Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

i think he was drppoed following his poor performance against Cesena

i remember his debut for genoa, he had a shocker. yet 2 years later AC milan decided to part with millions of euro's for him. remember form is temporary class is permanent, so i wouldn't write him off just yet

Yeah but how highly you rate someone can change very quickly. Signing for Milan isn't an achievement, becoming a success there is. No doubt he has the ability, but he needs to be consistent.

He's been dropped for tonight's game against Catania. Nesta and Thiago Silva are the centre-back partnership with Bonera at right back. Hopefully he features at some stage

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Genome, how you doing buddy? How are things?

Haven't seen him play for Milan and I don't think he's featured. Nesta and Silva are clearly their first team partnership (even though Nesta is finished and Silva is overrated in my opinion). As i'm sure you know he played tonight for Greece against Latvia but was a passenger for much of the game.

Like I said in an earlier post though, big clubs do not have patience. He does not have the luxury of putting in bad perfomances. For instance, Mellberg was very good in the CL for Juve, which were the big games, but poor in the league and he only lasted one season. He then came to Greece and we also saw both in the league and in Europe that he is still a brilliant defender. So all it takes is 2 or 3 bad performances and Sokratis will be finished at Milan. If anyone thinks I might be exaggerating, check out this scathing article on the fans' website MilanNewsIt after the Cesena game.

(by the way, i used google translate and have added in brackets words to make it more fluent)

"It seemed to be a purchase of the most promising campaign summer transfer market, but at least for now, it was a fluke. Let's talk about Sokratis Papastathopoulos. The former Genoa player has been called into question (after) the second day of the season (when he came in) to replace Alessandro Nesta, not (just) any one. The result is plain for all (to see), beyond the individual errors, the match against Cesena was more or less a disaster for the entire band Rossoneri. Since that day, the greek seems fallen into oblivion, closed (out behind) two superstars like Nesta and Thiago Silva. (There is) No space for him even as right-back, since (he is) only considered (by) Allegri (to be) a central defender. The young (player), born in '88 is still (considered) a valuable resource in the future. (And) The break to play with his national (team), might give him greater confidence and enthusiasm in their own ways of permanently re-launch in red and black hierarchies."

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl...:w%26prmd%3Divn

Thanks Euro!

I've been fine, how are you? Noticed you haven't been on in a while ... hope everything's fine :tup: !

I see what you mean and thanks for the translation. I hope he can feature again for Milan... he is a great player.

• 3 weeks later...

i watched the full match and he wasnt THAT bad...

the team as a defensive unit was not great...individually he did alright, slightly above a 5, but did not look like the player that he does on the NT...

its evident that he is a bit nevous and needs more game time to feel comfortable...

i dont take the goal.com ratings all too seriously...sometimes they are on point but sometimes it appears that they didnt even watch the match....most "analysts" have never played football beyond a very amateur level if that...

I saw the last 25 minutes of the match and from what I saw of Sokratis' performance, he wasn't great.

He needs more playing time and it would be unfair to dismiss him after the 2 or so matches he has played this season.

Napoli's Lavezzi made him look like a right fool at one point with a cheeky back heal near the touch line which went through Sok's legs, but in all fairness the backline of AC is ordinary.

Nesta though not as bad as Fabio Cannavaro, is seriously overrated as a defender. His best days are behind him whereas Sok's is defintely in the future. Nesta was the main culprit for the Napoli goal. Sok got to the ball, but Nesta was the one who failed to clear it and allowed Lavezzi to chip the ball into the net.

That being said he needs to gain some composure and ensure that whenever he is given his next chance he steps up as we all know he is so much better than his last match.

most "analysts" have never played football beyond a very amateur level if that...

