Phantis Forums

Odd man out?

dark_horse

If you had to pick one player who should stay home and watch the EURO, who would it be?

Otto is using 24 players in there friendly with Hungary, and we know that only 23 can make the team.

My choice is Tzilos

No need for 6 strikers. my choice is Salpi or Lybe.

Lybe is to clutch yiasou Salpi

I would drop Papastathopoulos.

I hope we never lineup with three CBs. We don't have the wingers for such formation, we'll get massacred. IMO, the days when three CBs could help hold a favorable score late in the game are long gone.

PS. Who is Tzilos :unsure:

salpi

tziolis

vintra

antzas

take your pick from the above.

i hope its not papastathopoulos that misses out, the boy is class i think he should be in the first 11 alongside kyrgiakos, he's better than goumas and the ageing dellas

salpi

tziolis

vintra

antzas

i hope its not papastathopoulos that misses out, the boy is class i think he should be in the first 11 alongside kyrgiakos, he's better than goumas and the ageing dellas

Agreed!!!

If a CB has to go ............GOUMAS

salpi

tziolis

vintra

antzas

Goumas is terrible! Did you see his lousy marking that cost us the one goal against Portugal last month? I'm never comfortable with Goumas in the lineup. If it has to be one of the 4 you mentioned, I would say Vyntra, only for the simple fact that he was never given a prominent role on the team. I think team cohesion is very important in terms of tactics, so even though players like Salpi are redundant, he does have the experience in the 5-3-2 when paired with Gekas.

Honestly, I would have prefered using Giannakopoulos on the right (like AEK66 has said millions of times) and scrapping Salpi in exchange for an extra attacking mid. like Ninis. Players like Charisteas and Papadopoulos were not much older than Ninis in 2004, and they were given the opportunity to shine on the international stage. I don't see why Ninis, with far more talent and potential, would in anyway be a liability.

Guest geok

I think it is between Goumas and Patsa.

Goumas is the last in the list for a CM sub and he may well be dropped in favour of papastathopoulos. Besides, I don't see Goumas coming in any game but as a sub, to cover an injury.

Patsa just hasn't got it as a footballer. He is a liability. But he has advantage over Goumas in that he can play in 2 positions (badly, but he can at least play).

Really can you imagine in any game either Goumas or Patsa being a starter? I cannot.

I think these two are our 2 weakest players in the NT and most likely to be dropped is Goumas (also because Otto seems to favour Patsa).

Guest geok

Today is odd-man-out day and according to sportfm rumors, the axe will fall on papastathopoulos, but we will know later in the day.

It's official,

The lineup is in and Papastahopoulos is staying in Greece.

http://www.epo.gr/detail.asp?e_article_id=...ticle_cat_id=23

No need to beat a dead horse. The kid is a good player and will be a fixture with the NT (along with Ninis) after this EURO.

I am firmly behind the squad as it is, and although I would have picked a couple of different players, now is time to enjoy our team.

:gr:

:angry: :( :tdown:

its a problem in greek football that we don't give young players enough games, in other national teams its not uncommon to see players in their mid 20s with over 30 appearances for their country, in greece however your lucky to have had 10 caps by the time you reach your mid 20s. papastathopoulos should not have been dropped purely for his age i can't see any other reason for his ommission what other country holds back their up and coming talent like greece. its not as though the squad lacks experience with the likes of nikopolidis basinas giannakopoulos charisteas dellas.

gutted i was really looking forward to watching him, i suppose i'll be watching goumas antzas and dellas instead.

torres and co are gonna have fun when we play spain

seeing papastathopoulos get axed is hard to swallow.

i think with the 04 squad, we are still making triple-crosses that dabizas saw no playing time as he was injured at the start of the tournament. things could have been very different. i put antzas into the same category. for starters, i dont have confidence in "olympiakos defenders" (somewhat of a paradox) and secondly for all the reasons aek66 points out. antzas is a liability in about every second match.

as for vyntra, i believe otto sees vyntra as a versatile passepartout. he can play on the right and on the left. i daresay he is also a better RB than patsa, who i found absolutely horrible at times. different bundesliga clubs are/have been eyeing vyntra, which adds to his status in ottos eyes. in the ethniki he was o.k.

patsa is probably a midfield DM option in ottos eyes. everything else wouldn t make sense given he took vyntra along. if otto deliberately took 5 fullbacks, i would be seriously perplexed.

patsa has his assists and goal during the qualifying campaign going for him.although he was seriously deforme as of late.

greek media always tend to stress what a great defender antzas is and tend to neglect the facts. i am somewhat disappointed otto did too.

Tziolis being left out would have been a huge mistake......guys we dont have very many midfielders, if we have a injury we are in big trouble..

5 midfielders......and 6 forwards.....

We should have kept Papasta8opoulos.....Antzas is very weak, Gkoumas is great but we need some energy and power back there that Papasta8 offered...

There is no sense keeping Patsatzoglou....he is an awful player, sloppy and we alreday have two other RB......

Oh well......this isnt going to be our year guys.......I just hope we defend what we have with honor, though thats going to be tough.

Guest geok

Its going to be tough, everyone knows that. Qualification would be a major success (should be our only goal really). Besides, the second (and subsequent phases) are always easier for the outsiders.

I share your worry about Patsatzoglou, but I am sure he will be serving patsades at the bench so no real worries here :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Goumas is in for the support, he won't get minutes unless there is a necessity.

