Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

he got rave reviews because he's a top player, who wasn't given a chance at milan. i think he was used at right back last week?

I have no idea but he's brilliant in either position. Personally i think he's at his best on the right of a defensive 3 but he's excellent either way

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1718/team-of-t...-schweinsteiger

doesnt mean so much as sometimes goal.com have..strange ratings, but good to see he is recapturing his form..it would be nice to see him get back to his best in germany...werder are tied for first currently with bayern..

Generally i think goal.com's rating are pretty accurate. Ok I've seen a few clangers on there but generally it's not bad. Either way, "New Bremen signing Sokratis was immense against Hamburg" isn't like saying "he was a little below average" when in reality he was a little above average. Even a casual football fan can recognize when someone is immense so call me biased but I'm taking their word for it! :P :tup:

• 2 months later...

scored his first of the season and the 1st goal in bremen's 4-1 win v wolfsburg..

he has had an impressive season so far with 14 starts in 16 league matches as werder sit 5th in the league, with 2 points seperating them from 2nd and 5 from bayern at the top...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Sokratis should go to the EPL he deserves to play there he suits the league perfectly Would go to either Tottenham, Liverpool or Everton. Teams like Manchersters and chelseas dont need defenders plus Manchester United want to buy Hummels and Liver have stacked up CBs no room for him there he would probably go to Totenham or Arsenal

i saw the match and he wasnt that solid as goal.com mentioned but had a good match overall. the 1-0 for munchen was strange , or sokratis should have stayed on hummels line or hummels should not have lifted the offside trap. when the pass came sokratis thought lewandowski was offside and held back half a second but then saw that hummels was still there and rushed back. lewandowski hit the post and after sokratis and langerak were back he scored in the in the short corner wich i thought langerak should have covered but was to late. yeah sokratis did had a couple of good interceptions and tackles but he had better matches. grabbed a yellow in extra time and had a header also in extra time out of a set piece. in the last 5 minutes of extra time he lost schweinsteiger and was lucky he didnt score and langerak saved the close range header. maybe im a bit to harsh since it was bayern that they played and they won the game and also ended with 10 men. langerak was man of the match for me. bayern should have won the match and also were denied at least 1 penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnwegmat2u8

would love to see him win the pokal and move to the epl (since that's the easiest/most accessible league for me to watch) but if he goes to tottenham, idk. their defense has been atrocious this year, despite that they have one of the better goalies in the world. i don't think a mere mortal could shore things up back there. but at least they are usually in the running for a top 6 finish and he'd get his foot in the door (of the league). someone else would see his talent and get interested.

Edited by gdkmangosalsa

At least part of the question is, how big of an influence does the competition he'll be playing in have on his choice? If BVB win the cup, then they'll be guaranteed entry to the Europa League's group stage. If that's enough for him, and he is happy at the time, I don't necessarily see him moving for an EPL team that either will be in the same competition, or won't be playing in Europe the next year.

• Like it 1

• Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic