Phantis Forums

Basinas retiring?

AEK-MTL

Well, many of us were hoping to see the midfield "triada" of Karagounis-Basinas-Katsouranis broken up and we got that against Latvia. Now it looks like Basinas might be out of the picture sooner than predicted by most. Wonder whether this means Ninis finally gets his chance?

Well, many of us were hoping to see the midfield "triada" of Karagounis-Basinas-Katsouranis broken up and we got that against Latvia. Now it looks like Basinas might be out of the picture sooner than predicted by most. Wonder whether this means Ninis finally gets his chance?

For Greece Ninis sits on the bench, and in PAO's huge CL game he played with the youth team. Forget him, he won't feature for some time.

Basinas considering retiring from the NT is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel. The guy was exceptionately great when he was in his prime but he's been out of form for so long now he would be doing the right thing to just concentrate on AEK. The article says he was going to retire on the spot but Fyssas convinced him to give it some more time. What does that tell you about Fyssas? By hiring him they've apparently done more damage. Also why does Ninis come up for you guys in the absence of Basinas? He's not a defensive mid; he attacks on the wing. Otto can replace him with someone like Tziolis.

He got his nose out of joint because he was dropped from the starting line up and so he threw a tantrum and threatened to retire!

If he has any sort of integrity he will retire gracefully as he clearly is not up to the standard to play internationals and club matches. I can't believe someone like Taki Fyssas would even attempt to change his mind.

Pliatsikas or Tziolis should replace him for the next internationals.

Basinas considering retiring from the NT is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel. The guy was exceptionately great when he was in his prime but he's been out of form for so long now he would be doing the right thing to just concentrate on AEK. The article says he was going to retire on the spot but Fyssas convinced him to give it some more time. What does that tell you about Fyssas? By hiring him they've apparently done more damage. Also why does Ninis come up for you guys in the absence of Basinas? He's not a defensive mid; he attacks on the wing. Otto can replace him with someone like Tziolis.

Look out Dellas played as adef mid last game...O Otto tha to eidai.

Look Tziolis and Ninis can not start for their club side...they should not start for the Ethniki.

Makos,Pliatsikas at least they are playing.

Ninis plays, dont be ridiculous. He doesnt start occasionally. That goes with pretty much all the PAO wing and AM players its a lot of rotation and sometimes a player doesnt start wether its Ninis, Kara, Ivan etc.

Tziolis, is a diff story. Tziolis we dont need on ethniki anyways. PLIASTIKAS will take the place, and hes better than the current Basinas for sure.

Basinas, step down.....Dont listen to anybody, except for me. Great service, thank you, but you no longer belong here.

Basinas is not finished.  He can still offer a lot.  He is just not a person that can play an effective 90 minutes.  He can offer more in 45 minutes  than most can offer in 90minutes.

Might be stretching the truth.

Basinas costs us big time. He is, useless. "Experience" is not much more than a stupid word. Hell Pele has experience.....why not play him? Too old, out of form etc..... Experience means absolute bull when you cant put in decent performances.

Where is the experience in losing the ball, failing to get back, making bad passes......The midfield is weaker with basinas in. Look what happened to our central midfield vs Latvia* when we played 2 in the center and one of them wasnt Basinas......Way better! We relied on our wing backs to come up and Katsouranis had the role of assisting them in going forward/keeping play wide to work wiht the forwards who were wide coming back too...

I dont want to hear "it was Latvia" either, because they ARE half-decent, and we played 3 days before with an amateur team Basinas and diff system and we were totally hopeless!

45 minutes? Not even. Everytime Basinas goes on the field, it costs us in overall performance of the midfield, stupid individual errors that have been going on for years now (and yes hes also got older since THEN even) and it also costs the opportunity of playing time and adjustment of a younger more likley to be in the team of 2010 player. Lose, Lose.

Basinas should retire. Otto should stop calling him, it is ultimatley the German's fault, but Angelos should step down and let the next generation in.....

Who would take his place? Easy, for one, he doesnt NEED a replacement if we continue the 5-2-3 system which seemed to be the only thing that has worked for the Ethniki in a while, be Latvia useless or not, if the other systems arent working vs even more useless teams, than its hard to say theres no positive in that.

If we need another holding midfielder - Pliatsikas.......had a great game with PAO, hes physical, intense, focused, Otto already has him in training, and IMO hes better than the Basinas of 2008 (which is not very diffcult - forget the Basinas of 2000-2004 this is ANOTHER player) I feel if the player is going to overshadow Basinas on the club level, next step would be on the National team too. The kid has improved a lot...

Tziolis no......Dont need him unless he gets playing time.

But sadly, yes even he could be doing a better job than Angelos, at least defensively he holds it more together, and can pass on the constructive role straight to Katsouranis which he does better.

• 3 weeks later...

Basinas should retire after the World Cup if Greece are to make it. Basinas may not possess great speed or skills, but he is a penalty or set-piece speicalist which is useful to have him. I know some of you may not agree with me, it's a way of what I think. :hypocrite:

Basinas should retire after the World Cup if Greece are to make it. Basinas may not possess great speed or skills, but he is a penalty or set-piece speicalist which is useful to have him. I know some of you may not agree with me, it's a way of what I think. :hypocrite:

I'm a big fan of Basinas. He may not be the player he used to be and he isn't good enough to compete with other aging players because of his lack of movement but his passing ability is still great. So although he shouldn't be in the starting 11 I still think he deserves to be part of the squad.

Basinas has had his day in the sun. He should do the right thing and accpet that and not damage his legacy as a great player. It's really sad when coeaches get too stuck in their ways and keep dialing up the same number hoping they can reclaim the past but it is even sadder when the player keeps answering the call.

While he did not hurt the team this Saturday, he is too slow to really play against better competition. His bad habit of always looking to pass back as a first option is - at least to me - a clear sign of someone who is not confident.

He may not be the player he used to be and he isn't good enough to compete with other aging players because of his lack of movement but his passing ability is still great. So although he shouldn't be in the starting 11 I still think he deserves to be part of the squad.[/b][/color]

this is true but as captain of greece his ego may get the better of him and he may not accept a bit part role.

i'd rather see him retire

Archived