Neither has Jose Mourinho though. Don't get me wrong, i'm not arguing with you because I didn't see the game but the general consensus does appear to point to the fact that he's been poor since going there. Let's hope it's just a question of him needing time to adapt

being an analyst and being a manager are two very very different jobs...sure its not necessary to play to be involved, but my point was that goal.com ratings should rarely be taken seriously... :D these guys are not even first rate reporters...

plus, jose is definitly a unique one, there have not been that many top level managers who have not played professional football

papa has only played 2 or 3 matches so far for milan...we know he has quality and the right quality to play at the highest of levels...he needs to play regularly and with thiago and nesta in there he will find his chances limited...i hope he starts playing more bc he can excel at milan...i have a feeling he will be a slow replacement for nesta so we wont see too much of him this season...lets hope they help him grow in the right direction...

being an analyst and being a manager are two very very different jobs...sure its not necessary to play to be involved, but my point was that goal.com ratings should rarely be taken seriously... :D these guys are not even first rate reporters...

plus, jose is definitly a unique one, there have not been that many top level managers who have not played professional football

papa has only played 2 or 3 matches so far for milan...we know he has quality and the right quality to play at the highest of levels...he needs to play regularly and with thiago and nesta in there he will find his chances limited...i hope he starts playing more bc he can excel at milan...i have a feeling he will be a slow replacement for nesta so we wont see too much of him this season...lets hope they help him grow in the right direction...

I beg to differ. Most of the top managers played a very low level in professional football (Fergusen, Wenger, Mourinho, Hiddink). While many top players like Gullit, Maradona, Keegan, Souness, have been unsuccessful managers. The ability to understand football does not go hand in hand with playing football at the top level.

Can Papasta make it Milan? Yes. Will he? It's 50-50

ferguson played pro level football for 20 years in scotland with including a 2 year stint at rangers where he scored 20 some odd goals...

hiddink played about 15 years of pro football playing for psv for two years and two spells at de graafschap for 7 years playing around 300 games for the club and scoring about 70 goals...

mourhno barely played and arsene played amateur but became a manager at a young age

my point is that its important for coaches to know the life of a pro footballer to help them manage a club..they dont have to play for the BEST clubs, but its important to know the life and day to day occurances...it simply is very good prepartion..

i agree with you that its not a NECCESITY to play pro to be a coach or analyst, but its easier to anaylse the game if you have the expereince from the playing prospective.

most analysts think they know the game just bc the watch it on tv once...its actually very difficult to give a grea review and analysis of a match by only watching it once...when managers review games, they watch the game and sections of the games numerous times...

Ah ok, i misunderstood you. Sorry. You're talking about "pro level" i'm talking about "top class level". I know they've played pro football, but none have played at the very top level. PSV's glory years started in the mid-to-late 1970s after Hiddink had already left. They weren't a force when he was playing. De Graafschaap are hardly top level.

Fergusen did well at Rangers but by and large it's known that he was a mediocre player. All i'm saying is that these guys, plus Wenger & Mourinho did not play top level football.

On the other hand people like Andy Townsend, Jamie Redknapp, Souness, etc, did play top level football but listening to them talk about tactics is like listening to Nikos Alefantos talk about "etiquette". Goal.com reporters usually seem to have quite a good grasp of football. I'm a regular reader so appreciate the content. Perhaps you're right and they are being too harsh on Sokrati, but the Milan team press seems to be equally critical. Goal.com's criticism of him has continued following Milan's 1-2 home defeat to Juve. He was given a 5.5 and the horrible award of "flop of the match" with the comment

Missed two free headers in either half and showed once again he lacks the big-game acumen to make a difference for Milan.

http://www.goal.com/en/match/48729/milan-v.../player-ratings

Edited by Euro2004

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Papastathopoulos hasn't had a great start to his Milan career and there have already been rumours about him leaving. In a recent interview he said he wants to stay and fight for his place though and won't be leaving in January as a result. Sorry i don't have a link to the interview

• 4 weeks later...

came in early in the match for nesta today vs cesena and did a very good job...particularly one tackle against bogdani that saved the team from a certain goal...

http://www.goal.com/en/match/50516/milan-v.../player-ratings

I didn't see the game, but goal.com are in agreement, saying he had a good game:

Rating 7... replaced Alessandro Nesta in the 23rd minute and did not disappoint tonight. Made a wonderful clearance just ahead of Erjon Bogdani in the 77th minute.

Hopefully he gets a few back to back games now and keeps up the good work. I certainly have faith in him. He could be class, but he needs game time.

• 2 months later...

Papastathopoulos' move to Milan hasn't gone according to plan and it has been widely reported that he'll be leaving in the summer. Zenit wanted him but he's supposedly said he doesn't want to move to Russia. Hamburg who are currently 7th and 2 points off of a Europa League spot are the favourites to sign him.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1956/europe...n-hamburg-radar

• Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic