Phantis Forums

INTER- PANATHINAIKOS

athinaios

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that PAO deserves to be in the big league but i think is going to be really hard to win this game.A draw would be a positice result and i agree with NYPAO13 that as long as the performance is competetive i will be happy.

i think fans eyes need to focused on he Ano-Werder game....we really need them to tie that match......

as for Inter, its a very tough match and two big blows:

1- No Mantzios is a huge loss, we need any few chances we do make FINISHED......Thats what hes there for and hes out.

2- No Drakos to shield the team from losing with my unbeated luck streak. Im sorry guys, even though I living only 1 hour 15 minutes away from Milano, I cannot get a ticket, because PAE only give tickets to morons who commit violence and fan clubs in Greece along with travel companies. Greeks abroad wanting to go, no way. If there is some way or a hookup, let me know ASAP. All PAO events I have gone to (many) are undefeated, home and away.

I am quite pissed off that the opportunity to go see PAO comes about and I am not going to be able to go. Who knows I may just be tempted to go to the stadium and sit with Inter, but thats not exactly safe, Inter are the biggest m****** fans in Italy (same goes with their club)

The first game proved that we can play with Inter, but this game will be the toughest of the year (so far) therefore I will predict a 1-3 instead of my usual 0-4 :P

The truth is, I would be happy with a draw, and I would not be upset if we lose, as long as we are not embarrassed.

We still have the same CBs and against a Ibrahimovic-Adriano tandem it would be a miracle to keep a clean sheet. I watched the Inter-Juventous game, and it confirmed that Serie A is ten levels better than our sorry Superleague. I was actually mad that we get to play teams like Thrasivoulos, Olympiakos, or Iraklis week in and week out, while Inter plays against some of the top teams of Europe.

Anyway, I think we need to be careful on defense, and we need to score too, because Inter is probably going to score. With Mantzios out and Sousa turning out to be a big flop (Ten Cate did not even mentioned his name when he said "Petropoulos got his chance because neither Mantzios nor Roukavina could play) we only have Petropoulos or Salpigidis, and maybe even Roukavina to play CF.

I think Simao will play again man to man on Ibrahimovic. I thought he did well in the first game with only one error which should have been mitigated by Nilsson or Goumas. However, I think this time he'll have two CBs behind him.

I think our defense will be the usual: Nilsson - Vintra - Sariegi - Spyropoulos

with Simao in front of them to track Ibrahimovic who likes to move from side to side to overwhelm the fullbacks.

Then in front of Simao I see both Tziolis and Gilberto sweeping and advancing one at a time when we maintain possession.

The rest I can't figure out. I am sure Karagounis will return and I don't see how Gabriel can be displaced from the lineup. The two have good ability to hold the ball in midfield and to get forward in support of the lone forward. I think Ivanschitz would be an asset in this game given his abilities with set pieces, but I don't know if I would take out either Karagounis or Gabriel, or a CM to fit him in the lineup.

The biggest mystery is who will play as the striker. Salpigidis would not be bad, but we do need someone to hold the ball for a few moments as the rest of the team develops on the counter. Mantzios is perfect for that. Salpi gets either dispossessed too easily when he receives the ball with his back to the goal, or he goes down too easily. If he can receive enough balls with face to the goal and some space to run he can score. I don't see Petropoulos or Roukavina starting this one, but I would not be surprised either.

Another big concern after watching Inter again is the big bodies they throw in the box in set pieces. We need some height there and even though Tziolis-Gilberto help, it might be a consideration if Petropoulos is chosen.

Most probably

-----------------Galinovic-------------

Nilsson---Vintra--Sariegi--Spyropoulos

----------------Simao-----------------

----------Tziolis---Gilberto-----------

Gabriel---------------------Karagounis

----------------Salpigidis--------------

As you see, I have been doing a lot of thinking about this one. These are the kinds of games I wait for all year long. A small defeat will not be a big deal, but another performance a-la Werder would be pure ecstasy. In short, we don't have much to lose, and a lot to gain from such a game.

Added: Shhhh, I added Olympiakos name in there because I am sure Dude will be reading :P

Okay. If Cate wants to win this game, there are a few key players. Goumas must start. NOT Vyntra. Tziolis. Tzorvas has been in excellent form lately. Ivan. Kara, NINIS on the right, Salp up front with Ruka. There is no other choice; Ruka has to start. If he uses Salp as a lone striker, then you can forget it. Matos. We can beat these guys.

I dont know what well do about a CF...I think itll have to be Rukavina alone up top, but I think it might be Petropoulos there, because he started there last game...

BTW big PAO win in basket.....

86-69 in OAKA PAO beat OSFP.... :nw:

Ninis and Salpiggidis in the stands and possibly a few other PAO FC players

Athlitiki Kyriaki reported Mantzios and Roukavina as "doubtful", so maybe there is some hope.

Somehow it is reported that it does not matter what Panathinaikos does at Meatza becauese they need help from Werder. Mihos made a ironic comment comment to Knostantinou that Panathinaikos needs help from others even if they win at Inter. That's not true.

