Phantis Forums

Greece vs Armenia

AEK-MTL

Ok so our last friendly is this Sunday. Apparently, Basinas and Nikopolidis might be rested as a precaution (possibly Karagounis too). I'm just hoping that Papastathopoulos doesn't get cut on Wednesday.

-------------------------------------------Chalkias-------------------------------------------

Seitaridis-------------------Kyriakos-----------------Dellas----------------------Torosidis

-------------Giannakopoulos-------------Tziolis----------------Katsouranis---------------

-------------Charisteas-------------------Gekas------------------Amanatidis--------------

SUBS:

Samaras on for Gekas

Salpignidis on for Charisteas

Papastathopoulos (assuming he doesn't get cut) on for Dellas

I'll say Greece wins 1-0 in a tight game with few chances.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest geok

This is not a FIFA-official friendly, thus it does not matter if we win or lose.

Sweden and Russia will be watching so don't expect that Otto will give them any hints. Neither can we obtain any firm conclusions from this game. It will be one of Otto's good tricks to confuse the opponents.

I hope that we give Armenia the ball a lot to test our defense because this is what has to be our foremost priority (in my opinion), to get our defense up to high performance equal or better to that of EURO2004. Then we will have chances. I hope that the coaches agree something before the game because for Greece the most important issue (again in my opinion) is defense-testing. We also need to hold the ball and pass well in this game and even play on the counter attack to get used to the skills that we will need for doing anything decent at EURO2008.

Well, with Papastathopoulos getting cut, I expect Antzas will get some time at CB :tdown: . Assuming Basinas doesn't play, it will be interesting to see what Tziolis can do in his place. Hoping Lybe gets a shot too.

I wouldn't be surprised if we draw or even lose ...

a non-official friendly, that could serve as a game in which we draw or lose by small margin as a way to make our adversaries underestimate us ...

Or we win like we should :) ... that's also possible :D

THIS MAY GO DOWN AS THE STUPIDEST QUESTION IN THE HISTORY OF THIS FORUM.....BUT HERE GOES....

WHAT DO YOU GUYS MEAN WHEN YOU SAY "IN FORM"?

PLAYING WELL? IN SHAPE? PHYSICAL? MENTAL? CONFIDENCE? DID NOT FORGET HOW TO PLAY SOCCER?

I MEAN YOU DONT FORGET HOW TO PLAY SOCCER BECAUSE YOU ARE ON THE BENCH, OR IF YOUR PLAYING TIME IS CURTAILED.....IF THE BALL COMES TO YOU, YOU GONNA KICK IT THE SAME WAY.....YOU DONTLOSE YOUR SKILLS OVERNIGHT.......SO I AM CURIOUS TO LEARN WHAT AN "IN FORM" PLAYER HAS THAT AN "OUT OF FORM" PLAYER DOESN'T.......

ASIDE FROM PHYSICALLY BEING ABLE TO ASSUME DEMANDS OF THE GAME BY NOT BEING TIRED, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT THE DEFINITION OF "IN FORM" IMPLIES?

THIS MAY GO DOWN AS THE STUPIDEST QUESTION IN THE HISTORY OF THIS FORUM.....BUT HERE GOES....

WHAT DO YOU GUYS MEAN WHEN YOU SAY "IN FORM"?

PLAYING WELL? IN SHAPE? PHYSICAL? MENTAL? CONFIDENCE? DID NOT FORGET HOW TO PLAY SOCCER?

I MEAN YOU DONT FORGET HOW TO PLAY SOCCER BECAUSE YOU ARE ON THE BENCH, OR IF YOUR PLAYING TIME IS CURTAILED.....IF THE BALL COMES TO YOU, YOU GONNA KICK IT THE SAME WAY.....YOU DONTLOSE YOUR SKILLS OVERNIGHT.......SO I AM CURIOUS TO LEARN WHAT AN "IN FORM" PLAYER HAS THAT AN "OUT OF FORM" PLAYER DOESN'T.......

ASIDE FROM PHYSICALLY BEING ABLE TO ASSUME DEMANDS OF THE GAME BY NOT BEING TIRED, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT THE DEFINITION OF "IN FORM" IMPLIES?

As Len says, "On form" means to be "on fire". To be playing to a high standard consistently over a period of time... the English do have a saying though: "form is temporary, class is permanent". So, now Gekas is going through a bad patch of form, that saying would suggest for us to stick by him because his class will get him back to scoring goals.

I believe in that saying to an extent, but for me, "form" is an important thing. Salpi high on confidence and scoring goals, will be better than Gekas who has no confidence and isn't scoring, for example.

in form to me means focused , "in the zone"......

You are right, but you cannot deny that players have better days and worse days.... maybe its a bit of a mystery to explain, but form does exist. You dont forget football, but simply because you remember does not mean every aspect of your game is brushed up upon. If you play football regularly, youve definitly had bad "form" and good "form" in periodcially...does not matter who you are, you have had it - even if its Ronaldinho. Teams have form too....When a team tends to be in a stage of finding each other much better, look at PAO plyaoffs and PAO in the last 6 weeks of prota8lhma.....huge difference, short time period - WHY ? guess thats just the mystery, but theres no such thing as just remembering to play football and playing exactly the same every game, there never has been and never will be.

I know for sure when I play I have good form and bad form, and I cant tell you what it means or explain it.......But think about it if you never forget to play - why ever practice anything other than fitness? why footballers still do the basics in training too?

First good chance of the game ... for Armenia.

Good shot by Patzagian, save by Nikopolidis.

Save by Nikopolidis once more in the corner.

Another corner given: taken short, Armenia plays the ball back to their keeper ...

Armenia keeps possession now ...

another shot from the Armenian side, then an offside called.

Free kick for Greece, ball out in the Armenian half.

nothing good so far.

Armenia has the biggest chance, we cant make a simple pass on offense....

I hate to say it, but unless were dramatically different well be eliminated on our second game.

Even our fans are crap today - all Greek flags and hardly any noise all i hear is "HAYASTAN! HAYASTAN!" (armenia, and theyre not even competing in the Euro....

Im ok testing Spiro/Salpi but I want Gkekas and Torosidis to start.....theyre way better.

Salpingidis wins a free kick, out.

Throw-in for Greece, Basinas with a cross, both Charistteas and Salpigidis run towards it but in the end none touch the ball.

The coaches have agreed to make a maximum of 6 substitutions per side.

that must score miss aside, Im not really a fan of Salpiggidis playing for Greece. Gkekas really is our answer there....he has all the good qualities of Salpiggidis plus he finishes better and is the best header on the team, a quality he seems to never be rated for even though with all his clubs hes been a sharpshoter with balls in the air......

Archived