Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

he hasnt been himself after his injury. he came on as a sub in the 1st leg against liverpool and played decent , last week he played the whole match against schalke where he conceded a penalty and didnt played good in the second half. and the 2nd leg yesterday against liverpool he lifted the offside trap many times and i didnt thought he played a good game overall. but yesterday that counted for all the dortmund defenders.

^looked like that but bender stepped up and took over the cb spot from sokratis and yesterday he showed why. bender played good so that will probably stay for a while. before his injury sokratis was in good form but afterwards he is still searching.

• 4 weeks later...

espn have the tendency to overdo their rartings but this one was close to a 10. all the german ratings i saw were also high. tuchal afterwards said that he regretted that he let bender and sokratis take a penalty. i dont understand that either why you let 2 cb's take a penalty. i expected mhkitaryan taking one but who knows why he didnt took one. bender was pk was very bad and sokratis hitted the outside of the post. didnt looked like they practised at all. apart from all that he was indeed a beast. best man on the pitch that day.

Yeah, Pana is right about that. Now doubt they're in the top 20 of football clubs worldwide.

However, world class is something only Real, Barca and Bayern can be called at the moment. That's why the best players from Dortmund are all going to Bayern but not vice versa.

Edited by Klaous

It's tough one for him. Both Clubs are at a similar level prestige wise. No doubt over the last few years Athletico have been more successful, 2 UCL finals in 3 years, a league title, they went close again this year. 
With Hummels moving on, it may be a chance for him to assert himself and become not only a leader at the back for BVB but also a leader of the club. He can really establish himself as a true Dortmund man and if he does stay my bet is he leaves a legacy at Dortmund where he is regarded as a legend. Depends which of those 2 appeal to him more as a footballer

Nah... Marketing is also a matter that they have to take into account. Hummels will sell , Sokratis wont. And thats because we re talking about Germany.

I said about his career in Germany and with the current economic situation between the 2 countries. You mentioning Man Utd and Liverpool is totally off point.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

The nationality issue is not completely nonsense. It`s true that a consistently great player will always end up at a great club, but more often than not, a player coming from a traditionally strong football nation will have greater opportunity, at least early on in their career.

• Like it 1

Yeah, I think if you're from Latin/Hispanic origin you have much higher chances to become a great footballer.

Btw, I don't think Dortmund will sell him to Atl?tico. However, I'd like to see Sokratis playing for the best defensive playing club in Europe.

Edited by Klaous

• 2 months later...

out of him and Manolas I always thought Barca would have come knocking for Sokratis

Sokratis was considered a backup of BVB and ended up playing instead of the Serbian tall guy.

Was used so much as a RB when their original back was missing and he wasn't 100% good there, kinda wasted but good defensively.

Sokratis , everyone knew him in Greece as a talent since his AEK years but to be fair, he hit it big worldwide like what, 3 years ago?Manolas was lucky he was playing at Olympiakos good year progressing at the R16 Champions League and playing Manchester United efficiently. Showing what you are made of at top level is probably what attracts big teams interest. Not to mention the fact that he has been Roma's best player in the CL both years hes been there.

• 2 weeks later...

Dortmund currently 1-0 up vs Mainz 75' in. Sokratis started with the Spaniard Bartra (ex Barca i think).

As for the Sokratis vs Manolas debate. I'd say Sokratis is more reliable, we saw Manolas have a few off games for the NT, but when he's on it he's as good as Sokratis defensively. However Sokratis is far better on the ball for me, which is massive if a cb wants to make it at a big club today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic