Phantis Forums

Winter 2009 transfers

cyberfish

The talk about Panathinaikos needing players began the day after the summer transfer window closed. The team left some glaring holes at CB and a smaller one at CF, and the team perormance so far has verified the need to sign at least one (many, including myself, thin we need to sign two) Center Backs, and one Center Forward.

Of course, the news channels have began floating some names, and even team officials have hinted that they are scouting for a CB (and maybe a CF) already. It will be interesting to see if this time management can make some good moves. Last summer, ownership was still developing, and both coach and technical director came into the team kind of late. This time they have all the time in the world, and they have a good picture of what the team is capable of doing and what's needed. They, and we'll get a better picture after the group stage is over (we already have two losses in two games), and most importantly, after the game PAO-Olympiakos is over (we already lost to the other title contender).

So, what are the names?

I read today that Loizao, Oier, and Metselnder are available (whatever that means), and that we are interested in Kalinic, Sebastian Tamas and Dorin Gogian.

I suspect we'll see more than 20 players 'floated' by agents in news channels in the next three months. But everyone also mentions how dificult it is to sign any good players during the winter season. For what is worth, Wanzik and Warzycha came to PAO during a January transfer season, but so did Gonzales.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to have TK tell us what are his plans? And, that he is the one to make the final decision without interference from management & agents. His boses should just inform him of the budget and let him select the players. This way we'll know whether he's a good coach for us based on his work and results.

Despite all the better players we good this season, the team hasn't gelled yet. We're still eratic in performance.

Btw, whenever PAO managed to do well, our defense was solid! Both domestically and in europe. Not to take anything away from Ano, but copping 3 in Cyprus demonstrated, once again, our troubles in the back.

Well we're obviously lacking in defence, this is our weakest point but I don't know if a center forward is really necessary at this stage since we haven't even seen enough of Rukavina, and Mantzios was out of it for a while; both of these players need to be given more playing time. I wouldn't be totally against it though. And so far Sousa has not impressed me.

Well i ll have to disagree with Drakos i think about at least Rukavina.

This guy has touch with the goalnet and has great dribble.

He played better than all the other transfers we had past summer in comparison with the time and number of games he has played.Cleyton is doing mostly well to but still needs his time.

Zilberto is definitively way better than Tziolis (how did you call him ? constant? :LOL: )

Christodoulopoulos i ll agree with you hasnt shown anything yet

and Mellissis i wont judge him since i havent seen him play as CB.

Tzorbas shows me that he is going to be our Starting keeper from now on for the whole Season.

as for Souza maybe he hasnt scored much but have you ever noticed in the games in which he played how many defenders he pulls on him? Thats something we where definitively missing the past years so that our quality strikers have the room to move in the box.

He played better than all the other transfers we had past summer in comparison with the time and number of games he has played.Cleyton is doing mostly well to but still needs his time.

Zilberto is definitively way better than Tziolis (how did you call him ? constant? :LOL: )

Tzorbas shows me that he is going to be our Starting keeper from now on for the whole Season.

as for Souza maybe he hasnt scored much but have you ever noticed in the games in which he played how many defenders he pulls on him? Thats something we where definitively missing the past years so that our quality strikers have the room to move in the box.

I agree hes better than Tziolis.

But Tziolis would be 3rd pick anywyas.

Performance wise so far, Gilberto hasnt been as strong in the DM position as Simao, and no better than Mattos. We really didnt need him, it was already a very strong position on the team, we had no reason to spend unproportionally higher to what was one of the strongest positions on the team when others are lacking so bad.

Zilberto is definitively way better than Tziolis (how did you call him ? constant?  :LOL: )

I agree hes better than Tziolis.

But Tziolis would be 3rd pick anywyas.

Performance wise so far, Gilberto hasnt been as strong in the DM position as Simao, and no better than Mattos. We really didnt need him, it was already a very strong position on the team, we had no reason to spend unproportionally higher to what was one of the strongest positions on the team when others are lacking so bad.

I think that its out of argue that Zilberto was never only though to be the completely defensively oriented DM in the team cause this is Mattos job who isnt as good in bringing the team forward.

Also Zilberto still needs his time to get used to his new team.

Take a look in his last NT game where Selecao won 4:0

He got thew third highest grading of the brazilian players with 7.5 behind Kaka i think with 8 and Robinio with 9.

His coach is talking only the best about him even though he is one of the oldest in the team he is still always in the starting 11.

Zilberto will take his time but he will be one of our future leaders

It's also about marketing. The new owners/management asked me about it, and I told them:

* Show that you can spend to bring the best.

* Show that PAO will be dealing from a position of strength from now on.

* Buy a few big names so the fans will be impressed; getting a starting player on the Brazilian team is impressive!

* Bring the fans back to support the team; they'll do that if you do the above and show them something is changing.

:P <_<

really the clause was uncecesary.

Who cares if he goes to Gavros?

Id rather have him playing in Gavros squad than somebody at least half decent :LOL:

He was pretty much gone anyways. Some good memories, a long time ago, but the last 2 years he has dropped his level of play enormously, and simply cant hack it anymore. He played in way too many games last season and simply could not do anything. He had a few goals mostly penalties, but overall he was just a poor player, he wont do for a team aiming to be in Greece's #1 let alone top 3.

Anyways, he had a long career and here are some top moments to remember:

Archived