Phantis Forums

Ernesto Valverde

Olympiacos-Sydney

It has been a wierd 2 months, knocked out of champions league, our team is not playing well, and we seem to struggle to score goals in the 1st half.

Ernesto Valverde is as reported from his country of spain an up and rising coach.

a new breed. But is he the right man for a club that has been through more than 10 coaches in 8 years ( estimated ).

my opinion is simple, Ernesto Valverde is still an apprentice in coaching, and has been given a task to steer a giant club to success, high expectations, and till now has already failed, and not only on the pitch, but in my eyes he got rid off three players that still had plenty to offer to our club, Lua Lua, Nunez and Ledesma.

cmon is Patsa better than Ledesma.??

now cast your memories to 12 months ago, everyone was well prepared of what was expected, european success and the title. a technical director was installed in explayer Ilija Ivic, the man with many contacts. Takis Lemonis a greek coach who had plenty of passion and love for the club knew what was expected from olympiacos. A model was produced, this is what was needed for the club to compete and this is what was expected.

ie 4-5-1 , we decided to buy players from argentina and off we went,

it was no surprise we achieved our targets.

now back to this season. we spent almost 25 million euros on players, sure we need two strikers another centre mid and in my eyes a left mid that has the ability to give us answers ie Galletti style.

Ernesto has no excuse but to start preforming as a coach and prove that he is a coach with vision, stability and KNOWLEDGE. cause without the last my friends we are doomed. I guess by monday all will be forgotten cause we will be playing

a team in my eyes we should be able to knock 5 past them. but the big test is in a few weeks when we play Aek at home. and future games away to paok, aris and pao. and interesting 2 months await us.. time will tell. not a bad idea to start searching for the next mourinhio. :LOL:

Edited by Olympiacos-Sydney

It has been a wierd 2 months, knocked out of champions league, our team is not playing well, and we seem to struggle to score goals in the 1st half.

Ernesto Valverde is as reported from his country of spain an up and rising coach.

a new breed. But is he the right man for a club that has been through more than 10 coaches in 8 years ( estimated ).

my opinion is simple, Ernesto Valverde is still an apprentice in coaching, and has been given a task to steer a giant club to success, high expectations, and till now has already failed, and not only on the pitch, but in my eyes he got rid off three players that still had plenty to offer to our club, Lua Lua, Nunez and Ledesma.

cmon is Patsa better than Ledesma.??

now cast your memories to 12 months ago, everyone was well prepared of what was expected, european success and the title. a technical director was installed in explayer Ilija Ivic, the man with many contacts. Takis Lemonis a greek coach who had plenty of passion and love for the club knew what was expected from olympiacos. A model was produced, this is what was needed for the club to compete and this is what was expected.

ie 4-5-1 , we decided to buy players from argentina and off we went,

it was no surprise we achieved our targets.

now back to this season. we spent almost 25 million euros on players, sure we need two strikers another centre mid and in my eyes a left mid that has the ability to give us answers ie Galletti style.

Ernesto has no excuse but to start preforming as a coach and prove that he is a coach with vision, stability and KNOWLEDGE. cause without the last my friends we are doomed. I guess by monday all will be forgotten cause we will be playing

a team in my eyes we should be able to knock 5 past them. but the big test is in a few weeks when we play Aek at home. and future games away to paok, aris and pao. and interesting 2 months await us.. time will tell. not a bad idea to start searching for the next mourinhio. :LOL:

Funny how you started this topic, I was just talking about the same sort of subject in the Olympiacos - Panserraikos topic. I was talking about how it is not really Valverdes fault. We have 7 new players on our team, and our starting line up is completly differnet. Valverde cant be blammed yet. The team lacks chemestry. The players have got to get too know each other better. You put a new coach in a new system with a whole new bunch of players who dont know each other, it is going to be sloppy for a while. I hope Valverde is given time, because from waht i read he is a great coach. So far im not impressed with him, but you have to give a new team time. He will get sacked soon though. He will not survive at this club.

Im pretty sure Valverded was not at fault for the departure of Lua Lua. I think he got in a fight with Kokkalis. Ledesma wanted out, nothing Valverde can do. And lets be honest, Nunez really didnt do muhc last year. Although I really liekd him, and he showed alot of potentinal, our team can do much better.

From what I noticed, Valverde likes to play younger players and develop them, somthing I give him real credit for. He seems to really liek mitroglou and gives him alot of chances. Thats really smart, something coaches like Lemonis, and Otto would not do. On the flip side, I think Valverde is bad at motivating the players. He doesnt seem to ethusiastic, and doesnt show too much passion. He is always quite, sitting on the bench, with a straight face. He has got to start yelling at the players more and tell them to wake up.

Thats just what I think of Valverde. Hopefully he lives up to his potential, and becomes a great coach.

i agreed with some of your analysis paxiotis7,

our biggest reason that we sacked lemonis is that the team wasnt playing well.

i dont think rotation is a bad idea, but you have to build a team first, then rotation starts slowly right after you think the team is gelling and playing well.

• 7 months later...

Valverde proved that he can actually work well for our club but his contract extension or not with the Olympiakos management has become something like a "Foskolos" drama series.After 2 meetings(Monday+Tuesday) between Iniaki Ibaneth(Valverdes manager) and Xrusikopoulos from Olympiakos still we have no deal and we will have to wait for friday and the board of directors meeting to get any development on this case.I have a bad feeling about this,it reminds me to much of the Dusan story back in 2005........Just for information purposes,Olympiakos offers the same salary and bonus money for any future succes but also money ditaction in case of any bad results like loosing to Anorthosi.

I think he is gone. He has signed for Sevilla thats why there stalling. Next coach and i hope it aint Ketsbaia.

I think that he is gone but i dont believe that he has signed anywhere else.He really wanted to stay but now Kokkalis is over-f.....k him and i dont belive that this is fair.You got a coach that in his first year he did not go well in CL but really gave you the double in Greece and in my book that is someone that you keep.Now Kokkalis needs to have a solution ready in case we lose Valverde and quick because there can be no time wasted or excuse for failure again this summer.Transfers,preparations,team schedule,training etc can not wait for ever.If Kokkalis wants to replace him he needs someone that he is going to be like him or better.Plus again,it needs to happen NOW.

I believe he is gone as well... The bad thing about this is, that whoever may/will replace him the team will start all over again...

New coach, new system etc. which caused the Champion League failure...

This feels sort of a repeat of the same thing from last year... Except last year it was the late transfers (metagrafes).

I don't know who is pulling the "akra" but for the benefit of the team, at this point it would be better if the Board approves and signs him.

I feel that it's over, not sure why they are waiting till Friday. But if he doesn't sign, I'm not to cool on the idea of Ketsbaia.

Valverde if he does leave, I agree with GreekLunatic in that he will probably go to Seville at the end of the Spanish season.

Hopefully on Friday, it will be a good resolution for all...

I agree with most of you people it is not good to get rid of the coach every year. I also have a feeling the Olympiakos might miss the CL again as it is hard for the players to get ready and learn a new system all at the same time. I hope I am wrong on that point as we need to hopefully have 2 Greek teams in the CL that can hopefully get some points for Greece. I also hope that PAO win the playoffs as they are the only team from the 4 that probably has a chance to make it to the group stage of the CL. I am not trying to put PAOK or AEK down but I really do not think they would make it to the group stage and as I said earlier we need our teams to get some points for Greece in the UEFA standings so that at least 1 or 2 would go stit to the group stage. Anyways thats all I have to say on this and really bad move Kokkalis try keeping a coach for a few years you might get somewhere in Europe and not just win the Greek League. 1 example look at PAO'S Basketball team same coach for 10 years and 4 Euroleague titles. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Terim to OSFP ?

How about this?

The article states Terim is in Kokkalis' mind to be the new headcoach at Olympiakos for the next season. The other candidates are Ewald Lienen, Berndt Schuster -who will almost 90 % coach Galatasaray next year- and Alain Perrin, St-Etienne manager...

Any truth in this rumour ?

• 2 weeks later...

Olympiakos have signed Anorthosis manager Temuri Ketsbaia as manager on a 3 year deal. Upon signing him Kokkalis said:

"Mr Ketsbaia is a young and ambitious person who will achieve the club's objectives. He has the qualifications and we will support him with all the resources possible. He is someone that knows Greek football very well and in our view we should all give him the support he needs in order for him to achieve success... We wanted a person who will work very hard for Olympiacos and I believe we'll have that with him"

What do you all think? He did a magnificent job with Ano but this is a whole different kettle of fish. He's also a former AEK player so many won't accept him regardless of his achievements. I can't see this appointment lasting long. Particularly after Olympiakos have another shocking European campaign and PAO win the league next season! B)

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/ki...sid=833252.html

• 8 years later...