Phantis Forums

Opening Day ceremonies

Irlandos

I saw a repeat. It wasn't bad, much better than Atlanta!

A bit of minor controversy however: when they showed the Greek flag :gr: and our contingent marching, they switched to the stands to former King Constantine II and Anna Maria waving wildly to the cameras...

I saw that about the former King Constantine in some greek websites but on the replay of the ceremony here in the USA,that scene was not there.They had the greek squad and made some comments about the birthplace of the games and bla,bla and then they moved on to the next country.

Pretty impresive ceremony and really well prepared.I really feel bad for the next games in London because they can not top that.... :LOL:

I thought it was a lovely ceremony. They did what they do best, get together a massive amount of people and make them move in sync to put on a show. It was very impressive but reminded me a little too much of North Korea's military marches at times. In other words, although the show was impressive it was a little emotionless in my opinion. So I agree with Genome that the Athens one was better, although that might just be a personal bias.

@ Crazy: I have to say, I was disappointed with the British media and public figures who were saying things like "Ours will be better!", and "London can top Beijing!"... why can't they just respect the current show, why do they have to undermine it? <_<

Can I also ask, is there anyone here who believes that the games shouldn't have gone to China or that the major countries should boycotted the event? What are your views guys?

I think I can be objective in the sense that I often criticize the Greek ineptitute, though, of course, I have personal taste. The ceremony in 2004 was much better in my view. I liked the artistic value, the message, and the imagination. Let's not forget that when the planning was made for that Olympiad technology was much older by at least 6 years. (just think of the computer you can buy today as compared to the one 5 years ago!)

For example, the Water Cube is an engineering marvel, designed because of the very latest computer programs. The eight-sided cubes in the structure came out of high mathematical computations.

Anyway, back to the ceremony, I'm not a big fan of a mass society. I know I'm politically-minded in this, so I acknowlege my bias. But, though impressive to move so many people and show BIGNESS, HUGENESS, and whatever, I look for other visuals to get excited.

If I were an official I'd never say "we did better" or "we'll beat you in 4 years" because I'd like to respect a country's efforts to put up a show for all humanity to enjoy.

Talking about the ex-king is stupid. This sob is a member of the IOC (an utterly corrupt organization) and the more the greek media talk about him, the worse. I don't know if the chinese showed him on purpose or didn't know any better.. The worst damage to the Greek image is the dopping scandals!

The English usually think they are better or will do better. And that's ok, but they should keep it to themselves, no one wants to hear that while trying to enjoy the Chinese ceremony. They've been whining about security problems in Greece and now to a lesser extent also in China for the Olympics. I hope though for their sakes that they WILL do better ... because they will need it. There's no money in the world that can get me to go to the London Olympics. Because if an attack were to happen it will be there, not in Greece, nor China.

There's no money in the world that can get me to go to the London Olympics.

I told you guys, Genome would not want to go! :huh:

But, I think we should look for someone else to send from Phantis to the London Olympics (all expenses paid).

I'm enjoying the Beijing Olympics [thanks Phantis! btw do "incidentals" cover massages? I don't want to pay out of my own pocket for relieving the stress I got from working so hard covering the Olympics for Phantis!]. I could do the London Olympiad too! I wouldn't mind. But, next time, book me a hotel that has a spa! OK?

Thanks. :D

PS>Oh, and next time I want Euros, not dollars. I failed to ask for such this time.. :angry:

I thought it was a lovely ceremony. They did what they do best, get together a massive amount of people and make them move in sync to put on a show. It was very impressive but reminded me a little too much of North Korea's military marches at times. In other words, although the show was impressive it was a little emotionless in my opinion. So I agree with Genome that the Athens one was better, although that might just be a personal bias.

@ Crazy:  I have to say, I was disappointed with the British media and public figures who were saying things like "Ours will be better!", and "London can top Beijing!"... why can't they just respect the current show, why do they have to undermine it?  <_<

Can I also ask, is there anyone here who believes that the games shouldn't have gone to China or that the major countries should boycotted the event? What are your views guys?

I agree.

Saying "we can top it" is not the point. Its not pole vault consisntly trying to higher, its a ceremony, a showing of national art pride humanity peace etc.....

Personal bias - the Athens one was the best, because it was simple and beautiful images of life, greece etc not overcomplex animations etc. It could be personal bias, I mean I dont think one can be better or worse. If you felt it reflected the spirit of the games and was beautiful that should be enough right......

But NOTHING will top the olympic rings being lit like that in 2004 with the drums beating- no bias there, thats one of the best spectacles - EVER.

And London is a terrible place for the Olympic Games...Theres no space, the city is too congested for that many people esp on the Tube which is tiny, and the security threat there with terrorism is very real. I am with Genome, theres no way I want to be in London for the olympics. Safety, congesiton, London

Also, the logo for the London Olympic Games is absolutley hideous. If those are the same people who approve the logo, approve the ceremony, London will be the worst Olympic ceremeony to date!

Guest TheLegend

I think our opening ceremony was lightyears ahead of this shitty one yesterday. The glowsticks in the crowd and tetia skate. The Greek one was beautiful and everyone says it but of course the americans on NBC cant disagree with China

I told you guys, Genome would not want to go! :huh:

But, I think we should look for someone else to send from Phantis to the London Olympics (all expenses paid).

I'm enjoying the Beijing Olympics [thanks Phantis! btw do "incidentals" cover massages? I don't want to pay out of my own pocket for relieving the stress I got from working so hard covering the Olympics for Phantis!]. I could do the London Olympiad too! I wouldn't mind. But, next time, book me a hotel that has a spa! OK?

