT1 & MEGA have created a web page for their international services, why can't STAR?? :tdown:

MONO TA LEFTA THELOUNE??

The only Greek channels with reliable information for there International channels on there website are MEGA and Ant1.

ERT does have one but with there program changes all the time its hardly reliable IMO

Archived