I did the calculations after the game against Werder and posted them here.

If we lose in Italy (very possible) and Anorthosis beats Bremen at home, it doesn't matter if we win Ano at home, we'll go to UEFA.

If we manage one point at Milan, and Anorthosis beats Bremen we'll have to beat Anorthosi at home by more than 2 goals to go through to the 16.

If we lose at Inter, and Bremen wins in Cyprus, and then Bremen beats Inter at home, then even if we beat Anorthosi we are toast (go to UEFA) and Anorthosi is even more toast.

So, one point at Meatza would be huge and we'll be controlling our own destiny, needing a win at home against Anorthosi to advance.

I went over the possible scenarios:

PAO draws at Inter and Anorthosi beats Bremen => Pao will need a win with more than 2 goals against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao draws at Inter and Anorthosi draws Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao draws at Inter and Anorthosi loses to Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao loses at Inter and Anorthosi loses to Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao loses at Inter and Anorthosi draws Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao loses at Inter and Anorthosi beats Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify for the UEFA cup (leaving Bremen out).

Pao wins at Inter and Anorthosi beats Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao wins at Inter and Anorthosi draws Bremen => Pao will need a draw against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao wins at Inter and Anorthosi loses to Bremen => Pao would need a draw against Anorthosi to qualify.

"Qualify" in certain cases (i.e. Werder two wins in the next two games) could mean "qualification to UEFA cup".

I went over the possible scenarios:

PAO draws at Inter and Anorthosi beats Bremen => Pao will need a win with more than 2 goals against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao draws at Inter and Anorthosi draws Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao draws at Inter and Anorthosi loses to Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score to qualify.

Pao loses at Inter and Anorthosi loses Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score to qualify.

Pao loses at Inter and Anorthosi draws Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao loses at Inter and Anorthosi beats Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score to qualify for the UEFA cup (leaving Bremen out).

Pao wins at Inter and Anorthosi beats Bremen => Pao will need a win by any score against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao wins at Inter and Anorthosi draws Bremen => Pao will need a draw against Anorthosi to qualify.

Pao wins at Inter and Anorthosi loses to Bremen => Pao would need a draw against Anorthosi to qualify.

At least Mihos won't be able to fool Phantis members ;)

Good stuff there cyberfish. Way to stay focused.

My dad and his friends spent 3 hours trying to figure out PAO's chances while drinking chipouro and in the end starting talking about who makes the best wine.

hey, I can't get a decent ouzo here and you talk about chipouro??!! :angry:

Goumas must start. I wanted Tzorvas but I'm changing my mind. Gali has more international experience. Also, if it turns out to be a nightmare of a game, I'd rather see Gali take the punishment. Tzorvas is the future.

Most likely we'll go to UEFA, but what are the chances (Cyber are you reading this?) to go to the CL?

We can capture the CL second spot under many combinations of results. The win at Bremen was huge and we own the tiebreaker there.

The big key would be beating Anorthosis at home. Not easy, but doable.

In terms of this match day, the easiest path to the CL spot for us is two draws in the two games in our group. Then, if we beat Anorthosi we capture second place.

IF WE LOSE AT MEAZZA AND WE BEAT ANORTHOSI AT HOME, then we need the following results in the two games TO REACH THE NEXT CL STAGE: Bremen win at Cyprus and lose at home to Inter OR Bremen two ties in their two remaining games

Let's see some more combinations of results and possible outcomes for PAO:

Assuming we beat Anorthosi at home last game day, then here is when we qualify for the CL:

Bremen wins at Ano + loses to Inter => Inter-Pao-Bremen-Ano (even with Pao loss in Meazza)

Bremen wins at Ano + beats Inter => With a tie or loss at Meazza we go to UEFA, with a win at Meazza we capture first place and Inter goes to UEFA

Bremen wins at Ano and ties Inter => With a loss at Meazza we go to UEFA, with a draw at Meazza we capture second place (we own the tiebreaker with Bremen)

Bremen ties at Ano + loses to Inter => Inter-Pao-Ano-Bremen (even with Pao loss in Meazza)

Bremen ties at Ano + beats Inter => With loss at Meazza we go to UEFA, with a point at Meazza we capture second place

Bremen ties at Ano + ties Inter => We capture second place even with loss at Meazza.

Bremen loses at Ano + loses to Inter => Pao needs a point at Meazza AND a win by 2 goals against Ano to make the CL, otherwise we go to UEFA.

Bremen loses at Ano + ties Inter => We go to UEFA with a loss at Inter. We capture second place with a tie at Meazza.

Bremen loses at Ano + beats inter => We go to UEFA with a loss at Inter. We capture second place with a tie at Meazza AND a two-goal win over Ano.

Updated here. Someone please erase my previous posts so people don't get confused.

