Phantis Forums

Greece - Israel

Genome

Greece - Israel

Heraklion, Pankritio Stadium (Crete) - 21:30 GR Time.

Will we be able to do better than what we did in Ramat Gan? I hope we get enough people in the stands, because what we've seen lately in Athens was really disappointing!

Refs:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece is in need of a victory to remain on course for first place in the group. Can't afford to lose any points under these circimstance, it's only a matter of when will Greece give there best efforts compare to the way they played in Israel.

Greece - Israel

Heraklion, Pankritio Stadium (Crete) - 21:30 GR Time.

Will we be able to do better than what we did in Ramat Gan? I hope we get enough people in the stands, because what we've seen lately in Piraeus was really disappointing!

Agree. Win or draw is ok here. We can do this. Look how well we played in their house. I'm hoping for a full house of Creteans, to pilot the ethniki past the Jewish for 3 points. If we draw here, we'll still be in position which is all well and good, but the Swiss in all likelihood would be 2 points ahead.

I think we'll need to win if we want 1st place. Sure Switzerland might drop points against Latvia and Israel but I'd rather get the win here in order to relieve some of the pressure for the game away against the Swiss. A win in Crete against Israel and then a draw away to the Swiss should give us the group.

I wasn't impressed by our performance on Saturday so I'm hoping for a much improved display come Wednesday. Having Katsouranis back should help (Tziolis will likely sit) but I really hope Otto doesn't revert back to the old 4-3-3 (I'm about 95% sure that he will but I can always hope...).

Israeli Football Association chairman Avi Luzon mocked Greece's heavy reliance on its tall defensive duo of Dellas and Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

"This comical team of Rehhagel, all of them are two meters tall and they are passing long balls all the time," Luzon said. "I believe we can win."

Source.

HERE IS THE EXACT QUOTE......IF THIS DOES NOT MOTIVATE THEM WELL THEY SHOULD ALL HANG UP THEIR CLEATS......A FREAKIN BUNCH OF MINNOWS...THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DONT POUND THEM THE FIRST TIME OUT.....

THIS IS THE DEFINING MOMENT OF THE ENTIRE CAMPAING FOLKS....I CANT BELIEVE WE TALKING ISRAEL HERE!!!!!!!! ITS NOT FREAKIN BRAZIL, OR ARGENTINA.....

3-0 - NOTHING LESS IS ACCPETABLE.....

Again I hope the stadium will be packed, I don't think there is any other country in Europe where so few people turn out as Greece's fans did in the last couple of NT games. Let's teach Luzon a lesson in humility :gr: :tup: :gr: ! Let's see some Cretan craziness! ! ! :tup:

That aside, for the stat lovers amongs us: http://sports.phantis.com/soccer/ntl/greec..._vs.html?cID=27

for us to mentioning greece ad isreal in the same breath as if they are of the same soccer pedigree etc etc is pathetic....look the isralei's have come a long way - give them credit for effort and some decent results....but to me they are nothing more than a glorified moldova....by givng them this much respect it means that greek soccer has progressed very little if at all since 2004 (i say its digressed)

3-0 nothing is not a predction...rather its a rsult that a good team with a killer instinct would produce at home when its needs the win so badly.......what will prrrrrrrobably happen is 1-1 or maaaby we squeak out a 2-1 win....but if the right ream shows up no reason why they cant go 3-0.....you just never know who will show up....

4-1

katsouranis

gkekas (2)

samaras

all netting goals here, I think it is time to show these arrogant *insert religon here* and the world who we are!!!!

zitw i ellas!!!!!!!!!

zitw i kriti!!!!

i really hope the OFI fans put aside their anger at epo and turn up to the match

for us to mentioning greece ad isreal in the same breath as if they are of the same soccer pedigree etc etc is pathetic....look the isralei's have come a long way - give them credit for effort and some decent results....but to me they are nothing more than a glorified moldova....by givng them this much respect it means that greek soccer has progressed very little if at all since 2004 (i say its digressed)

3-0 nothing is not a predction...rather its a rsult that a good team with a killer instinct would produce at home when its needs the win so badly.......what will prrrrrrrobably happen is 1-1 or maaaby we squeak out a 2-1 win....but if the right ream shows up no reason why they cant go 3-0.....you just never know who will show up....

Do you know where some of the Jewish players play? They have multiple players in England. Sahar? He is a Chelsea product. Benayoun? Ben Haim? All in the EPL. Either you're selling them short, or giving us too much credit, perhaps both

This Israeli FA Luzon karagiozi needs to experience some sort of ridicule for saying these things (mind you he is actually correct in me opinion and Otto needs to take a look at what the comments mean).

Anyway I agree with mangas21 that if these players have any sort of self pride (aside from Hellenic pride) they will go out and finish this average bunch...comprehensively.

I expect a clear 3 goal win from Hellas. Not because of any percieved motivations based on the insults but because the Greeks are a better side. Period. End of Story.

If Otto is any sort of man-manager and psychologist he would be using the words to lift Dellas and Kyrgiakos and all his defence.

We'll see what happens. But I wont be watching the match as it is on at some unreasonable time here but if I wake up and find out we were limp and the result is a shock I might as well self-circumcise myself and be done with it.

ZHTW ELLAS! :gr:

But you see, we WERE the champions. I agree we can make a statement by winning this game, but the way Otto has this team playing, we're not as good as we were 5 years ago

I might as well self-circumcise myself and be done with it.

jajajajajajaajajaajajajajajajajajaaj....thats funny sh*t

look, my point is i never thought that the greek national team would be worried about freakin israel.....that's the bottom line......i guess its part disappointment that we never built on the success of 2004, which I felt was or could have been a turning point in greek soccer, both domestically and abroad - skill wise, training wise and perception wise....what better springboard ? but alas, its still a nation of GREEKS (i am one of them) and somtimes many other forces are at work to drag success of the "other guy" down.....

the fact is unless we play consistent soccer and qualify for all torunaments and go deep in a few, we will always be perceived as a "non big" team, and nobody will ever fear us to the point of being defaeted before the game begins...

Well of course. One day we should hope that qualifying for every tournament is expected as it is in Spain and Italy and Germany, etc. and that we've done nothing until we're there. I think it could've been like that had we made it to Germany 2006. For now however, we will struggle to qualify, and if we do make it, having done it would be a big deal. That's just where we are now. Euro 2004 was a dream. It was something anyone who lived through it as a fan or player will NEVER forget. It's not too late to prove it was not a fluke, and that Greek football is good football, but fielding the same team as we have for years is not going to win us these huge games. Other teams have figured us out by now. Time to inject something new to the ethniki, just as all the great footballing nations of the world do.

As for Israel tomorrow, we CAN beat them. But it'll take all 11 players, giving a solid effort for 90 minutes. If we grab the lead, we need to hold it with that defense that put us on the map to begin with. Maybe god forbid, we extend the lead. What a concept! We win this tomorrow, it's a 2 horse race, just us and the Swiss.

Archived