Phantis Forums

Got Playstation 3

BlueStriker

I got PS3 recently and the online play is pretty cool. Call of Duty 4 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (might be called something else in Europe) are fun to play online against people from all over the world. Also got Grand Theft Auto 4, not too sure how good the online play for that is.

Anyways, if anyone here has those games and wants to play online, let me know.

Also if you have any suggestions for good games, questions, etc., you can talk about it here.

I have heard the new Metal Gear Solids are great.

Man..I am way behind. I remember the first Metal Gear for Playstation. Simply incredible game. MGS2 was great, I had borrowed a PS2 from a friend and faked sick to miss class and played it all day :LOL: Didnt finish it though...

I could totally fall back into the world of games, but I cant stand the constant need for upgrades.... Be it PC, Console (Console I gave up on after first PSX), plus not having the time etc...

I dont understand though how Call of Duty 4 can be on a console. Personally it makes no sense having those shooter type games without a mouse and a keyboard...Its impossible to do anything accuratley/fluidly with a controller IMO.

That's why console gamers are "inferior" gamers :P ... they use auto-aim :D.

Seriously though I stick to PC and PSP. I borrowed a PS2 now from a friend to finally be able to play MGS3. I love those games, they're art really! The storyline is :tup: ... not even a movie can beat that... Hideo Kojima is a genious! I used to play that first MGS at night on my first pc now about nine years ago... and would sit in class all day like a zombie :D ...

But the need for upgrades is really annoying you're right. The good thing is though that usually you can use your old discs on the new system (like with the Playstations).

Anyways ... sorry BlueStriker for hijacking your thread :D.

true those games are real class. Shame they dont make PC versions (at least till much later). they are like a movie, but seriously better. IMO if i had to make a top game of all times list, theres no way Metal Gear wouldnt make it, and ive only played the first 2.

Thing I dont get about consoles is, theyre basically aspiring to be PC's right??????

Whats the point? These consoles are going to cost more and more for hardware/cabilities/software when PC has all the components anyways, plus you can use it and upgrade it yourself. It just dont make sense..... :blink:

I mean now you can do features on your console that a PC does.....and vice versa you can get external hardware for your PC that a console uses......Theyre really going to be virtually the same thing they are both computers, integrating into each others's advantages faster and faster....

But the consoles do have advantages - no installs, guaranteed performance specs for everygame, simple useage etc. Nowadays you can hook up your computer to new televisions too though....So in theory you could create a console/computer system in your living room.....If I ever win the scratchoff lottery :P id trick the hell out of my PC to make it games/internet/music/home theatre system in one :1eye:

But back to topic: the PS3 seems very impressive...costs are high for software and movies and the system, but its basically a home entertainment peice.

If you have an HD TV BlueStriker I know its compatible with the right cables, and it plays BluRay Discs....

true those games are real class. Shame they dont make PC versions (at least till much later).

Sadly enough there won't be one for MGS3, and nothing has been announced for MGS4 so far, although it's been released on the PS3 for over a month now.

But indeed, back on-topic --> here's a funny vid about the PS3 (and how Sony killed it):

Btw BlueStriker, yes PES has the same name in Europe (it was always called PES here, but it used to be called Winning Eleven in the States I think).

Gee guys, thanks for making me feel like crap about buying a PS3. :tup:

This Metal Gear Solid 4 game, it looks really cool. About how long does it take to beat? I don't like buying games that I can beat in less than 2 weeks, I'd rather rent them for 2 weeks from a video store and pay $8. Plus, after you beat the game, it's worthless unless the game has good online play.

That's why I like Call of Duty 4, you can play online forever.

Grand Theft Auto 4 takes long enough to beat so it's worth it to buy, the only thing I don't like about that game is that it has auto aim when shooting, but it also has "free aim" but you got to be careful to only press the aim button halfway.

Have you guys played Assassin's Creed? I think it's like the game Hitman (great game), but set in medieval times. Also, the new Resident Evil, Far Cry, and Gran Turismo Prologue look like good games.

Any reviews of these games? Don't want to waste my money on a crap game. I already wasted a bunch on a crappy PS3. :LOL:

hey im not saying PS3 is crap man no way. The thing looks like a hell of a nice system.

Im just saying I can track consoles, the PC just makes more sense has more functionality......

Also you have not only a game system but a BluRay player in the PS3.......which is pretty sweet.

Not sure if you are in north america, but they have game rental stuff these days like Netflix Gamefly i think its called. Its best to subscribe IMO instead of having to buy new games all the time. I used netflix last year and its quite an awesome service, if they have for computer games too it would definitly be worth the money IMO. Gotta look into it.

What kind of TV do you have it hooked up to? Do you have an HD?

I know, I was just kidding. I was thinking of fixing up my computer, but I got a laptop that wasn't really designed for gaming. It would of cost too much to get it up to that level and I don't even know if it's capable of performing that well anyways.