Thanks. :D

PS>Oh, and next time I want Euros, not dollars. I failed to ask for such this time.. :angry:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:tup:

@ Crazy:

True. On the other hand, one should not go out and search it either. For example, I'm not going on a holiday to Iraq right now. And to me Olympic Games in London is too much a risk. I think a city/country with such a big muslim populace and no organization whatsoever concerning immigration is bound to have some terrorist "sleeper cells" waiting for something like this. Plus, England (or the UK) and the US are the traditional enemies of extremist muslim organizations so...

My comments earlier about London having a hard time topping the last 2 countries,Greece and China,is the fact that we had back to back 2 countries with extraordinary long history and civilizations that go way back and have contributed a lot to our global society,taking the ceremonies and really showcasing their lifes/styles through time and i believe that London does not have the same history or have contributed as much so what exactly are we going to see,the backinham guards,tea,fish and chips and the Queen???? :LOL: :LOL:

The Olympic venues will be in East London where an underground system is VERY limited, so they are renovating it all. So I doubt congestion will be a problem London is a huge city re. As for terrorism, you can't live your life afraid of going places guys. You have to be careful, but if you miss out on things you could remember forever because of a minute chance of a being hurt in a terrorist attack then you let them win.

yes but London is the biggest and most vulnerable target city in the world. London has homegrown Al Qaeda -thats riduclous. Bombs in the metro, clubs, public cries for beheadings of Europeans and jihad - yeah,

America might be "mean and tyranical" but if you ever so much as call our blood in our homeland, your going to be eating cockmeat sandwhiches in Guantanamo Bay for 5 years, because those threats are taken with deadly seriousness. And it does seem to be working. Only way I consider going to London is if it was practically a police state with troops everywhere. Theres nothing wrong with security for an event, you cant have too much! Otherwise, I do not feel safe, being a target at a main event in the most vulnerable AlQaeda target so far.

I realize not to be afraid, Id still go to London ---- but just not during the Olympics when morons take lives to get on world headlines. London needs a major new metro, new security measures...

And besides, sort of revenge, I am boycotting it but if your really going to call ATHENS a terrorist threat and try to stop ours from being succeful :blink: you better sure as hell I am going to say London is, afterall it is COMPLETE TRUTH which is the worst part.

Athens IS the best Olympic City.

Greece (home)

Summer (in Greece is practically the best- option to escape the city for the islands at any time - definitley!!! )

Tram accesibility

Metro

Olympic Buses

Not too crowded, spread out

atmosphere in general was festive, fun for hosts and everybody! Everybody i saw was having so much fun! The hungarians, Americans, Canadians, Swedes, the asusies, iranians etc etc was enjoying themselves so much! Even Turkey got a huge applause from the Greeks in a great message - olympic spirit was ever present!

Facilities in place

Not a terror target

Sea (great for sailing/windsurfing)

events in Olympia and Marathon (i mean really quite magnificent isnt it)

No rain/humidity in august (barely)

Cant get better!

Will cost less the second time around

Only complaint:

Weighlifting was in Nikea! :tdown:

ah...i miss 2004 EVERYTHING these days :tup: :gr:

Good points about athens.

I realize not to be afraid, Id still go to London ---- but just not during the Olympics when morons take lives to get on world headlines. London needs a major new metro, new security measures...

I actally think London has an amazing metro that is over cameraed. Correct me if im wrong but doesn't london ahve the biggest metro in the world? Or is it New York?

And here's more food for thought...

From the BBC:

China Olympic ceremony star mimed

A pretty girl who won national fame after singing at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was only miming.

Wearing a red dress and pigtails, Lin Miaoke charmed a worldwide audience with a rendition of “Ode to the Motherland”.

But the singer was Yang Peiyi, who was not allowed to appear because she is not as "flawless" as nine-year-old Lin.

--Read more--

I don't remember much from the Athens opening ceremony any more. I watched it on TV at a Nea Ionia balcony with the real olympic stadium and fireworks in the background. A few nice images linger:

the flaming olympic symbol, eros flying around, the kouroi, and the watermelon truck (I think this was in the closing ceremony). Everything else is a blur. I guess I have to watch it again. Suffice to say that I attended several events with my family and we thought it was a great experience.

The lighting of the torch in China was as good as it can get. Spectacular! I thought the Athens '04 torch lighting was not particularly creative. Alexis Kostalas is trying desperately to embed in everyone that Athens ceremony was about "Technology bowing to human" as if this is the best concept since sliced bread. But I find the concept inaccurate (the Athens ceremony glorified technology just as much) and kind of silly. In creative circles "technology vs. humanity" is soooo seventies.

I loved the Chinese dancers painting with their hands, and I loved the torch lighting in China. Great show by a great country with amazing history and culture.

London will not play the "history" angle. It's all going to be about showbiz artifice and spectacle. I think it can be just as fun as any previous one. British history and culture is not as innocuous as many want to believe. Their colonial adventures have shaped the world just as much as anything else, and the industrial revolution is undeniably one of the pinnacles of humanity. In terms of history and culture, they can showcase Shakespeare, Darwin, Newton, Thomas Cook, clocks, football, Pink Floyd :tup: , and even the Elgin marbles :P

Good points about athens.

I actally think London has an amazing metro that is over cameraed. Correct me if im wrong but doesn't london ahve the biggest metro in the world? Or is it New York?

yes its big extensive network but very small trains.

Having been crammed into metro's and trams in athens, when i saw the london metro and the congestion london has + the olympics...theres no way thats going to be at all pleasurable and not jam packed...

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, these opening and closing ceremonies have become very formulaic. Drums, fire, water, flying around, projections, human formations, folklore costumes and dances (probably the most interesting part). I find them kind of boring until the commentators come up with some incredibly weird thing to say.

During the closing ceremonies in Beijing the double decker red bus pulls in. Then it begins transforing to a stage where Jimmy Page begins to play. Alexis Kostalas says "

Archived