Phantis Forums

Greece v. Sweden @ Euro 2008

athinaios

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this will be our easiest game, so its a must win. Its absolutley important.

We just need to close out Ibro -many other players simply arent that good anymore in Sweden...

Spain can be either really good or really mediocre.....Personally there strikers are lethal (Villa, Torres, Guiza) and midfield very tough....People critisize the Spain squad, but Im starting to see Aragones idea of leaving out the old boys..that in the past have never gotten it done for Spain.

Russia will be tough, because Russia we remember from last Euro, and Russia is much better. Russian players are tough, and determined. They might be a suprise team of the tournament, even though its practically assured that Croatia will be the "suprise team" ... Players like Pogrebnyak , Arshavin.....nasty .... good news is Denisov rejected his Russia call up....

If we play in form, we might rout the group.......If we dont, well go home. Thin line I think...

My hopeful prediction if the boys hold it together : Greece 2 Sweden 0

the only thing croatia have going for them in my eyes is their easy group and fairly easy side of the tournament tree which means they could fairly easily float to the semi-finals. especially since eduardo is out, i just dont think croatia is that strong a team.

they should finish second in their group and then play switzerland/czech republic perhaps even turkey. they could go through to the semis without much ado.

the thing about russia that scares me is that we will be the favourites in that game. and in the past we had our problems with that scenario. it could mean we have to make the play and this can work but most of the times it doesnt. they are somewhat dangerous on the countre attack. under normal circumstances though we should be able to get 4-6 pts in the first two games i think. arshavin won t feature for russia against us.

I cant beleive it-- the finals are only weeks away and we are actually discussing matches

Cant' wait to see the boys play in a match that matters

I predict 3 points and a huge first step into the quarters

isn't dark horse from sweden? dark horse, what's going on with p. hansson, a. linderoth and f. ljunberg?

are those 3 fit or is it a swedish national secret?

Yes I am, and I gladly can give you the updates on the Swedish players. First with Ljunberg, he suffered a cracked rib which at first looked to be serious, he is getting better by the week, so I think he'll play. Linderoth is currently rehabbing on his surgically repaired hip, his chances of playing in the EURO is probable. Hansson's injury isn't too serious I think, he should be OK.

All 3 of those players are included in Lagerback's 23-man squad

Sweden squad

Goalkeepers: Andreas Isaksson (Manchester City FC), Rami Shaaban (Hammarby), Johan Wiland (IF Elfsborg).

Defenders: Mikael Dorsin (CFR 1907 Cluj), Petter Hansson (Stade Rennais FC), Daniel Majstorovic (AEK Athens), Olof Mellberg (Aston Villa FC), Mikael Nilsson (Panathinaikos FC), Andreas Granqvist (Wigan Athletic FC), Fredrik Stoor (Rosenborg BK).

Midfielders: Niclas Alexandersson (IFK Goteborg), Daniel Andersson (Malmo FF), Kim Kallstrom (Olympique Lyonnais), Sebastian Larsson (Birmingham City FC), Fredrik Ljungberg (West Ham United FC), Tobias Linderoth (Galatasaray AS), Christian Wilhelmsson (RC Deportivo La Coruna), Anders Svensson (IF Elfsborg).

Forwards: Marcus Allback (FC Kobenhavn), Henrik Larsson (Helsingborgs IF), Johan Elmander (Toulouse FC), Zlatan Ibrahimović (FC Internazionale Milano), Markus Rosenberg (Werder Bremen)

Guest geok

Great to have dark_horse who may be able to provide "insider" information.

I agree with Aek66. Whilst we should avoid loss in every game (means a minimum of 3 points) we need a win to qualify.

We cannot guarantee of getting that win in any game, so we must fight for a win in each game! In no competition at this level you can choose when to win.

I believe that we can win against Sweden. I share a little bit of drakos optimism but I can't see it being so easy.

A good start is imperative for obvious reasons but also for momentum.

Greek sides thrive when things have apparently been put in alignment. Someone mentioned the "God" factor, I think it has more to do with superstition. We seem to be some of the most superstitious people on this earth. :nono: *damn, the match is being played on a Tuesday. Not a good omen* :unsure:

If we get off to a win against Sweden, then the psyche of the squad will be positive for the next match.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (or to give him his Serbo-Croatian name "Zoran Abramovic") is the danger man for the Swedes and the player than can turn the match in an instant for the Scandinavians.

Kallstrom from Lyon has been in good form, so he is also a player than needs to be looked at closely.

I expect us to put up a good showing and am always positive for a win!

:gr:

Latest injury report coming out of Swedish news, Ibrahimovic sat out the finals of the Italian Cup with a knee injury and is not known if he can be healthy just in time for him to play in the EURO vs. Greece.

Found this article about Otto Rehhagel on contra :

Guys - there are no easy games here...

most of the teams are pretty close, and the players are teamates at the same clubs in europe. All we can do is fight hard in all 3 games and hope we take our chances and get through.

