Phantis Forums

Basketball - Beijing / SPLIT TOPIC

Again to me and a lot of people it is about opinion. You ask that question, another person could ask "do you consider a team that hasn't won any big tournaments the past couple of years as the best?". Again, one will say yes, the other no, given the circumstances (what team are we talking about, how are they playing atm, etc...).

But this is beside the point... you and everyone here will have noticed that I don't know too much of basketball. That is also why, (aside from me always supporting Greece in any sport :)), I don't go into discussions like these. I simply don't know enough or as much as others here to form an opinion on this. (What I'm trying to say is, I'm not telling you you are right or wrong).

In other words I do have no problem with your opinion at all! I am however asking you to be less ... agressive in your posts. When I read this topic I get the feeling I'm reading a thread about politics or religion! No one is going to get their "mira tous", and I don't want people being called racists (which to me is a very severe insult), definitely not when there has been no reason whatsoever for this.

I'm asking you all to take it down a notch...

Again to me and a lot of people it is about opinion. You ask that question, another person could ask "do you consider a team that hasn't won any big tournaments the past couple of years as the best?". Again, one will say yes, the other no, given the circumstances (what team are we talking about, how are they playing atm, etc...).

But this is beside the point... you and everyone here will have noticed that I don't know too much of basketball. That is also why, (aside from me always supporting Greece in any sport :)), I don't go into discussions like these. I simply don't know enough or as much as others here to form an opinion on this. (What I'm trying to say is, I'm not telling you you are right or wrong).

In other words I do have no problem with your opinion at all! I am however asking you to be less ... agressive in your posts. When I read this topic I get the feeling I'm reading a thread about politics or religion! No one is going to get their "mira tous", and I don't want people being called racists (which to me is a very severe insult), definitely not when there has been no reason whatsoever for this.

I'm asking you all to take it down a notch...

That's fine. I'll respect your wishes and opinion. I have no problem with that. Your forum, your rules.

However, I will point out the following-if you did follow basketball a bit more closely, you would definitely understand where the implied racism and anti-Americanism comes in. Nothing EXPRESSLY said, but all it takes is reading just a WEE bit between the lines, and some common sense.

In any event, that's another topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Here's a little something which I found in another forum from a Canadian poster who knows a thing or two about basketball:

"I am not American and really have no love for Team USA.  I watch them as pros but do not care if they succeed at the intl level.  Still I watch that team and have nothing but respect for what they have accomplished so fare this year.  They are playing dominant basketball and still many people on these boards can't admit that.  I understand before the game saying "FIBA team X is going to kill the US" etc but once that doessn't happen I'd like to see some logical analysis.  Instead all I get is "intl teams play like a TEAM", "all the Americans can do is dribble through their legs and jump like monkies" and other such m*****es.  So I respond.  As Team USA stands right now they are the best team in the world by a wide margin (none of these games have even been close).  In the last 4-6 weeks they beat the reigning Olympic champ, host nation, reigning world champ and reigning world second place team.  As well as the team that finished first in the other group.  That to me makes them undeniably the best and I am sure they will show that on Sunday."

I think the above accurately depicts what is going on in these boards as well.

These are most of the inappropriate posts from the original topic, along with part of the posts between Kolokotronis & mods.

They are taken out of the original topic to stand as example as to some of the things we do not want to see here, also this is a closed topic because we don't want any replies to these posts anymore.

On-topic discussion can continue in the original topic.

Archived