Phantis Forums

Their downfall is our gain.

trifilli

Usually I support ALL Greek teams in Europe.

However, the opportunity to pocket an additional 5.500.000 may make me reconsider this. :P Assuming this bonus brings in the CB we need.

If osfp doesn't make it to the CL groups PANATHA gets all the Market pool (1 and 2) money given to Greece. That is 5.500.000 more!

Guest TheLegend

Usually I support ALL Greek teams in Europe.

However, the opportunity to pocket an additional 5.500.000 may make me reconsider this. :P Assuming this bonus brings in the CB we need.

If osfp doesn't make it to the CL groups PANATHA gets all the Market pool (1 and 2) money given to Greece. That is 5.500.000 more!

It could be a financial gain in the short term, but less UEFA points for Greece means that all the teams will face bigger obstacles when attempting to qualify for the CL in future. If PAO then fails to qualify for the CL in the future (whether because they don't win the league or because low Uefa points means that the team starts drawing bigger teams in qualifying) then the financial losses will be even bigger then the gains that are made now. Look at the bigger picture...

If Man Utd, Arsenal, and Chelsea hadn't performed so well in the CL in previous years, Liverpool would never have had the opportunity to enter the CL after finishing 4th. In one year they won it, in another they went to the final. Support your league guys.

Dude you said it best. SUPPORT YOUR LEAGUE.

the problem lies where this league has been SO corrupt lately that you almost wish for poetic justice. Look osfp did not deserve the league champion last year, we all know that, & justice was served as a reminder of that with a 3-0 loss by Anorthosis.

Because of the Kalamaria situation of last year, & we can name others from years past, it does become difficult to root for a team like osfp, so i guess when there is an opportunity like this year we can root against osfp, since it can benefit PAO. Then as Greeks we can all ROOT FOR PAO, EVEN THE HUGE PAO HATERS YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE., FOR THE BENEFIT OF GREECE

A 3-0 defecit is not easy to overcome, although not impossible, especially since Kokkalis is attempting to buy some Anorthosis player right now. ;)

To sort of play "devils advocate":

Last year Greece should have got a ton of points I feel. OSFP beating Italian and German teams + progress, PAO, AEK, Aris, Panionios all picked up UEFA points (with Aris+Panionios getting some great results against higher ranked teams (Aris beat Zaragoza, Panionios beat Sochaux, Aris should have also had points against Bolton and Red Star)....PAO only lost 1 game in Europe last season too.

Its true more league points helps the teams get further,definitly.

BUT - when Greece got 3 CL spots...I dont mean to boast, but that was pretty much all Panathinaikos' doing. OSFP was getting murdered and PAO had runs to the second round and quarterfinals, not to mention some impressive UEFA run that could have been finalist/Champion that year had it not been for Mourinho's Porto winning in overtime....

Anyways:

When OSFP wins - league gets points

When OSFP loses, OSFP loses!

Win-Win! :P

I am quite impressed to read that some of you are thinking about the points Greece will get. I have always been for it.

The only downside to that, is the up and down cycle. Greece does not need many teams in Europe, but few good ones.

I have no problem with the qualifying rounds as long as our teams are in the strong category. Playing a couple of rounds before the groups is good practice.

If our teams can not beat the weak teams in the qualifiers, how do we expect them to do in the groups against Europe's giants?

PEACE

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's over. Olympiakos was eliminated and Panathinaikos makes a ton of money to go with all the teasing of our friends for a few months.

The bad news is Greece will be down some UEFA points.

BUT: there other benefits for PAO for this elimination. There is nothing like a bad result like that to start their team in a downward spiral. Defeat brings complains, and complains become contagious. That's good news for our competition in the SuperLeague.

like i said, we r 16th.. bulgaria has 2 teams left and the czechs have all their teams but in the uefa now...i think two of them are on the brink and the other two are sparta and slavia... then depending on how well we do we can go up higher... but its the top 15 that have two teams in the cl.... the top 12 eventually, i think starting next year wil have one team straight through and one qualify. With oly in uefa and pao having hopefully a couple of wins in the cl, i cant see how the czechs will go further.. lets not forget that aris and aek also may be there.

I dont get how we are on pace to move to 13th from 16th after Olympiakos got sent down and AEK is down a goal in leg one and Aris is up only 1 -- and both teams are on the road next match?

As far as geting more points because we are in CL -- that is not necessarily true, look at last year

PAO got to the 32 of UEFA and got 12 points

Oly to the 16 of CL and got only one more point

Archived