Phantis Forums

ERT World (Ex-ERT Sat)

Yes I noticed that Turkish Soap when I was there recently and everyone I know there stops everything to watch it, quite amazing..... I watched abit of it and did't see any appeal to it...

Ta Mistika Tis Edem on MEGA is very big in Greece, but the last episode was pretty much one big commercial the last episode seemed to be cut down to fit more commercials and leaving people wanting more this is one show that people can't wait to come back

Edited by Kolossos

I personally have had no problem in the quality of some of the shows. There are some good ones, and some bad ones. That happens everywhere. For the record, even some American TV shows are foreign adaptations. As long as they are done well (and/or substantially re-written in some cases), I don't see a problem with them. An idea is an idea after all. Big deal. It's not like a majority of the "original" shows on TV today world-wide aren't similar to other shows in one way or another. Where I personally draw the line is with foreign subtitled or dubbed shows. Like the turkish telenovella on ANT1 (subtitled), and Patty on Mega (dubbed - which is aimed at kids btw). That is when it becomes a joke to me. I could see some merit in them if they re-did them as a Greek production, but just subtitled and dubbed are a joke. And the public is loving this Turkish show on ANT1. Even before, when it was on Macedonia TV, apparently it was getting all sorts of buzz. It end in October, and they are planning to air another Turkish show after that..... :ph34r:

Also I understand how ratings and shares work. And shares are a huge part regardless. And while the shares are high, the ratings are not bad themselves. Take a look on a random date:

Edited by Grk101

Yeah and 27.8 means that 72.2% were not interested in that show either. You make it seem like a 30% share is so much higher than a 20% share. And thus Greek TV has gone down hill. Look at the other ratings around the same time period you gave me as well. They are all mostly 20% and below -- very comparable to today's. So don't make it seem like TV has gone down hill so dramatically. Of course every once in a while you get an absolute hit TV show that draws everyone in. Here is another example of that in 2006 even:

Edited by Grk101

You make it seem like a 30% share is so much higher than a 20% share.

Remember this discussion includes your comment about I ZOI TIS ALLIS

"In fact this show in question was the number one rated show daily in Greece almost all last season. (Sometimes switched spots with the orig. scripted "Ta Mistika Tis Edem" which was usually 2nd.) And not just so-so numbers. If I recall correctly, it was hitting close to 50% daily on AGB. "

I made the point that this bragging about the number one show was based on 80% of TV sets never tuning to it, not on that 50% you keep claiming. You say you understand the difference between shares and ratings, but claims like the above don't show that my friend.

Edited by likos

Remember this discussion includes your comment about I ZOI TIS ALLIS

"In fact this show in question was the number one rated show daily in Greece almost all last season. (Sometimes switched spots with the orig. scripted "Ta Mistika Tis Edem" which was usually 2nd.) And not just so-so numbers.

Edited by Grk101

ERT has posted an announcement on their website about changes to the FTA signal for Europe. It looks like Hellas Sat 2 will no longer carry ERT World, its not listed on their website anymore. The change will be with the Hotbird 6 signal, the new frequency is as follows:

HOTBIRD 6 @ 13.0

• 4 weeks later...

There has being a snag on the proses that i can not disclose on open forum, PCCW Global is working on ERT World to go on DirecTV.

DKsat

Sad to hear there has been a snap. Hopefully it will be resolved asap! I wonder what the snag was exactly though. Money?

• 3 weeks later...

It's very strange what a big difference ERT has for Australia and America regarding there channel its not exclusive and free to air here, while in America exclusive to 1 company and only available free to air with a large dish....

Edited by Kolossos

This really sucks if true. This new company seemed ambitious, and I was really hoping that they would branch out to more cable and satellite providers. Why shouldn't a state owned channel be available on as many providers as possible? I too find it strange that we (here in North America) can't receive ERT FTA in the same manner as the rest of the world. I wish someone would raise the issue.

Let's hope there is a change in the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

There is rumors that ERT World has struck a deal with Verizon Fios.

DKSat

Pointless in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it is great they are finally starting to expand their availability. But Verzion Fios has effectively stopped expanding for a while now. (too high of a cost plus legal trouble)

It is criminal that ERT has not tried to be on major cable systems like Time Warner and Comcast the way RAI has. Of course the Greek government is going to issue "to omologo tis omogeneias." Very clear what they see Greeks abroad to be for: money only.

It is also criminal that the omogenia in North America are treated like second class citizens compared to Greeks in the rest of the world. :tdown: Greeks in Australia/New Zealand as well as Europe don't pay a dime for ERT World yet us here in North America have to pay through the nose for this channel. :angry:

I would like to know why it is that we are forced to pay for this service when it is available FTA in the rest of the world?! Either make it a Free service for everyone or make it a pay service for everyone- who the heck is in charge of ERT World, no one?! ;)

• Lazarus changed the title to ERT World (Ex-ERT Sat)