Phantis Forums

Greece - Italy

dark_horse

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent news.

I am pretty sure that EPO negotiated this match and did not consult with Otto.

Otto's history was to usually (with some excpetions) play cream-puff matches against the lesser teams

(i.e Lichtenstein, Armenia, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Hungary).

Great to be playing the reigning World Champs.

Guest TheLegend

um... why... are they stupid? first off we will lose because only we are capable of losing to a team who cheats to win...

2nd... why not have friendlies NOW IDIOTS and lets get a new team ready.. popo... running on greek time

Guest TheLegend

If we play italy for no reason all we will do is look like fools. We need preparation friendlies. We are not USA. We dont need to scrimmage every big team in the world for no reason because we dont play barbados to qualify. We actualy play some proven opposition

• 2 months later...

You may want to send the following two links to all your so called italian mates...i am only being sarcastic, i have plenty of italian friends, you see here in australia we are two of the larger ethnic groups and we have a lot of fun putting the boot into each other....as one of mates states "let me guess, italian stallions, did they get that name because they ran so fast from the greeks during world war 2?"

as the turks took constantinople in 1453, the best and brightest greek minds fled to venice and florence leading to the renaissance (re-birth or rediscovery of ancient greek ideals)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Graecia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_sch...the_Renaissance

zhto h ellatha :LOL: :LOL:

Isn't a part of Italy a former part of ancient Greece? Or am I mistaken?

Lots of Italy is... Sicily (where they still speak an Italian version of Greek known as Greco), Napoli (Nea-poli), etc. Greeks and Italians are very similar culturally. Our attitudes, ancient and modern culture, mannerisms, etc.

Well you know Sicilians don't really consider themselves Italian, they consider themselves Sicilian first. And they are indeed descended from the Greeks that were living there in antiquity. So they really aren't Italian and a lot of northern Italians will tell you so. They seem to have this division; its not a unified a country as some people may think!

Well you know Sicilians don't really consider themselves Italian, they consider themselves Sicilian first. And they are indeed descended from the Greeks that were living there in antiquity. So they really aren't Italian and a lot of northern Italians will tell you so. They seem to have this division; its not a unified a country as some people may think!

sicilians are sicilians.....they are not just Greek decendendant.....theres also the romans, normans, and plenty more etc etc that came on to the island they conisder themselves a mixed people today....

But in antiquity they were overun by Greek settlers.

a battle of the classics WORLDS, we all know in history Greece came out on top (has any one heard of a great italian philosopher......I think not)

I really Hope the ETHNIKI puts the Italians in their place.....

ZITO I ELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seneca, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, etc. Basically the Stoic school of philosophy is Roman in origin.

Many places in Italy used to be part of 'Greater Greece', ie. Greek colonies in ancient times, Syracuse where Archimedes lived, among others. More recently, middle ages onward, several areas of what is modern Greece were under Venetian rule, eg. Cephalonia, Chania, and many other places in the Peloponnese that alternated between Ottoman rule and Latin. Lots of Italian influence in some of these places, cuisine, art, culture, architecture.

Greeks and Italians have influenced each other for centuries.

Archived