Phantis Forums

Greece - Denmark

dark_horse

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wheres the list of domestic players?

Koutsianikoulis???????? Come on. Definitly not ready for the NT.

Why the HELL is Lyberopoulos still being called up???????????? What are we preparing him for? We could easily fill that 4th striker postiion with some younger or more inform player. Even Petropoulos would not be a bad idea.

Why no Ninis..again....Come on....are we ever going to have a new generation come in?

unless the lineup is interesting or new, im not really going to waste my time watching it. it screams to be me a dull 0-0 draw. Im going to watch the england game with spain probably instead..... theres no way im going to watch xaristeas and katsouranis drag there asses out there and basinas, lyberopoulos come on there...Id much rather watch some football.

Why the HELL is Lyberopoulos still being called up???????????? What are we preparing him for? We could easily fill that 4th striker postiion with some younger or more inform player. Even Petropoulos would not be a bad idea.

Why no Ninis..again....Come on....are we ever going to have a new generation come in?

unless the lineup is interesting or new, im not really going to waste my time watching it. it screams to be me a dull 0-0 draw. Im going to watch the england game with spain probably instead..... theres no way im going to watch xaristeas and katsouranis drag there asses out there and basinas, lyberopoulos come on there...Id much rather watch some football.

The fact is we have no left sided midfielders so instead of not having anyone why not call up a kid now, in friendlies, and test him?

He has skill and ridiculous pace and you saw what he did to PAO ;) Even against AEK, where Ergotelis offered nothing going forward, Koutsianikoulis was very dangerous. I saw the game between Ergotelis and Ira today for instance and the kid wasn't really involved, this is probably because every time Ergo got the ball they either launched aimlessly forward and the build up play was sloppy. In the Greece NT he'd be used alot more wisely and I think in a 4-3-3 (which Otto is insistent on playing) he could be a very dangerous and explosive weapon. Even if he isn't the finished article now, he'll need NT experience to get to that level so he deserves a call up.

Petropoulos on the other hand is a ridiculous idea! :P

Otto has now shown that he is NOT interested in the long term success of the Greece team.

Either that or the likes of Ninis & co are not as good as we think they are.

It can only mean that Ninis and other younger players are not in his plans for the WCQ games. Then they also wont be playing should Greece get to the finals.

If Otto was Greek they would have got rid of him ages ago but he is foreign so he must be good!! Typical Greek mentality.

I bet Otto takes the piss when he's at home talking with his wife about the stupid Greeks. Just like he patronised Greece after that debacle of a defence of the euro title last year.

Even if Greece win this next game it doesnt change things. What a farce

unless the lineup is interesting or new, im not really going to waste my time watching it. it screams to be me a dull  0-0 draw.  Im going to watch the england game with spain probably instead..... theres no way im going to watch xaristeas and katsouranis drag there asses out there and basinas, lyberopoulos come on there...Id much rather watch some football.

The fact is we have no left sided midfielders so instead of not having anyone why not call up a kid now, in friendlies, and test him?

He has skill and ridiculous pace and you saw what he did to PAO ;) Even against AEK, where Ergotelis offered nothing going forward, Koutsianikoulis was very dangerous. I saw the game between Ergotelis and Ira today for instance and the kid wasn't really involved, this is probably because every time Ergo got the ball they either launched aimlessly forward and the build up play was sloppy. In the Greece NT he'd be used alot more wisely and I think in a 4-3-3 (which Otto is insistent on playing) he could be a very dangerous and explosive weapon. Even if he isn't the finished article now, he'll need NT experience to get to that level so he deserves a call up.

Petropoulos on the other hand is a ridiculous idea! :P

i know he skilled and good. hes not consitent yet. Give him a year or two. I do expect him on the team in the future, but hes too young to be making an impact this year I beleive.

It cant hurt to try him, but i think that Otto is looking to prepare a team for upcoming matches not the "future". Lyberopoulos just needs to get off that team we serioulsy should not be wasting our reserve spots on players in their late 30s out of form. Let the younger players fill our benches and train and get substitute time. Lybe should absotluley not be called up in 2010.

I mean seriously assuming we make 2010 - who the hell are we going to have ready in terms of young players? Xalkias? Lyberopoulos? Basinas???!? Dellas?

Petropoulos is actually shown to be pretty good. He could be on the team in the future, he is a good point forward. Hes not first on the list, but one day could be considered seriously.

Mantzios i agree should be on the team, hes great on the ball and great finisher.

But that spot has been written in stone for Xaristeas no matter how bad he plays.

unless the lineup is interesting or new, im not really going to waste my time watching it. it screams to be me a dull

Saw Denmark two years back and they didn't seem to have it any more. :tdown:

Btw, this fixture takes me back...The first game of the Greek NT I ever followed - on radio - was against Denmark: a 4-2 victory thanks to G. Sideris (2) and M. Papaioannou (2). Don't ask me the year! :rolleyes:

hmmm...sorry dude, i can't really agree with pantos.

- i don't think spyropoulos is crap. if he is, then pantos is decomposed flesh. pantos is a positive testament to weight training, but other than that...has no real offensive ability and in europe, outside of the greek league's referees is a card magnet. what in the world possessed you to name him?

if i had my druthers, i'd play a 4-3-1-2...samaras as target-man. playing direct football, the onus is off a holding-type defensive central midfielder. my answer here is papastathopoulos. katsouranis & torosidis playing higher and papastathopoulos the deepest.

i don't put much stock in friendly results - i was encouraged to see katsouranis play that constantly in motion 'box to box' itineraries against italy - we saw katsouranis make a splendid attacking run only to allow his heading to let him down when presented with a pin-point cross off the foot of spyropoulos.

if all healthy, i'd lay out this 11:

----------------------------------------who cares--------------------------------------------

seitaridis-------------------papadopoulos-----kyrgiakos---------------------spyropoulos

------------------------------------papastathopoulos----------------------------------------

---------------------------torosidis---------------katsouranis-------------------------------

---------------------------------------samaras-----------------------------------------------

---------------------------charisteas----------gekas----------------------------------------

i do like ninis, but only wide right in a 4-3-3. i don't see any role for ninis is a 4-3-1-2...i'd say ninis may win only 2 out of 10 direct balls if ninis played in samaras' role. greece struggle to string 3-4 passes on the ground going forward to be able to get the ball on ninis' foot..so, i see samaras and amanatidis as the answer at this target-man position.

as a target-man, i really like the knock-down options for samaras in katsouranis & torosidis and the flick-on options with charisteas & gekas. with charisteas & gekas playing as central strikers, i see the opponents utilizing 2 centerbacks on that pair, and using a - 'smallish' in comparison to a centerback - defensive midfielder on samaras. i'd rate samaras' chances of winning direct balls jumping with a midfielder, more so than a centerback.

of course, these are our opinions - and most likely, otto will wheel out the same makeshift players in key wide positions; that by default - handicap the side (especially offensively) from the get-go.

I rate Pantos. He has alot of pace, he's good in the tackle, he's a good man marker and is very determined. These qualities have made him very useful for Olympiakos in the last 2 seasons in Europe with Olympiakos and he deserves a chance. Spyropoulos' positioning is poor, he's quite weak and he lacks imagination. Did you see the PAO-PAOK game? Every time he got the ball 40 yards from goal he'd just launch an aimless long ball into the box, giving away possession 90% of the time. I have no time for things like that. At least Pantos tries to play the correct way. He prioritises defending but is willing to get forward and if there's no incisive option available he plays a simple pass. That alone is a very underrated and important skill to have because it allows you to maintain possession. The fact is, no one has done the job at left back and a man that plays frequently in the best team in Greece deserves a shot imo.

I like the general ideas of your team, but I'm not sure the system would work because we'd have no width at all. Theoretically, Spyro and Seitaridis would provide the width and when they are forward and the opposing team has possession Papasta could drop into defence, so it works. In reality though I don't think that would happen. Seitaridis doesnt get forward as much anymore and when Spyropoulos does get forward he's there because he plays high up the pitch, not because he gets up and down the pitch. In other words expecting width from him will mean he will ignore his defensive duties. As for Papastathopoulos he doesn't have enough pace to play in the holding midfield role, he'd get caught out way too much and he'd end up like Antzas against Sweden.

But like you say, these are just our opinions. We'll never know because Otto has lost the plot.

----------------------------------------Tzorvas--------------------------------------------

seitaridis-------------------papadopoulos-----kyrgiakos---------------------spyropoulos

---------------------------------------torosidis----------------------------------------

---------------------------Karagounis---------------katsouranis-------------------------------

---------------------------------------samaras-----------------------------------------------

---------------------------charisteas----------gekas----------------------------------------

AEK 66, I really like a lot about these selecetions. I believe that Torosidis would be best used as a central midfielder. IF Olympiakos trades him to a bigger club, you see, that is wehre the team will use him. He plays so much defense because both Greece and Olympiakos have no world class defenders.

Instead of your formation, I would play a 4-4-2. However the middle is a diamond with a DM and an AM

Archived