Phantis Forums

PAO-Xanthi

athinaios

Anything is possible in this game, and the ones remaining. Yes, the second place will give us 1 point advantage in the playoffs, but it's evident that the players don't give 100%... (remember the Asteras game?...)

Anyway, if you want to discuss this game, here's the thread.... Have fun! I have to work today :angry: :angry: Yes, work on a Sunday :tdown: Maybe I'll pull a performance like out players... :LOL:

Have a good day at work Athinaie. I hope you get a day off during the week to make up.

The linuep is in:

Galinovic, Nilsson, Spyropoulos, Vintra, Wawrzyniak, Mattos, Simao, Karagounis, Gabriel, Cleyton, Salpigidis.

The stadium is just about empty :(

1-0

Beautiful goal by Salpi!

Nice circulation from left to right with some pace, Nilsson to Gabriel at the edge of the box. Gabriel with a defender on his back held and passed to Nilsson again who send a nice low cross to the middle of the 6-yard box where Salpi just pushed it in the net.

H-T

Not a bad game. Xanthi had a couple of good moments as well. We picked up the pace after 30' and the goal was brewing for a while. We've had several nice moments, mostly with good percentage long range shots that sailed wide or high. The other best moment was a nice play down the left by Spyropoulo and a cross to Salpi who hit the post.

66' 2-0 Gabriel.

Another beautiful combination play down the left with a fantastic through ball from Cleyton to Ivanschitz who's shot was blocked by the goalkeeper. The rebound fell into Gabriel's post in the far post who simply pushed it to the net. Cleyton's first touch and pass opened up the whole defense.

Wow, this game might have been one to watch...

Thanks Cyber. I'll have Thursday off it seems, and Friday, like Greeks do on Easter Friday.... not work and pretend to be nice.

I like what you say about good karma--a positive attitude is most important... and that this should be considered the "beginning of the next season"!! This will be a first though... since every year for the last decade PAO scratches everything and starts from square one....

Have you seen the Domazos' interview?

Decent game but certainly not great...Salpi was good today, nice to see Ivan in there and Mattos, who we've been missing all season...a bit of a strange line up in the 2nd w/ Kara, Cleyton, and Xristo...3 offensive center mid guys?? And 1 striker. I would have started Petro in this game.

I agree with Clover on Salpi (but not about Petropoulo). Salpi is a very nimble CF with a nose of the goal. His body type does not fit most people's perception of what a CF should look like, since he lacks height, but his nose for the goal, his quickness, his pace, and his determination cannot be underestimated. For most of the season he played out on the flank or as the SS and scored five goals. In the last six games he was moved closer to the box and lo and behold he scored five goals in six games. Kudos to Salpi for looking so fresh after an entire season.

The rest also played well. Cleyton was mediocre in the first half but he did turn it up in the second. Same with Ivanschtiz who showed that a "left foot" is sorely missed when he is not in. Karagounis was a bit off, but he came from two full games with the NT and now he is going to miss the next 10 days with injury (we'll probably see more of Ivan in his place). Nilsson was excellent and Vintra as well. Ninis showed once again that he needs a lot of work on many areas, and Simao was his usual non-stop running (and shoting to the birds) self. Mattos did an excellent job next to Simao and Galinovic continued his best season as a PAO goalkeeper. Only 6k fans in the stands was a sore spot. That's about 1/4 of the 26k season ticket holders!

Archived