The main reason I chose PS3 over Xbox 360 is that you need to pay a monthly fee for online play, it's not much, but it adds up over the year, while PS3 is free online.

I have a 50 in. Samsung High Definition projection TV from a couple years ago, and right before I got the PS3, the damn bulb in the TV went out. I'll be getting it fixed soon though, can't wait to test it out. I really want to see what this BluRay business is all about.

For now I just got a normal 25 in. TV but I got it hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound with a big subwoofer, and I don't think I'm too popular with the neighbors right now. Ever since I started playing Call of Duty 4, I've seen signs posted in my building saying "Quiet Time After 10 PM" :LOL:

Yeah, I've seen commercials for those game rentals. I think there are no late fees, which is great. I can hold on to a game until I finish it. I'll check it out.

I know, I was just kidding. I was thinking of fixing up my computer, but I got a laptop that wasn't really designed for gaming. It would of cost too much to get it up to that level and I don't even know if it's capable of performing that well anyways.

The main reason I chose PS3 over Xbox 360 is that you need to pay a monthly fee for online play, it's not much, but it adds up over the year, while PS3 is free online.

I have a 50 in. Samsung High Definition projection TV from a couple years ago, and right before I got the PS3, the damn bulb in the TV went out. I'll be getting it fixed soon though, can't wait to test it out. I really want to see what this BluRay business is all about.

For now I just got a normal 25 in. TV but I got it hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound with a big subwoofer, and I don't think I'm too popular with the neighbors right now. Ever since I started playing Call of Duty 4, I've seen signs posted in my building saying "Quiet Time After 10 PM" :LOL:

Yeah, I've seen commercials for those game rentals. I think there are no late fees, which is great. I can hold on to a game until I finish it. I'll check it out.

50 inch HDTV :nw:

pity about the bulb...

i think (not sure) that also graphics/resolutions of your PS3 games will be better on an HDTV, so I have heard. You'll need an HDMI cable I think to get the full effect (and to get the BluRay working on their too)

and the 5.1 stereo touch nice job. I bought one of those 5.1 systems for PC and theyre awesome, partic if you can find wall mouts and extension cables you can set them up around your room surrounds sound at a nice price.

I got PS3 recently and the online play is pretty cool. Call of Duty 4 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (might be called something else in Europe) are fun to play online against people from all over the world. Also got Grand Theft Auto 4, not too sure how good the online play for that is.

Also if you have any suggestions for good games, questions, etc., you can talk about it here.

Yo Blue striker i have ps3 too and have the same games as you. Add my online account : Paxiotis

I got PS3 recently and the online play is pretty cool.  Call of Duty 4 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (might be called something else in Europe) are fun to play online against people from all over the world.  Also got Grand Theft Auto 4, not too sure how good the online play for that is.

Yo Blue striker i have ps3 too and have the same games as you. Add my online account : Paxiotis
Awesome! I'll add you soon.

I have a question about PES 2008. Is the gameplay smooth, or is it kind of choppy? I noticed that with most of the online games I play, the ball and players will not move smoothly and sometimes the ball will be further ahead of the player than it actually seems on screen.

With the previous PES on Playstation 2 I rarely had that problem, but for this version it seems to happen all the time. I don't know if it's my connection or if it's some issue with everyone with this new version of PES. Call of Duty works perfect though, so I don't know.

Guest TheLegend

anyone know why the ps3 doensnt have aconverter built into the charger?

I brought it to greece and i could only play 20 miuntes b4 converter over heated.

one day i played 45 minutes on euro2008 (great game btw) and the converter became a smoke machine

anyone know why the ps3 doensnt have aconverter built into the charger?

I brought it to greece and i could only play 20 miuntes b4 converter over heated.

one day i played 45 minutes on euro2008 (great game btw) and the converter became a smoke machine

I had the same problem with PS2 in Greece. I burned 2 converters. Then I used foreign adapter plug, the simple little thingy that goes over the plug so it can fit into the holes. I could play for hours with that. Don't know if the PS3 uses a lot more power, but if it's anything like the PS2, then it should work as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I've gotten a PS3 as a present a couple of weeks ago as a b-day present ... so I'd say anyone who's interested in a match up lemme know.

Right now I have Metal Gear Solid 4 and Tekken 6.

Congratulations! :D

I just noticed your post.

The Metal Gear Solid Game is great, I enjoyed it while I had it. Well the online games I got now are: PES 2010, Call of Duty 4 (Modern Warfare) and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, and Grand Theft Auto 4.

The one I'm currently playing the most is Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (the newest edition). Great first person shooter, if you're into that kind of stuff, I'd suggest getting it. I've barely played the single player, mostly all online.

I'll send you my screen name through PM and you can add me.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...