We have "hidden" middlefielders (Antzas and Patsa can play there) albeit very bad...

Otto will be using around 15 players max as in the past. Remaining players will cover for injuries.

The starting lineup for every game will feature experienced players mostly (Not as we saw against Russia 4 years ago when Otto almost changed the defenders with benchers).

Expect a major surprise in the lineup for the first game against Sweden. In such games where details can decide the outcome, surprizing the opposition can be a key to success. Again there will be a suprize against Russia.

In all honesty I wish every Greek NT player the very best and I hope they can do the impossible on the pitch.

The first game will tell us if we are to expect anything from this EURO. Whoever scores first may take all the points.

13 days to go until our opening game, there is plenty of time for improvements.

re ellines!!!!

never loose the faith!!!

otto obviously has a plan, he knows more about football than I do. I trust his judgement, win or loose we won man, we ###### won the euro in 2004!!!!!!!!!

I think we can make the KO and in those games anything goes!!!!

Tziolis being left out would have been a huge mistake......guys we dont have very many midfielders, if we have a injury we are in big trouble..

5 midfielders......and 6 forwards.....

We should have kept Papasta8opoulos.....Antzas is very weak, Gkoumas is great but we need some energy and power back there that Papasta8 offered...

There is no sense keeping Patsatzoglou....he is an awful player, sloppy and we alreday have two other RB......

Oh well......this isnt going to be our year guys.......I just hope we defend what we have with honor, though thats going to be tough.

Yes this is similar to what I posted in another topic. If someone gets injured in the mid, we are absolutly screwed. But I dont think leaving papasthapoulos was the right descion. I would way rather have papastathopoulos, then patsa and possibly goumas.

i would of omitted vyntra and antzas and had Ninis and papastathopoulos in.

Let me just say one thing.

if the rumours are true, and Manu U and Milan are interested in Ninis, say they had bought him this month, and was now say a full fledged member of Manchester United, i guarantee otto wouldnt give us the `Ninis is for the future`speech.

i would of omitted vyntra and antzas and had Ninis and papastathopoulos in.

Let me just say one thing.

if the rumours are true, and Manu U and Milan are interested in Ninis, say they had bought him this month, and was now say a full fledged member of Manchester United, i guarantee otto wouldnt give us the `Ninis is for the future`speech.

Yes this is true, but one could also argue that the reason Ninis hasn't already made the move and become a full fledged first team play at Man Utd is because he isn't ready yet. They are interested because they believe he could be one for the future, but let's face it, with the amount Utd are willing to spend on players, combined with the fact that Greek teams sell their players for cheap, if they thought he is good enough they would have him already. Bear in mind that Nani was bought for 25.5 million euros, and Anderson for a similar amount, and both were relatively unproven youngsters. Man Utd could have Ninis for a fraction of that and yet they haven't even put in a bid. Why?

I agree with you about Papastathopoulos, but again what have we really seen of him. He was great against Milan a couple of years ago, but that may have just been an inspired performance. The fact is AEK's defence (generally) has been quite bad in the big UEFA Cup games and in the big game against PAO for CL qualification and Papastathopoulo lost Kovacevic for the loss at the Karaiskaki.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. If you go back far enough in these boards you'll find that I've been calling for Papasta to be in the first team since we lost 4-1 to Turkey. But Otto isn't stupid, he wants to be sure before taking a big risk. And Ninis could offer something imo, but we haven't seen enough this season to prove without doubt that he could be a very significant addition. Again I'm just playing devil'd advocate to convey Otto's viewpoint because I would have called Ninis and Papasta.

It should also be noted, that there may also be a long term benefit of not calling them up now. Look at young stars like Choutos, Micolli & Adailtans. They had s%$#!-loads of praise heaped upon them and were given call ups at an early age and none of them reached their maximum potential. May it was because they believed their own hype and rested on their laurels. Whereas with Otto's approach Papasta and Ninis will have to continue to develop to prove themselves.

the point is other countries cap their players at a young age and if they have a bad game they persist with them and its not unusual to see young players with lots of caps. ryan babel for example is 21 and has 25 appearances for holland and i'm sure he's had a few bad games. either we don't produce players or we do produce players and don't give them a chance, to leave papasta out - when the alternatives are the likes of goumas antzas vintra and an aging dellas - is to the detriment of greek football

All good arguments here. I would like to bring another one to the table:

It might not be a bad idea to bring to the big show the same players that pulled the oars during qualification.

I get the feeling we'll see another mini renewal of the NT (with the injection of Ninis and Papastahopoulos at least) once this EURO is over. The next team will fight to qualify, and most likely they will play in the WC once they qualify.

I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that there is a plan along these lines.

All good arguments here. I would like to bring another one to the table:

It might not be a bad idea to bring to the big show the same players that pulled the oars during qualification.

I get the feeling we'll see another mini renewal of the NT (with the injection of Ninis and Papastahopoulos at least) once this EURO is over. The next team will fight to qualify, and most likely they will play in the WC once they qualify.

I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that there is a plan along these lines.

Yes, I think that's definitely true.

For this euro comming up I think we in an awkord position. The generation generation of the 98 u21 runners up is getting too old. And the u19 generation of last year is too young. The u19 generation of ninis, papathaopoulos and mitroglou mixed with players like toro and other players with potential like samaras, can do wonders. Maybe not this comming world cup, but by the euro 2012 they will be a force. Hopefully by 2014 we can win our first world cup by shocking hosts brasil in the finals! :wub:

Archived