Phantis Forums

Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla

plato-ny

Guest TheLegend

What happened to all the Premiership teams....is Genoa an up and coming team or will they be at the bottom of the table????... fighting relegation.

Genoa is gona be a struggling team in the bottom half fighting to avoid relegation or just floating above the relegation zone. They are not gona be in the top half next season no shot in my opinion.

There are no EPL teams its made up.

i really wouldnt say no shot at all, thats a bit extreme....afterall they were mid table last year.......they finished 10th out of 20 teams..

Theyve spent some money, got some young players.....theyre no means definitley getting relegated.....Cheivo, Lecce, Cagliari, Catania, Siena, Bologna, Regginaetc are the bigger contenders , and Genoa can definitley win the battle with them to stay on top, if not even finish top half..

i really wouldnt say no shot at all, thats a bit extreme....afterall they were mid table last year.......they finished 10th out of 20 teams..

Theyve spent some money, got some young players.....theyre no means definitley getting relegated.....Cheivo, Lecce, Cagliari, Catania, Siena, Bologna, Regginaetc are the bigger contenders , and Genoa can definitley win the battle with them to stay on top, if not even finish top half..

I agree with Drakos, Genoa will not go down. They are a mid-table team. I think this is a great move for the kid and could lead to a major move in the next couple of years. I just hope he doesn't do the typically Greek thing of resting on his laurels and not developing any further <_<

• 1 month later...
I started watching the game from the 60th min (literally 30 secs before Fiorentina scored). I tried to be a professional scout and instead of watching the game generally I was pretty much focussing on Papasta and to be honest I didn't like what I saw. He didn't make any catastrophic mistakes but the "details" of his game were a bit off. When he tried to press he'd give away a foul (got booked for it too), the movement of the forwards caused him some positional problems, he seemed a bit heavy legged, and he wasn't tight enough to the oppositional player, whether it was Mutu or Pazzini or whoever else (he played on the right of the back 3 and the coach deployed a zonal marking system). He did well when he was doubled up on because he didnt dive in or get burned, but if I had to describe his performance in one word it would be "inexperienced". Edited by DUDE

I saw the match from the 20 min mark, and I too tried to observe as an impartial "scout".

"SOKRATIS" (as his jersey reads) played well, in fact even the FOX commentator seemed to be impressed with the first half. Sokratis was on the right side of a three man defensive line, and was against MUTU until aprox. the 80' when MUTU was substituted. The Fiorentina attack were trying to exploit Sokratis' side, but he kept his ground well, eventhough it was obvious in the 2nd half Fiorentina turned up the heat on Sokratis.

He looked a bit raw, but maybe more a lack of fitness/1st team experience. He closed down space well, never was beaten wide, or when dribbled at. He did seem a bit out of controll in the air, almost rag-doll-like in his arial challenges.

I think overall, he had a good showing, and the fact he made his Serie A debut against a good team like Fiorentina tells me that his manager believes in him as well.

Day of mixed feeling for Papastathopoulos today.

The PROS:

- Genoa beat Napoli 3-2

- Papastathopoulos scored the second goal of the game to equalise, 1-1! :tup:

CONS:

- He was in a defence that conceded 2 goals

- He was sent off in the last minute of the game. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Sokratis played the full match against Inter away. He was solid in a defence which didn't give Inter's big names much room.

I watched the entire match and I was very impressed with his performance.

In the first half he was strong and didn't let anyone get the better of him. He is playing in a right back role.

The kid needs to be permanently in the Ethniki. Only a fool (0tt0? <_< ) would keep him out.

no - akritis_1944 has it right, papastathopoulos played as the right fullback in a 4-3-3. i hope this isn't going to be trend, but genoa pays him and can do as they please with him.

gasperoni went with a 4-3-3 (away from the usual 3-4-3) to counter mourihno's 4-3-3. i haven't watched the match yet, but i saw papastathopoulos got a 5.5 and a 6 in 2 different pagelle. interesting to note that papastathopoulos faced off against quaresma and then the darling of italian football, balotelli.

papastathopoulos stats aren't very impressive - 18 passes completed (83.3%), won only 6 challenges (43% success rate), had 0 successful dribbles, committed 1 foul and suffered 1 foul, though the overall job got done with a clean sheet.

one stat was very interesting - inter had 41% of it's attack come from it's left side - right at papastathopoulos. i don't think that is a coincidence - i think that is what mourihno wanted, to test the young greek defender.

Really interesting stats, thanks for providing the Aek66! They provide some great insight. :tup:

one stat was very interesting - inter had 41% of it's attack come from it's left side - right at papastathopoulos. i don't think that is a coincidence - i think that is what mourihno wanted, to test the young greek defender.

well it didn't work as inter failed to score, job well done as far as i'm concerned. :tup:

also coming up against players of quality will only improve sokratis.

• Argy changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Arsenal F.C.
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sokratis Papastathopoulos ‒ Betis Sevilla
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Argy pinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Dutch Eagle unlocked this topic