Phantis Forums

Greece v Switzerland

AEK_ADELAIDE

A big big game for Greece, a win here and you could almost say we have booked one of the two top spots in the group.

By the looks of it Switzerland havent been playing well with some disappointing results, such as the loss against luxembourg and a 2-1 win over latvia...

While we have had 3 very good wins to start the campaign, with a 2-0 win and 2 3-0 wins. keeping a clean sheet here is vital

I think we can win this one but it is going to be a hard game. current form does not matter to me.

prediction:

a very tough 1-0 win to greece

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i see a hard faught victory here, 2-0.

i think we will win, Greece hasnt been playing bad and seems to be improving, i am comforted by the fact we have scored 8 goals in 3 games.

smaras imo will hit form for the thniki this match, he has been unlucky not to score and i think he desreves a double at least!!!!

They'll be tough to break down. Senderos always ups his game for Switzerland and he'll be very good aerially. Inler and Barnertta are superb in the middle and Katsouranis, Basinas and Karagounis will need to have a big game. Behrami will also test Torosidis and our boy will have to be be ready to be defensively astute as well as offensively effective. Up front they aren't too great Frei is experienced and Derdiyok has good movement (if he plays). In summary, they'll be more solid than spectacular and will have to take the game from the scruff of the neck and put incessant pressure on them if we are to win. If we had a packed stadium with a vocal crowd I'd predict a narrow win, as things are though the game will be, in effect, on a neutral ground. So I'm seeing a 1-1 draw.

They'll be tough to break down. Senderos always ups his game for Switzerland and he'll be very good aerially. Inler and Barnertta are superb in the middle and Katsouranis, Basinas and Karagounis will need to have a big game. Behrami will also test Torosidis and our boy will have to be be ready to be defensively astute as well as offensively effective. Up front they aren't too great Frei is experienced and Derdiyok has good movement (if he plays). In summary, they'll be more solid than spectacular and will have to take the game from the scruff of the neck and put incessant pressure on them if we are to win. If we had a packed stadium with a vocal crowd I'd predict a narrow win, as things are though the game will be, in effect, on a neutral ground. So I'm seeing a 1-1 draw.

oh come on it wont be a neutral ground man....its our biggest game at home, and we did give a good start and put 3 past Moldova..so people should have some recently restored faith and interest (some people, I am sure that most people who are interested in going probably chose to go to the Swiss game instead of Moldovan one .....

well take this one 2-0..... :tup: :gr:

OTO has been playing this smart.

He hasn't given any playing time to all these other players because he wanted the same 11 to get used to each other. Built some continuity.

I think we will beat the Swiss. I do however fear that if we beat the Swiss that after wards everyone on the team will be complacent. Expect the same 3-3-2 lineupwith the two wing backs in this game.

Expect to see Ninis and another youngester in the next game.

Possible lineup

-------------------------CHALKIAS

-------------AVRAAM---DELLAS---KYRGIAKOS

GIOURKAS--------------------------------------TOROSIDIS

--------------BASINAS---------KATSOURANIS

--------------------(KARAGOUNIS??)

SAMARAS--------------GEKAS--------CHARISTEAS

Israels 1st minute penalty was lucky and they ended up winning which hurts us. We need to ensure 3 points in Switzerland in order to keep our spot atop and keep our troops confident. I really hope they can come out strong and score an early goal. I liked today's formation a lot, but i dont know if we can play it vs Swiss. I wouldnt totally be opposed to it though. 3-4-3 would be a good option.

My final score is 2-0 Greece :tup:

I like what Oto said in his press conference."The WC qualifiers start now for us and this upcoming game against Switzerland."It is a big game and is anything but easy.If we win,we get one of the top 3 teams of our group out for good,while if we lose,thinks will get complicated.I hope the stadium is full and gives an extra boust to our boys.I will be happy with a 1-0 win.

Don't mean to change the subject here guys.... But as I read these posts I see that some of you are backing Otto's moved on and off the field and it seems that not too long ago we wanted his butt gone.. It's amazing what patience does..

As far as the game the Swiss are going to come at us. They are the underdogs and they are going to be chasing...

Lets hope that out frontline continues to score and if that's the case I see another 3 points for our country..

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

greece scores first.....we get some confdence and we score again.......we relax a bit and switzerland scores, 2-1......switzerland starts to cheat and we beat them on a counter and and score again....final 3-1 greece...

rational: new system, more offensive....put them back on their heels....this assumes 3-4-3 again, same personel, same box to box play from the mids....if they get tight becuase of the more skilled opppnent, we may see a 1-0 game either way.....

team needs ot learn HOW to play "the best defense is sometimes a good offense"....

Swiss aim to avert Greek tragedy

Greece are firmly back in business, sitting proudly atop 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ European qualifying Group 2 on maximum points from three games, scoring eight goals and conceding none in the process.

The superb start seemed a remote possibility in the aftermath of the Greeks’ hugely disappointing UEFA EURO 2008 in Austria and Switzerland, where they arrived as European champions but promptly set an unwanted record with the statistically worst trophy defence in the history of the competition. "I’m actually not that disappointed, because I know what we’re really capable of," coach Otto Rehhagel insisted at the time. His words now appear prophetic.

Full article at FIFA.com.

We need to get some shots on Benaglio. He's terrible, and is prone to howlers. We can't take the Swiss lightly, and I don't think we will. We'll keep going hard until we get the Jews off our tails

re: Otto.

I am one of those that wanted him gone for sticking with players who are undeservedly hoggin spots that should go to others, particularly younger players who have produced at the club level. I still maintain that he needs to do this because if we get to the WC, speed will be a problem for us.

So far he has not done this enough and unless he brings on Ninis, Pappa, et al, we will face cohesion problems should they need to be introduced later.

Don't mean to change the subject here guys.... But as I read these posts I see that some of you are backing Otto's moved on and off the field and it seems that not too long ago we wanted his butt gone.. It's amazing what patience does..

As far as the game the Swiss are going to come at us. They are the underdogs and they are going to be chasing...

Lets hope that out frontline continues to score and if that's the case I see another 3 points for our country..

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Is it the same Otto??

Introduced Avraam,Samaras into the 11. Sat Basinas game 2 ,pushed Giourkas and Toro to new spots.

At least he has adjusted and made moves.

mids playing higher with more support from the back is the ONLY way we can take advantage of ANY increased firepower on offense.....this requires that these guys commit to playing higher without fear of being caught o a counter.....

otto comments regarding araam were tellng especially when he mention that he helped on offesne.....fresh legs vs. not so fresh legs.....soccer IQ (positioning etc) does help ala basinas and kastou etc.......tha helps to a point....but no substitute for lung capacity and young legs to get back...

as i say before greece's instinctual play is defense and i think no matter how high they play defnding comes naturally.....with more cionfidnece in their more offensive style, the defense will take care of itself..

let not kid ourselves...this is not brazil we are talking about, but teams need to respect their offense, not just counter but build up, pressure in the opponents box and as a result keeping the other teams on the defensive....

Basinas should be a sub. This way if he's called into a game he won't have to play as long so lung capacity should not be a big issuel.

In some games from the last few years he has run out of gas and a mid-fielder with no pace or wind is bad news.

Basinas does still add experience and that can be useful but he can't be out there for 90 minutes against a quality opponent.

Greece should beat the Swiss whether he plays or not as they are a better squad overall.

Greece 2 - Swiss 1

Archived