Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

12 hours ago, georgelaz said:

there was a german guy at my gym rocking a sokratis dortmund jersey. he's winning fans everywhere.

Nice. I got mine signed by him when he came to New York before WC14.

• Like it 1

I watched this match, it was good fun. He was very good. Leipzig looked unusually weak in attack, which I guess you could argue was due to Sokratis + friends. Big result for Dortmund as well, as I believe this brings them back into third place.

dortmund won against hertha in the DFB Pokal after penalties with 3-2. the match ended in 1-1. sokratis played ok but recieved 2 dumb yellow cards in 20 seconds. didnt expected something this dumb of him at this age. you could also say it was because he didnt wanted to take a penalty since it was in the 119th minute. the ref was a german turk , maybe becuase of that or he was just irritated. anyway tuchel was not happy with it. dortmund face sportfreunde lotte away with only 8 teams left in the cup.

http://www.supersport.com/football/germany/news/170209/Tuchel_slams_Sokratis_for_red_card

and again a very poor display from dortmund. they lost 2-1 against darmstad who are at the bottom of the league. dortmund missed the fullbacks and play with 3 cb's and that didnt worked out very well. and that was not the first time when they played away. the whole of dortmund got bad ratings. tuchel still has alot of work to do.

On 15/02/2017 at 11:17 PM, val said:

Watching hummels and sokratis play over the last two days, it's laughable that sokratis is even in the conversation for best defender in germany.

You think it's an accident that he is considered best by some and top 3 by most? Maybe your sample size should be greater than one game. 

Edited by Argy

^Try to understand that those currently earning a living talking and writing about football are clueless simply because those that hire them are clueless themselves. It's rare to find someone in the media that has sound knowledge of the game. In greece for instance, there are only two i can think of that deserve the money they earn. One works radio and the other writes for contra.gr

If you go back to the previous pages, i have voiced a similar opinion after observing him over the years. I think we can agree that bayern have first presence in Germany with respect to player recruitment. If sokratis was better, he would be at bayern and not hummels.

Val, you can certainly raise valid arguments to back your point, but I am not basing this solely on what other people write, his statistics are strong and I have seen him play countless times for club and country. He is on his game more often than not, and he stands out for the pack with dominant presence in the back. I won't go as far as saying that Sokratis is better than Hummels, but they are on the same level. They're strengths are different so it is hard to compare like for like. All I will say is that between the two, if they are even pound for pound, Hummels was the sexier, more prestigious signing for Bayern. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 2

a team's defensive mechanism is a matter of offense.

otamendi, rojo , biglia , garay are nothing close to the level of Sokratis and Manolas

to be fair , i doubt this biglia guy is any better than Samaris or even Tachtsidis, and im not saying this to boost tachtsidis, but trying to point out that the current starter defensive midfielder of Argentina is nothing superior to what our a-b choices are.

yet, despite the fact that we have better indifiduals in defensive positions, i doubt Argentina concedes more than us.
They have a lot more talent in midfield and offence that helps them keep the ball more, sell it in fewer occasion per match and not expect their defence to do all the dirty work, like our defence did vs Bosnia.

You simply can't put statistics on a player based on a whole team's performance.

I ve said this before and here goes again. Sokratis team on the front is a bunch of 19 year olds Pulisic ,Mor , Dembele , Weigl. These guys have no experience and probably don't even think that whenever they try something risky they will probably put their defence at a risk.

*I don't understand why people bash sokratis so much for the Mitroglou goal. The GK could have done a lot better and that was probably what papa had in mind.

Torosidis still has 1-2 years to offer and Mavrias has been playing as a Right Winger Back for some time. Stafylidis is gonna make us forget holebas. We need friendlies on 3-5-2. I know it didnt work with 3 in the back so far, but it's possible that the reason was not having enough offensive potential.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic