Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

I'd rather he stayed in Italy, France or went to England. The Germans have stopped developing top level defenders. They completely focus on expansive football and all their games are high scoring now. So I'd want our attacking players like Ninis to move to Germany, but the defensive ones to play in a league where defenders are taught how to defend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Goal.com have compiled a list of the top 10 worst transfers in Serie A this year and Sokratis was in at number 3. I know many of you disagree with goal.com's player ratings but alot of the time i think they are fairly accurate and every Italian mate of mine i've spoken to says he has flopped. He's play 5 games they say. In 1 he was absolutely terrible. In another he was below average. In another he was good and the other 2 he was average. That's not good if you want to make it at a club like Milan.

goal.com's comment was: The young Greek international was purchased for a reported fee of between €5-7 million, but has offered no return on that value for Milan thus far.

Making just five appearances in all competitions, the former AEK Athens star has been only used in the most dire of circumstances for the current league-leaders, when their backline is decimated by injuries and suspension. Youth is on his side, but Milan may decide he isn't worth having around any longer after his failure to impress

Personally I think Milan are idiots though. He's being linked with a transfer away from the San Siro but he hasn't been given time to settle. They haven't given him a chance at right back either and they've ignored long term planning with Nesta and Yepes aging

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zo...worst-transfers

Edited by Euro2004

he played a full 90 today vs palermo and was poor. he is rusty and it shows. he simply needs more games to gain some form but will not get it...in honesty, the "press" is being rather harsh..he has not really been given a steady chance to perform. but at the same time has not managed to grab his few chances by the throat.

Sad to see that about Sokratis.

He is top level Greek talent, but the problem is with most Greek talent they don't have the mentality to succeed.

On another note, funny to see Adrianno as the worse. Olympikaos is probably happy they never got him.

he played a full 90 today vs palermo and was poor. he is rusty and it shows. he simply needs more games to gain some form but will not get it...in honesty, the "press" is being rather harsh..he has not really been given a steady chance to perform. but at the same time has not managed to grab his few chances by the throat.

Unfortunately i don't think he can complain. When you're a young player at a big club your chances will be limited. You can't afford poor performances. Look at Chris Smalling at Man Utd. Whenever he's been called upon he's been solid. He's not a first team player but has a future now.

Papastathopoulos has played 6 games now, in 3 he was poor, 2 mediocre and has had just one good game. That's not a good enough output.

• 5 weeks later...

apparently milan are trying to work an exchange deal to secure hamsik from napoli and sokrati is said to be weight in this deal...this would be a good move for him in my opinion...napoli are among the better serie a clubs and he would definitly see good time there in addition to CL play next season..

a day after these reports milan have all but confirmed his return back to genoa in a deal which also includes Boateng, Paloschi, Amelia, Oduamadi and Zigoni coming to milan on a full ownership, Berretta to genoa on a 50/50 ownership and sokratis on a full ownership to genoa...

dont you just love these italian deals... ;)

a good move for him as he will most likely return to the regular 11...

Well i dont think that leaving Milan to go to Genoa can ever be considered a good move to be honest. But it is what it s and he needs to make the best of it. I really rate him but his pace has dropped away a little so i'd think he needs to work a bit harder of aerobic, explosive workouts to become faster again. He also need to work on defending when square on because he gives away too many fouls. Overall Milan are dumb for letting him go, but hopefully he uses this as an opportunity to improve and move to a bigger club soon.

Ideally he would get lots of playing time at Milan. That doesn't happen and apparently won't happen so between being able to say that he's part of Milan or being able to play every week, I will also go for the latter as the most important.

Nevertheless I wish he got more chances at Milan.

yeah, its a good move because he needs playing time week in week out...you just like to disagree dont you.. :nono:

No I don't but some of the comments you make just baffle me. He left Genoa, a Europa league team, to go to a world class club. After just one season he has returned to Genoa who are now a mid-table club. How can anyone possibly describe that as a "good move". The mind boggles, seriously!

PAO are being linked with Douglao, if he comes to us but sits on the bench and then is sold back to Kavala, is that a "good move" for him? :blink: It would be 2 steps forward in his career followed by 2 steps back!

The other teams Sokratis was linked with though, Napoli for instance, could have been described as a good move because at least he'd be getting first team football at a CL club. So that would have been the equivalent of 2 steps forward from Genoa to Milan, followed by one step back to Napoli. Over the 2 years he'd have progressed. As things are he hasn't really progressed (career wise) over the last 2 years. It's disappointing, particularly because in my opinion he's good enough to have had a future at Milan

you see...you focus on little parts of my response without understanding the full meaning...why i say it is a good move is because he is going to be in the starting 11 and get playing time, not bc he is downgrading clubs...

leaving a big club is never a good move, but leaving to regain form and play in the starting 11 again is...you are very quick to jump and be argumentative when in reality, we are saying the same thing....

you see...you focus on little parts of my response without understanding the full meaning...why i say it is a good move is because he is going to be in the starting 11 and get playing time, not bc he is downgrading clubs...

leaving a big club is never a good move, but leaving to regain form and play in the starting 11 again is...you are very quick to jump and be argumentative when in reality, we are saying the same thing....

no its just that what you're saying doesn't make sense. Leaving a club to get into a starting 11 is not always a good move. If he'd left to go to Ionikos he'd get in the starting line up but that wouldn't be a good move would it? If you have to leave a big club then it's only a good move if you go to another big club or at least to a club that accurately reflects your ability as a player. Sokratis is better than Genoa, that is to say he's better than a mid-table Italian team, hence it's not a great move. So no we are not saying the same thing. Had he moved to Napoli, Roma, Juventus, Leverkusen, etc, then it would have been a good move.

well in that case we just dont agree...italy is funny, a team can be great one year and bad the next..once the big teams swoop for napoli's stars, their play will drop as will their place. whether they can ride it out for another year is yet to be seen. he will have a good year at genoa, regain his reputation and probably get picked up by a better club and play as opposed to going to juventus/roma now and playing half their matches...

it is a good move..you will see.

either way, the deal apparently is not finalised as he has not agreed to the move...the top clubs like to try to shift players around like this..

Genome apparently Olympiakos are really keen on signing Papastathopoulos (and Tzavellas too). Although I don't think Genoa would be an ideal move for Sokrati, Olympiakos would be the dumbest move he could make! He needs to stay in one of Europe's big 5 leagues

Edited by Euro2004

Papastathopoulos continues to be linked with Werder Bremen and they are rumoured to have asked for Otto Rehhagel's opinion and he gave them the go-ahead. Lazio's director of football has also admitted Lazio's interest saying

"Lazio want Papastathopoulos. Now we want to have discussions with the player, who feels shocked at what has transpired at Milan and he needs time."

http://www.sportdog.gr/article/34246/padou...parhei-enas-oto

http://www.sportdog.gr/article/34384/thelo...papastathopoulo

I hope he goes to Lazio.

Genome apparently Olympiakos are really keen on signing Papastathopoulos (and Tzavellas too). Although I don't think Genoa would be an ideal move for Sokrati, Olympiakos would be the dumbest move he could make! He needs to stay in one of Europe's big 5 leagues

I doubt he would even consider it tbh ...

Werder and Lazio both sound good...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic