Phantis Forums

Greece v. Spain @ Euro 2008

athinaios

GREECE v. SPAIN

Wed, June 18, 2:30 pm (US Eastern on ESPN) or 9:30 pm (GR)

Well, Spain is through to the next round, Greece is going home and will have to re-evaluate several conditions in the next few months.

Since neither team needs this game, it may be open to any result, although I can't see Greece creating more chances against a better team.

To me, the result doesn't matter, so I want to see many new faces, those who haven't seen any playing time, taking on Spain. Who knows, we might be surprised.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 11kada

Tzorvas,Vyntra,Dellas,Soto,Spyropoulos,Torosidis,Tziolis,Katsouranis,Samaras,Charisteas,Amanatidis.

I would like to see if Toro can handle the RMid spot because I believe a healthy Giourkas will be needed in Qualifiers ...we can not try to qualify with or U21 team :gr: . Plus I can not watch Basinas anymore.

I will use Charisteas as the middle man because that is all he can do..and like it or not from all the fwds in 2 games it Charisteas who has found or made spots to score. Samaras and Amanatidis will serve well on the wing.

For Qualifiers: The Vets( 04) I keep Soto,Giourkas,Katsouranis,Karagounis, Charisteas (on the bubble)

The 08 squad I keep Samaras, Amanatidis, Spyropoulos, Toro, Tzorvas,Tziolis

That leaves 13 spots for open competition....drakos13 you can fill out the rest of my team :nw: :nw:

I would like to see this lineup (Nikopolidis gets the call in a swan song)

I am hoping to win this game

-----------Nikopolidis--------

Patsa -- Dellas --Kyrgiakos---Spyropoulos

Toro --- Kats- Basinas---Kara

-----charisteas -- Samaras

I liked Patsa's play in the last game

Giorkas is our RB for a few more years so lets put Toro on his natural side and have Spyropoulos play

I would like to see Basinas sit-- for Tsiolis --but in reality he is the only midfielder who feeds the forwards

Up front Charisteas has been our best forward, I leave Gekas out due to injury, Lybe already had his chance vs Russia, I'm not a big Salpigidis fan so this is between Amantidis and Samaras

Samaras is still just a kid and some success in this game would help him down the road so I chose him

I'd like to see Tsiolis come in at half for a mid

and Stelios in a possible farewell appearnace --

and as a 3rd sub, Amantidis for somebody depending on the score/situation

One more thing about Tsorvas -- a loose Spain may be extreemly dangerous and they may come out like gangbusters, if so having Tsorvas let in 2,3,4++++ goals could end his ethniki career before it starts

that's a great catch - i don't know about right midfield...who would play left midfield in your scheme?

i say it's a great thought because maybe torosidis can bring some answers to the greece stationary central midfield. and yes, vyntra can play right fullback if torosidis plays in the mid.

good catch..

For weds. match I'm goin 4-3-3 and let the pieces fall where they may.

For Qualifiers I believe we should go 4-4-2...when I saw that Lagos is only 22,if he has rehabed his injury well then he is a noce option to stast with..if not I defer to my our new GM Drakos...is Dimoutsos an outside mid as well.

Or how bout

Giourkas........Papastathopoulos.........Soto...........Spyropoulos

Ninis........Kats..................(OPEN SPOT)...............Toro (played LB,why not LM)

..........................Samaras.................Amanatidis.......................

Drakos ...Dude make adjustments :gr:

interesting interview with karagounis:

http://www.sport24.gr/html/ent/739/ent.238739.asp

he points out that the tactics employed vs sweden were same as afainst turkey away. who is he trying to fool??

that really is an dumb statement...

that may qualify karagounis to coach the ethniki paidon in 4-5 years.

Apart from that comment ...he spoke like a leader should speak...still cant get why he did not start last game.

Just to clarify. I'd be very happy if we play a great game against the Spaniards and we beat them! :tup: Yet, at the same time, we all know new faces are needed for the national squad, so we've seen what the "regulars" can do. Right?

Now, if you get on the pitch on Wednesday all those who haven't played how worse can it be? I'd say, go for it. Maybe we'll score too! :whistle:

------------------------------------------Nikopolidis-----------------------------------------

Patsa------------------------Antzas---------------------Kyrgiakos-----------Spyropolous

---------------------Torosidis-----------Basinas--------Karagounis------------------------

Salpi-------------------------------------Gekas------------------------------------Samaras

I'd start Nikopolidis and Antzas for sentimental reasons, a way of saying farewell.