Guest geok

It will have to be a EURO2004 tactical game that sees us through this group, with emphasis in defense. Don't concede a goal and with undoubtly more solutions up front you have higher likelihood to score. That's how we are going to cut it.

Need to completely block Sweden out offensively and try to break them by good passing upfront. We all know that they are slow in defense. The same recipe with the Russians who in my opinion are even more dangerous upfront, but they have as their weakest point their defense.

Against Spain we need to pack our centre and by that time, if we need one point, we will get it.

Easiest group is B, toughest group is C and A and D are equally balanced.

Today's friendly in Hungary is an important test that will highlight the strengths and weaknesses of our team. I also expect that we will try to hide something from our opponents, at least we should try to.

I'm watching the Sweden vs Slovenia game. Sweden took the lead, 1-0 on 40mins, now it's half-time. My view of them is pretty much the same as when I saw them play Brazil. They are a tight team and play good possession football. Linderoth scored from a Slovenian mistake, but other than that they've lacked penetration. They basically like to play an early ball from midfield to one of the forwards who will go out wide. So basically, they like this pass alot:

---O----------------------------Striker-----------------------Striker------------------------

------O---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------O-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------O-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------O-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------O-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------O---------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------O-----------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------O-------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------O---------------------------------------------------------

Midfielder-----------------------Midfielder------------------Midfielder-----------Midfielder

This could cause us problems if Toro and Seitaridis are caught out of position, however, if they are not, the Swedes do seem to lack some imagination... although Zlatan is not on the pitch. Their weakness is clearly in central midfield. They have no holding midfielders, when the Slovenians have played short passes in the "hole" the Swedes have no answer. Lybe, Karagounis, Samaras, etc, would have great success there. On the basis of that first half they are nothing to fear, although we must be focussed and passionate in our play.

Henrik Larsson has been introduced for the 2nd half. I'll let you know what happens at full time.

Good news for Greece is that Sweden danger man Zlatan Imbrahimovic sat the game out vs Slovenia this morning with his knee bandaged.

I'm watching the Sweden vs Slovenia game. Sweden took the lead, 1-0 on 40mins, now it's half-time. My view of them is pretty much the same as when I saw them play Brazil. They are a tight team and play good possession football. Linderoth scored from a Slovenian mistake, but other than that they've lacked penetration. They basically like to play an early ball from midfield to one of the forwards who will go out wide. So basically, they like this pass alot:

---O----------------------------Striker-----------------------Striker------------------------

------O---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------O-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------O-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------O-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------O-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------O---------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------O-----------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------O-------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------O---------------------------------------------------------

Midfielder-----------------------Midfielder------------------Midfielder-----------Midfielder

This could cause us problems if Toro and Seitaridis are caught out of position, however, if they are not, the Swedes do seem to lack some imagination... although Zlatan is not on the pitch. Their weakness is clearly in central midfield. They have no holding midfielders, when the Slovenians have played short passes in the "hole" the Swedes have no answer. Lybe, Karagounis, Samaras, etc, would have great success there. On the basis of that first half they are nothing to fear, although we must be focussed and passionate in our play.

Henrik Larsson has been introduced for the 2nd half. I'll let you know what happens at full time.

In the 2nd half we saw a different Sweden. From 46mins to 65mins they were amazing! They played amazing football and Henrik Larsson is still top class. His movement was amazing and he had a header just wide and also hit the post. He's terrific. After 65 mins Slovenia took control but couldn't break Sweden down. To be fair though I think the Swedes took their football off the gas.

Having seen them on a few occassions now I've arrived at the same conclusion each time. They are fantastic on the ball, and always look to penetrate from the wings. Off the ball they can seem fragile, particularly in holding midfield, so Karagounis and esp Lybe should be able to find success there. The key will be to starve them of possession and cut off the supply to their wings, which means Seitaridis and Toro will have to be on top form. If we play a 4-3-3, Haristeas and Amanatidis will also have to be willing to help out.

Guest geok

that is an excellent analysis DUDE, this could not have been put to paper better.

If this means that our middlefield, if play appropriately, will dominate, there is no way we will lose the game.

On the other hand, Giourkas and Toro, I am not sure they are on top form in their defensive game.

How good are Sweden defensively?

Beautiful drawing! :LOL:

I doubt they would play like this with zlaten no? They would play Zlaten as a lone striker and look to get high balls to him or something? But ya, Otto will do his scouting. If sweeden are going to play greece like that, I suggest we come out with the 5-3-2 and to have one man to always follow zlaten.

Guest geok

Sweden gave it all away in their last game against Ukraine.

They are good upfront but vulnerable in the back.

We seem to know them much better than we know the other teams and so we can be hopeful for a good result (win) over them.

Look forward to analyses by those who watched the game Sweden-Ukraine.

Archived