Phantis Forums

Eurobasket 2009

That was one heck of a basketball game! We we're very loud and fanatical of this victory. It's been an unbelievable game, so much passion, so much emotion. I really can't describe it. Give credit to Turkey who never surrenderd in this ball game, they gave us a heart-attack on several occassions. Greece showed us that on a day where they didn't really played there very best, they can still get the job done.

:gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turks are already making excuses."It was the referees". "We didnt have Mehmet Okur". First off, Greece beat Turkey because of free throw percentage (74%-46% in Greece's favor) and rebounding (47-28 in Greece's favor). Regarding the absence of Okur, Greece has played the whole tournament without 4 starters, 2 of whom have won individual awards in Europe.

With a new coach and inexperienced players who won U20 gold in Europe and Fiba U19 silver a few months back, these young players held Turkoglu (the big NBA'er), and Ilyasova (the young Uzbekistani phenom, of Europe, with Turkish citizenship) to 13 and 11 points, respectively, INCLUDING OT, while Greece's Spannoulis and Zisis scored 23 and 14 points, respectively, more than those Turkish "stars".

So, Turkey lost to a "B" team

who said a word about Mehmet Okur ?? he hasn't been included in any national squad since 2007! :huh:

and that 24-second call and extra 4 seconds was an atrociously ridiculous decision by the refs.. though, it takes nothing away from the victory.. refs are a part of the game, and make costly mistakes all the time..

strange tournament it's been.. teams we beat, Serbia and Spain are in the semis. the unbeaten team of the group stages, France, lose to the other group's fourth placed team by 20 points.. and Slovenia, argubly the most impressive team of the group stages, beat a depleted Croatia with a last-gasp shot! I hope Slovenia wins the competition, but Spain are the favourites for sure..

The 24 second call was in Turkeys favour, GS1905.

The game was definitley entertaining, but horrid basketball.

We were laughing about the 44-37 score from last game in 1950 or whatever..

That was like tonight almost, ~29-26 half time :LOL:

Think about it, we score, and our points are taken back and given 4 seconds of offense? We just earned points had them taken away after a steal, and instead of a reknewed clock we get a few seconds?

It's a disadvantage to Greece, sure we scored 3 pointer, but that could have more easily missed, but the point is Turkey was given an advantage, in that the points were taken away and only had to defend 4 seconds of possession.

Greece simply made the most of a referee decision against them. The points should have counted from the beginning. Every 2 points in that game was crucial.

I think Slovenia will win, so I hope. Spain are the big favourites, I don't see this Greece being able to beat them. You never know though as Spain have lost to Serbia and Turkey. Still I see Slovenia-Spain final since the early stages of this tournament....Hopefully Slovenes will win. I hate Spain.

The team has done very well to make it so far. But, I seriously hope the level of play improves by next year, or we will not get so far. Thankfully, by then we should have players back.

And whats with Koufos missing 3 games with stomach illness?? We need that depth....

Turks are already making excuses."It was the referees". "We didnt have Mehmet Okur". First off, Greece beat Turkey because of free throw percentage (74%-46% in Greece's favor) and rebounding (47-28 in Greece's favor). Regarding the absence of Okur, Greece has played the whole tournament without 4 starters, 2 of whom have won individual awards in Europe.

With a new coach and inexperienced players who won U20 gold in Europe and Fiba U19 silver a few months back, these young players held Turkoglu (the big NBA'er), and Ilyasova (the young Uzbekistani phenom, of Europe, with Turkish citizenship) to 13 and 11 points, respectively, INCLUDING OT, while Greece's Spannoulis and Zisis scored 23 and 14 points, respectively, more than those Turkish "stars".

So, Turkey lost to a "B" team

Actually i'm not good to understand refrees were good or not but with my little knowledge the 24 seconds call was critical and wrong call. Anyway absolutly it wasn't the reason which caused Turkey to lose because after this Turkey had the chance and advantage again to win but couldn't use it...

For Mehmet Okur i have never heard his name as a wish to participate with Turkey in Euro2009...

Turkey lost because Turkey couldn't take rebounts Turkey lost because the key players who have to take responsibility such as Hidayet Turkoglu, Ersan İlyasova played terrible (i have to give Ersan' right he was perfect except this match, But Hidayet was worse of the team).

Free throw percentage (74%-46% in Greece's favor) this is true because we have Omer Asik who is playing with %20 percentage and Greeks we doing foul to him as a clever act. Kerem, Omer Onan, Ender played how they have to play.

Anyway to look at the history and to make a guess wasn't logical that. when i told my Guess that Grecee was favourite i realised Turkey' performance was decreasing with Slovenia match, and our key player Hidayet was terrible he scored only 2 points. Our free throw percentage was the same because of Omer Asik.

So if we look at the history and make our Guess Hungary National Football team is favourite against Turkish or Greek National Football teams...

Name of the Final;

Serbia & Spain

What a pitty for Slovenia, i wanted to Slovenia to win i think they deserved to win more but also Serbia played respectively...

Now Spain is big favourite for Gold...

Now i remember that Turkey beated these two teams with exellent games and now they play for Gold, Turkey play to be number 7 or 8 :( To be tournument team is another qualification, just to play best for 1 match is not enough this is what Also Slovenia had against to Serbia.

well good job to the guys, Slovenia was a bit poor though.

Sofoklis Sxortsiantis is transforming like a maniac. Super player this tournament, deserves majour credit. 23 points 6 rebounds today!

To be honest, I expect much better from the team in the future, there was some really bad and careless basketball. Even when were bad were still able to take 3rd, thats something great about this team though.

But, heres the good news:

Add all this up:

Thet team has really only trained together for 2 months, new coach.

We had 4 players out originally. Koufos got injured mid tournament too. 5 injuries on a basketball team is half a team.

Koufos has only played pro for 1 year. More NBA expereince and development for this year.

Kalathes has only played college. Signed for PAO, he should develop too.

Papanikolaou was not included in the team but signed for OSFP. He's already a star for the youth team, and he's going to develop too this season.

Printezis will go play in Spain, could get better.

Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Tsartsaris and Vassilopoulos will be returned.

This whole team has gained a valuable tournament experience.

I'm hoping for a medal in Turkey next year, and I'm hoping for our first Olympic medal in 2012! Our team is only going to get STRONGER.

Just looking at the statistics....

Spanoulis is #1 player in the tournament for most turnovers.

Averaged 3.9 per game, had 35 turnovers in 9 games.

The 2nd place was some polish guy then there was Diaw with 2.6 per game....

The 2nd highest turnovers total was Turkoglu --- who had 23 turnovers in 9 games....

12 more turnovers than the other highest in the tournament is wayyy too many. Same amnt of games too.

I hope he sees that. We really need a stronger Spanoulis next year.

• 2 weeks later...

you are right about Spanoulis, but he had the whole team on his shoulders. He was the set up guy. He did well in that he did not have Diamantidis to help set up the ball to him, it was like he was carrying the team on his shoulders. When the other guys return Greece will be more powerfull and my dream is that we knock Spain out of the worlds.

a

Archived