I'd play Antzas instead of Dellas or Goumas because he's faster and Villa and Torres rely on pace. At half time I'd bring on Tzorvas to test him... the other 2 subs would be tactical.

prepei na vazoume ena goal toulaxiston, I would start with ALL our strikers in some sort of psychotic 2-2-6 or 0-4-6, whats the point of defending?? the attitude has been negative so why not just completely turn it around to ludacris attacking.

i dont care if we go down 9-1 as long as we score even if its a cheap penalty, thats likely to be the case because the refs have been a farking disgraceful if you as me!!!!!

------------------------------------------Nikopolidis-----------------------------------------

Patsa------------------------Antzas---------------------Kyrgiakos-----------Spyropolous

---------------------Torosidis-----------Basinas--------Karagounis------------------------

Salpi-------------------------------------Gekas------------------------------------Samaras

I'd start Nikopolidis and Antzas for sentimental reasons, a way of saying farewell.

I'd play Antzas instead of Dellas or Goumas because he's faster and Villa and Torres rely on pace. At half time I'd bring on Tzorvas to test him... the other 2 subs would be tactical.

Nice lineup...just swap Tziolis for Basinas, Amanatidis for Gekas...can not see Gekas playing wide left

Dellas should start instead of Antzas for the simple reason: he is better. I would like to see Karagounis in the centre of the midfield, try Basinas or Stelios on the left.

Whoever had Katsouranis in their lineup: you raised my blood pressure 20 points! The man should not be allowed near a blue jersey again!

I wonder about the formation

4-3-3 vs Spain could spell a long night

I know its a no-lose situation but that doesnt mean you play stupidly

5-3-2 should die

4-4-2?

---

Why the hate toward Katsouranis guys? Did he say anything or were you just wondering where the hell he's been over the past week and a half

-----

I heard that karagounis has got the record (tied at 5) for the most yellow cards in european cup tournaments, he should play against spain and aim to be booked so that at least he can say i have the record for most bookings (to go along with his GOLD in 2004 ofcourse!!!)

i dont want to open a new topic for this quesion, but do we have a friendly before our WC qualifyers and if so with who?

I checked all the fixtures from fifa, most of the European teams are already scheduled. Serbia does not have a fixture so therefore, we could see Greece- Serbia. If Greece are to face a non-European side, it may be rumored to be Mexico, United States, etc. I'm not saying it's offical, but hopeful. :tup:

Rumour has it amantidis and Salpigidis up front

-

Nikopolidis (last Hurrah!!)

Vyntra,Dellas,Soto,Spyropoulos

Patsa,Katsouranis,Tziolis

Stelios,Salpi,Amanatidis

Let Nikopolidis( Tzorvas in) play 10-20 minutes let him get his curtain call,same for Dellas (Goumas in),and Stelios (Samaras in) all three were key cogs and deserve the last curtain call :gr: :gr: :gr:

THANK YOU BOYS!!

Well, is this campaign comparable to the 94 debacle if we lose??

Well, is this campaign comparable to the 94 debacle if we lose??

if we dont score a goal, i d say there would be a similar taste. lets not forget our group in the world cup was first class opposition. argentina is always class. bulgaria had its best team ever that year, eliminated holders germany and went to the semis. nigeria had a strong team also. our euro group isnt as strong i d say. then again our wc team was in total disarray while this team may be limited but is still functional.

another thing we shoudlntforget when we compare ethnikis of the past. as holders we had a fairly easy qualification. its a self fulfilling prophecy. you win the thing, get a good draw and advance in rankings because your up against easier opposition than you would be without the euro. i can t blame greece not qualifying for the world cup 02 being grouped with england AND germany. i do blame them for not going in a group with turkey and the ukraine.having said that in the past we had easy draws and did nothing. plus the 94 debacle was made possible in part because yugoslavija wasn t allowed to play in our group. if i remember correctly.

if we dont score a goal, i d say there would be a similar taste. lets not forget our group in the world cup was first class opposition. argentina is always class. bulgaria had its best team ever that year, eliminated holders germany and went to the semis. nigeria had a strong team also. our euro group isnt as strong i d say.

another thing we shoudlntforget when we compare ethnikis of the past. as holders we had a fairly easy qualification. its a self fulfilling prophecy. you win the thing, get a good draw and advance in rankings because your up against easier opposition than you would be without the euro. i can t blame greece not qualifying for the world cup 02 being grouped with england AND germany. i do blame them for not going in a group with turkey and the ukraine.

True about the world class competition but, boys remember how clueless we were in the US - we had no right wearing our boots, let alone the blue and white --- we would need to lose by 5 to even think of comparing this team to the US

0-4 Argentina

0-4 Bulgaria

0-2 Nigeria -- in that game Nigeria was up 0-1 and then when they needed a 2nd goal to move into the next round they scored within minutes- they could have had a few more if they wanted

We had 1 chance in 3 games --Kofidis???? vs Nigeria - maybe somebody remebers better than I

Anyway if we eat 5 we should pull out of WC qualifying

Archived