Corrected some and rephrased some other scenarios. Added smilies for more effect and because I have nothing better to do after dinner:

Assuming we beat Anorthosi at home last game day, then here are our possibilities based on what happens in the other games:

:tup: Bremen wins at Ano + Bremen loses to Inter

=> Inter-Pao-Bremen-Ano (even with Pao loss in Meazza)

:unsure: Bremen wins at Ano + Bremen beats Inter

=> With a tie or loss at Meazza we go to UEFA, with a win at Meazza we capture first place and Inter goes to UEFA

:tup: Bremen wins at Ano and Bremen ties Inter

=> Inter-Pao-Bremen-Ano. We capture second place even with a loss at Meazza (we own the tiebreaker with Bremen)

:tup: Bremen ties at Ano + Bremen loses to Inter

=> Inter-Pao-Ano-Bremen (even with Pao loss in Meazza)

:tup: Bremen ties at Ano + Bremen beats Inter

=> Inter-Pao-Bremen-Ano. We caputure second place even with a loss at Meazza (we own the tiebreaker with Bremen)

:tup: Bremen ties at Ano + Bremen ties Inter

=> Inter-Pao-Ano-Bremen. We capture second place even with loss at Meazza.

:( Bremen loses at Ano + Bremen loses to Inter

=> We go to UEFA with a loss at Inter. We capture second place with a tie at Meazza AND a two-goal win over Ano.

:( Bremen loses at Ano + Bremen ties Inter

=> We go to UEFA with a loss at Inter. We capture second place with a tie at Meazza AND a two-goal win over Ano.

:( Bremen loses at Ano + Bremen beats inter

Panathinaikos will increase their chance of CL qualification if they draw at Inter, or if Bremen draws at Anorthosi. If Pao loses and Anorthosi wins this match day, then Panathinaikos can only hope to get the UEFA spot if they beat Anorthosi in the last day.

Thanks Cyber. I, too, think that we should beat Ano in the last game. We have to. B)

Of course, after Wed night things will become much simpler. Inter can't really afford to relax in this game, because if PAO wins they get in trouble.

I think we can get a tie or sneak a win if we show up like we did in Germany. But, I am afraid our defense isn't reliable and if Inter scores early, it's going to be a long night.

My scenario is that we tie Inter, and W-A tie too. :tup:

Panathinaikos has historically produced some excellent results, and for the most part they have come against expectations and against domestic form. Sure, Inter is a powerhouse with amazing players that can manhandle our players on their good day if they are left on man-to-man situations, but Inter is not perfect.

At home so far, Inter barely beat Anorthosi 1-0, and Werder flew away with a 1-1 draw. A couple of weeks ago they went to Cyprus and barely squeaked by with a 3-3 draw. Theoretically, they can beat anyone in the world, but in actual results so far their performance has exposed a few dings in their armor.

And let's not forget the first game in Athens. Panathinaikos absolutely dominated Inter who could barely cross midfield. They did make two goals against our defense that was leaking water at the time, but everyone who saw the game knows that it was only by chance that Panathinaikos did not score a couple themselves.

Since then Panathinaikos has improved on defense. In the last five games in all competitions, Panathinaikos has conceded only one goal. This is a huge improvement for a defense that was exposed time and again even in the easiest of games, and hopefully Pao can keep a clean sheet at Meazza today.

As with every Panathaikos game in Europe against the best, I am optimistic that we can pull another historical win. With the exception of the first game at Anorthosi, Panathinaikos has played excellent games against Inter, and Werder twice. Most of us almost forgot how the draw against Werder at home was the result of a hand-ball. We dominated that game too.

This is a very interesting game. Cyberfish's observations are spot on but there's a difference between this game and Inter's previous 2 games. Inter don't want to be relying on the final game in Bremen for a win so this is a must-win (or at the very least a draw) for Inter. Coming off the back of a win against Juve confidence will be high. On top of that, Adriano and Ibra completely tore PAO's backline apart in the last game when they were starved of possession, so assuming Inter dominate possession this time around (which they should do in Italy) Ibra and Adriano will fancy their chances once again. Overall, I see a tight win for Inter: 1-0 or 2-0.

How many PAO fans are travelling to the San Siro?

its going to be over 4000....i am so sad, so many greens will make absolute mayhem vs Italy's Scum Club and i will not be there....i will try one last scavenge on the internet and pending miracle i will go. Incredibly stupid that PAE will only give tickets to fan clubs and travel agents. There are Greeks in Italy mostly students like myself, its quite unfair...

its going to be over 4000....i am so sad, so many greens will make absolute mayhem vs Italy's Scum Club and i will not be there....i will try one last scavenge on the internet and pending miracle i will go. Incredibly stupid that PAE will only give tickets to fan clubs and travel agents. There are Greeks in Italy mostly students like myself, its quite unfair...

Why are they Italy's scum club? I think that title belongs to either Lazio (Fascist-racists), Roma (violent facists), Juve (match-fixers), or Milan (dodgy owner).

Cyber the game we had against Inter was not good. They had absolute control throughout; it looked like we were dominating when THEY decided to drop back and take their foot off the pedal. They were able to do it and they could afford to, because they won. The problem was our line up. This time though, the players will be the ones we've been using, so it won't be the same. Way too negative in here; either we draw or we win.

Archived