athinaios

Game result  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Game result

• Greece wins
    • Tie
    • Russia wins

Saturday, June 14th, 2: 30 pm (ESPN 2)

Well, the two losers in the groups are playing each other, knowing that if they going to have ANY chances they must win this one.

Otto seems to have a philosophy that doesn't change, so I expect to see a similar setup. Maybe a couple players will do better, and maybe they won't pass the ball endlessly in the back, but do you think we'll see much better football?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a hugeee game for both teams. Russia are giong to come out hungry after getting thrashed. This is a true test to see what this greek team is really made off. Some players really do want to do good, but we need all of them to play there best games ever if we want to beat this tough russia side. I think our defensive formation will be better agasint russia, a attacking side. but we should respect them too too much like sweeden.

The result is really not important- whats important is to redeem ourselves for that disgrace yesterday. The points are useless, how about regaining pride being the #1 priority.

Waiting till the other team scores to literally finally move the ball up the field is not simply "ugly" or "boring" ---- IT DOESNT WORK.

We DIDNT do that in 04 - we actually tried to make things of our posession and get our leagues

If we play 5 in the back best hope is for a 0-0. This team needs more player up to actually work, we know this weve seen it - but Rehagel has "suprised" everybody with a terible 5-4-1 lineup instead of our 4-3-3 we were practicing with.

The players taled an an awful lot on how theyre focused on their game and not the opponent, and what they have to do.....does this mean Gkekas playing defensive midfield with the rest of the team?

Also its not "what this team is made of"

This team does what Otto wants and trusts him..Thats a great thing for a team to have, but Otto's guidance is long gone from reality. Treating a defensive sweden like 5-4-1 was a puzzle....not changing anything at half except putting our worst forward in Samaras was a puzzle...... Booes, confused commentators, critics.

We need to get the younger players on the team experience here, and get ready for the new generation to move in. This generation is finishedlos - end of story, Dellas, Nikopolidis, Basinas , Giannakopoulos , Goumaes, Xalkias etc need to step aside and let the next generation in! The sooner, the better , and they must not participate in the WC, Otto has to build the new generationi if hes going to stay on.....

I dont think Greece is finished as respectable a football nation to appear in major tournaments even after Rehagel - but our next gen will be so more exciting and Im much more interested in seeing them get experience... So if it means Vyntra, Tziolis, Tzorvas playing - so be it!

Greece will play their same shitty predictable tactic and lose 2-0 to the Russians or they will hold with the Russians for the 0-0, lose to Spain in the next match and finish bottom of the group with 1 point in the end.

I have to agree with you, 0-0 with Russia and a loss to Spain. Russia is still in this competition, and they will be merciless.

I've supported Otto in the past, our version of the 4-3-3 was at least tolerable, but the "5-3-2" played like a 5-4-1 with Charisteas, of all people, on the right flank, and the incessant playing behind the ball, was just cruel to watch. I think the Otto could have at least made another substitution instead of plainly giving up. We had nothing to lose at that point, play like a 4-2-4, even if we end up going down 5-0.

The only way I see us beating Russia and Spain is totally revising our tactical approach (which of course Otto won't do). I think a very conservative and moderately defensive christmas tree 4-3-2-1 would work, or even a 4-4-1-1 like so:

----------------Dellas----Kyrgiakos-----------------

Torosidis--------------------------------Spyropoulos

------------Tziolis----Basinas----Katsouranis-------

--------------Amanatidis------Karagounis-----------

------------------------Gekas-------------------------

Vyntra-------Dellas------Kyrgiakos------Spyropoulos

Torosidis----Basinas-----Katsouranis-----Karagounis

--------------------------Amanatidis--------------------

----------------------------Gekas-----------------------

And if Otto feels uncomfortable, give Vyntra a role strictly as a sweeper, and Torosidis can play the right wing. In the 4-3-2-1, Tziolis could effectively assume that role.

Look for Russia to win 4-0 and make up the 1-4 deficit with Spain ;)

Well, it is a must win game. What happened in the past does not matter any more. We have to win this one and scrap whatever we can from the game against Spain.

Russia are superficial on the back. We definitely need to play with 2 strikers and a heavy middlefield. The Russians will hold the ball a lot and we must strike them with fast attacking solutions, as the Spaniards did. We must be patient but also daring.

As long as mathematically we are still in there is room for hope. But we have to win this one.

Look forward to see what will happen, just curious. Irlandos nightmare scenario is a possibility if we don't play in the right way against Russians.

YOU KNOW WHAT, I THINK (CALL ME CRAZY) THAT OTTO WILL ACTUALLY CHANGE THE FORMATION. I REMEMBER HE DID IT ONCE TO EVERYONE'S SUPRISE AND I HAVE A FEELING THAT HE'LL DO IT AGAIN.

IN THE END IT IS UP TO THE PLAYERS AND HOW MUCH THEY WONT IT.

IM TOO HEARTBROKEN TO PUT A SCORE BUT I THINK GREECE WILL WIN THIS ONE TO RE-EGNITE THE FIRE

YOU KNOW WHAT, I THINK (CALL ME CRAZY) THAT OTTO WILL ACTUALLY CHANGE THE FORMATION. I REMEMBER HE DID IT ONCE TO EVERYONE'S SUPRISE AND I HAVE A FEELING THAT HE'LL DO IT AGAIN.

IN THE END IT IS UP TO THE PLAYERS AND HOW MUCH THEY WONT IT.

IM TOO HEARTBROKEN TO PUT A SCORE BUT I THINK GREECE WILL WIN THIS ONE TO RE-EGNITE THE FIRE

2 things: Otto will change players and formation.

The game will be an over (over 3 goals scored).

and for the rest I must admit that I agree with plato-ny at the moment and I hope I am wrong!!!

The following article, from uefa.com offers some consolation:

History warns against drawing conclusions

by Trevor Haylett from Vienna

Spain and the Netherlands have made the early running in the race to be crowned kings of Europe, with Germany and Portugal not far behind. But a look back to previous tournaments emphasises the danger of making hasty predictions at this early stage of UEFA EURO 2008™.

Portugal revival

Remember four years ago when the host nation lost to Greece in their first fixture but then recovered to find a route that led all the way to the final? In Austria and Switzerland, Portugal could become the first team to book a quarter-final place should they beat the Czech Republic in Geneva tonight and the other Group A tussle in Basel between Turkey and Switzerland ends in anything other than a home win. The qualifying ticket with one group game to go could, alternatively, be in Czech hands should they win and Turkey fail to do likewise.

Improvements needed

The way Luiz Felipe Scoilari's team recovered in 2004 shows that the despair of a first-day defeat can be overcome. Italy and Russia were on the wrong end of three-goal deficits against the Netherlands and Spain respectively, yet need not be too despondent. Improvements can be made – and sooner rather than later. On the other side of the coin, those with three points already to their name – a list that also includes the Czechs, Croatia and Sweden – will be much more satisfied. Perhaps none more so than the Spain. Top of the scoring charts after the first round of games, they have, in David Villa, a player on cloud nine after scoring the first hat-trick in a UEFA European Championship final tournament for eight years. Perhaps Spain have at last assembled a team who can end their long drought for a major trophy. Not since 1964, when they made host status count in this competition, have they truly given their supporters something to shout about.

Serious thinking

The Netherlands have produced the first surprise result of the tournament – burying Italian pride in a three-goal, counterattacking masterclass. Next, against France in Berne, they have to show that was no fluke. For Raymond Domenech's team some serious soul-searching has been undertaken since they launched their campaign with a disappointing 0-0 draw with Romania, the only stalemate in the eight matches that have taken place so far. At the 2006 FIFA World Cup the French also began disappointingly, with two draws. Then they put matters right and travelled all the way to the final, beating Spain in the Round of 16. A Spanish team, no less, that had begun with a 4-0 victory. Tournaments evolve, things can change in an instant. So, like Italy and Russia, the other teams languishing on zero points – co-hosts Austria and Switzerland, Turkey, Poland and defending champions Greeceshould not call time on their challenge just yet.

The result is really not important- whats important is to redeem ourselves for that disgrace yesterday. The points are useless, how about regaining pride being the #1 priority.

Waiting till the other team scores to literally finally move the ball up the field is not simply "ugly" or "boring" ---- IT DOESNT WORK.

We DIDNT do that in 04 - we actually tried to make things of our posession and get our leagues

Exactly!

This was just disgracefull ... we looked like Mexico did a good five years ago, passing the ball at the backline a hundred times before finally getting a long ball forward that wouldn't lead to anything.

Very disappointing!

Otto still believes he had the right strategy. Some players are promising a new face in the game against the Russians. The question is, can Greece show anything different in this tournament. After all, Sweden isn't a powerhouse and GR should have gone for the win. Anyway, I just added a short poll ontop. What do you think the result of this game will be?

Relax, we have Otto's secret weapon: we're going to play keep-away mexri oloi sto gipedo na pane gia nani nani...then charisteas will head one in.

Maybe we can play some karagiozi style soccer again

Posted Image

My prediciton: Greece 0 - 1 Russia

(Charisteas '40 og)

Call me pessimistic, but based on the scenarios, Greece is already out of Euro.

i beleive that.

But heres the thing...if we beat Russia, theres actually a great chance, Russia can beat Sweden, and Arshavin will be back off supsension. IF the team really does change, then were in business. If its the 5-4-1 crap, then forget it.

Why revert back to 5-4-1 ------when our 4-3-3 was working great earlier...I dont get it - all this talk about "playing OUR game, not worrying about the opponents" is actually a total lie - because when your playing 5-4-1 your game plan is actually focused entirely on the opponents, and relying on them to make the right mistakes for you.

BUT

Russia will be present vs Sweden. They dont like going home early - and they showed that in 2004. Theres more in it for these Russian players than you think. That would is also their last chance to shine at the tournament, so many being relatively unknown its an opportunity to get their name out for their own careers too. To think there going go out there and not care is wrong.

If we win, and go to Spain needing a point, Otto's 7-2-1 will actually have a purpose, and could actually work.

Look, we do have a chance to qualify still. It is not over by any means. Spain will NOT lose to Sweden, so the result will be either Spain win or tie game. I'm convinced of this much. In either scenario, we need a win against both Russia and Spain to ensure qualification.

I am convinced Russia will put up a fight against Sweden, but they will fight us more because they are still alive as well and we are their only chance to get back into this game. What do you think Russian fans are saying. Lets beat Greece, and then beat Sweden. That is very doable. We still have to look forward to Spain, and desperately need a victory there. Not an easy task by any measure.

So, my point its this: Russia is going to come at us with everything but the kitchen sink! Do you think Sweden was tough? HA! Wait until Saturday. Now the game with us and the Russians has become thanato sou zwi mou!

On the positive side, this is the same situation that Portugal was in during 04, after we beat them, and they managed to pull through by beating Spain. If Sweden tie with Spain, and we manage to beat Russia and Spain then we will live to fight another day. Unfortunately, I can't fathom how we will play against Russia. It's obvious that they did not prepare any other strategy other than the 5-5-0 we played last night.

Lets assume, however, we do manage to beat Russia; then what?? Back to 5-4-1?? In fact, that is the shitty tactical scheme Otto used during our last friendly; completely silly!! We led 2-0 and they turned the game around without even trying, and on a lousy pitch. I hope for the best scenario more than anyone, but unfortunately it doesn't look likely. Better save the disappointment.

Our players, unfortunately, do not seem up to the task. And the players continued reaffirmation of "...eh..we'll try our best but can't gaurantee anything" really worries me. I hope at least after this pending fiasco they go home quietly and don't make trouble on the plane like the 94 team did when they were trying to smuggle VCRs and Camcorders.

I do believe Greece can beat Russia, they are very beatable and we can simply put ourselves in a good position.

There's no gimme in the Sweden - Spain match, if Sweden either draws or beat Spain, forget it Greece has no chance. Spain will get real serious in the final match with Greece and will probably score 6 past us. :D

Otto's best bet at winning this game is going into the game with 2 plans.

Otto should field a line-up thats versatile - able to switch positions for the other plan.

If for example, the Russians open the gates in the back and try and overload us ---- go for the 5-4-1 , because it will be much more effective.

But if they do Sweden did, we need something else. Period.

------------------------Nikopolidis-------------------------

Seitaridis--------Dellas--------Kyrgiakos-------Torosidis

--------------Patsatzoglou-----------Basinas---------------------

--------------------------Katsouranis---------------------

Charisteas------------------------------------Karagounis

-------------------------Gkekas---------------------

But that can easily switch to upon command, if the game plan is not working or vulnerable......give it a code name, arrange it on a set peice and good to go within a few minutes. Practice both obviously.

----------------------Nikopolidis---------------------------

Seitaridis--------Dellas---Kyrgiakos----Patsatzoglou----Torosidis

------------- ----Basinas ----Katsouranis----------------------------

-Charisteas---------------------------------------Karagkounis

-----------------------Gkekas----------------------------------------

I live in Asutralia and I've decided I'm NOT getting up at 4:30am to watch this team.

Good luck to them as they need it.

Otto you're a mapa!

yes you are...if anything, it'll give you more fodder for your otto rants.

besides, you'll miss patsatzoglou in action.

Lol kala me kseris kalitera ap'ton auton mou!

Yeah I did in fact change my mind and will watch. It will be a Sunday morning here so I can sleep in.

I'm guessing Patsatsoglou and Lympe come in.

I don't care for qualifying for the quarters. I just want to see a team that's played competitively and has some self belief. I was never expecting a run through to final.

Just some heart and a display of pathos. If they can't manage that they should just retire.

Relax, we have Otto's secret weapon: we're going to play keep-away mexri oloi sto gipedo na pane gia nani nani...then charisteas will head one in.

Maybe we can play some karagiozi style soccer again

That's our only hope... :)

Archived