Phantis Forums

What went wrong?

drakos13

PAO FANS:

Just curious as to what people thought the main reasons for this years failure were?

(Please PAO responses only, unless you say something honest and not trolling and taunting which I can only trust DUDE and Crazy not to do)

I think the biggest things were

Very bad squad depth - having a virtually useless bench the last couple games and losing players like Ndoye, Manucho really did make a difference....just a lack of choices and a shrinking midfield..injuries...even early in the season.

No home advantage this year - dead atmosphere alienation of Gate 13 (even back when we were much worse than this wed put away non-derby teams easily in Leoforos)

Poor preseason and signings (timing) - it all starts there - we need good tests, but also we need signings for the most part finalized before training camp starts. Adding them on the final day or even in August when its over means were buying players that have to wait a while to be a part of the team. We need a full and ready roster from MATCHDAY 1.

We also dropped points early in the season, and we did have some injuries too such as Ivanschitz:

Something I hope our idiot, unaware, incompetent people maybe paid attention to is NEVER, EVER PLAY A "FRIENDLY" WITH LAZIO or teams that with Lazios level of respect - stupid stupid, stupid decision by the MORON PAE to play against dirty a**hole fascits like SS Lazio, who are well known to be a filthy and dishonest team from their players to their fans. There are plenty of good teams to play against, that will be respectful opponents. Theres no point losing players in a game that doesnt mean anything. Also in a match that provokes cards like that = STUPID IDEA.

We lost Ivanschitz and Salpiggidis that game for the derby. Ivan's presence was greatly missed in other games where we dropped points as well.

We took Ivanschitz our of rythm, and lost him for 2 months. It happens yes, but you dont put your players against butcher teams when the MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON is your OPENER.

Yes, PAO-OSFP in LEOFOROS was the most important game of the season. A win meant a great start (always positive), a bad start for Gavros (always positive) a great fans morale boost early in the season (again, ALWAYS POSITIVE) and it denies the points to the one who always beats you out in the end. They ALL count. But we played like idiots, we approached the game 100% wrong, and made stupid decisions in preparations, typical.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for me its peseiros fault... everything started after olympiakos game for the cup..

kaki diaxirisi tou ilikou... and we have the best iliko this year...

Definitely Peseiros fault.

He destroyed his best goalie ---> Malarz

He has forgotten Ninis on the bench.

He puts Tziolis in in almost every game.

He always stacks in the system with 2 DM's indepentant of the opponent.

He does terrible mistakes in the changes while the game doesnt go as he wants it to.

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Definitely Peseiros fault.

He destroyed his best goalie ---> Malarz

He has forgotten Ninis on the bench.

He puts Tziolis in in almost every game.

He always stacks in the system with 2 DM's indepentant of the opponent.

He does terrible mistakes in the changes while the game doesnt go as he wants it to.

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

ela xosta tsoglanaki.... tsoglani thee pare tin pae! :tup:

whats the point in all of this; year after year we have to deal with the same crap...

i honestly think its our players... as much as we might think we have an awsome squad; its average at best... we havent got that one guy who can change a game for us with a simple freek kick or a great run...

its come to bite us in the arse once again... we need a AMC and a striker who can finish.... reason why we cannot domninate is because all of our players "finishing" sucks....

if we had those two players i honestly belive we would have won the league by now....

Also if u noticed this year in alot of games we played; in the first half we didnt do s%$#! in terms of playing well, we only seem to break out when we go 1-0 down and then you begin to see our rythem pick up vastly.... However by then its to late?? i dnt understand why they jst dont go all out and get a 2-0 lead then they can begin to F*** around; why r we so backwards!!!

To answer the question; there is alot of factors to why we sucked again:

1) we havent got a star player or two (when im talking about a star i mean rivaldo quality of 3 years ago)

2) players attitude - see above

3) certain tactics pes employed during subs, also not really a fan of 2 DMC

........................................................................................................

However in saying all of that i belive we still should keep pes untill next year, if we get rid of him now this year will be much worse in terms of "what went wrong".. What i mean by that is that every year we sack the coach hence no stability, and we begin again... like they say rome wasnt built in a day and Pao cant become a super power team in a year; you need to give it time and patience... Pes will do better next year with an even better squad; we just got to give him a chance...

striker???? we have manucho... and not our players fault... pios leei stous paixtes na paizoun me sentres gia na vriskoun ton salpi pou einai 1,65???? its peseiros fault...

Guest TheLegend

I dont know what you guys think but Karagounis is a waste on the feild at many times to me... I dont see what he does. He may set up a goal or score a goal occasionaly but to me, the amount of plays he kills with some stupidity on the ball outweighs the good he does.

I dont know what you guys think but Karagounis is a waste on the feild at many times to me... I dont see what he does. He may set up a goal or score a goal occasionaly but to me, the amount of plays he kills with some stupidity on the ball outweighs the good he does.

i dont like karagounis in the most games... thats why im always asking about nini..

I have much to say about the subject, so I'll put it in small doses.

I think it's evident that talent evaluation has been lacking severely in the last ten to fifteen years. While the club has set themselves up to be either a producer or a magnet of good talent, somewhere along their careers with PAO they either shrivle, leave, or are discarded.

Kakia-synithia has it right, and Drakos has it right as well: Great players make a team great, and it takes a competent management to make getting and retaining great players a priority.

Somehow, our management has gone through a long period of believing that everyone is replaceable, and has made sure the players know that. This to me is a horrible way to setup an organization. If you ever worked for a serious organization, you will know that retaining your best personnel is a high priority (we exhausted the culture talk last year, and we'll bring it up later on I am sure).

The simple proverb "you can't make chicken soup with chicken $h1t" comes to mind (even if its bit extreme in the current Panathinaikos case because many of the players are not that bad)

A good example that illustrates this is the current Greek NT squad. Out of curiocity, today I counted 14 players that have passed through the team:

All three goalkeepers: Nikopolidis, Chalkias, Tzorvas

Defenders: Kyriakos, Seitaridis, Vintra, Spiropoulos, Goumas

Midfielders: Basinas, Karagounis, Tziolis

Forwards: Salpigidis, Liberopoulos, Gekas

(Now that I wrote that down, it looks like a nice 4-3-3 team Pao could be fielding every week:

---------------Nikopolids--------------

Seitaridis--Goumas-Kyriakos-Spyropoulos

---------Tziolis--Basinas-Karagounis

-----------------Liberopoulos---------------

-------Salpigidis--Gekas ----------

:LOL: )

Some of our best players left because they were disillusioned with the club and/or got better offers: Nikopolidis, Kyriakos, Basinas.

Some never got a chance to develop: Tzorvas

Some were discarded: Liberopoulos, Gekas.

Some completed their cycle and at a very good football age were burned out: Basinas, Seitaridis

There are other players that don't play for our NT that we lost for no reason, but you get my drift.

Having said all that, I don't think our team is in such a bad shape. Compared to the team from last year when we could barely exchange more than two consecutive passes, we have improved a great deal on the pitch. Also, management seems to have learned from their mistakes and went out of their way to resign Papadopoulos and Goumas, and to bring one of the top talents of Greece (Spyropoulos).

I don't think it's Peseiro's fault entirely, although he has made some mistakes in retrospect. No I don't mean not playing Malatz (I stated from the beginning of the season that he was not the great gk PAO needs), or Ninis (I don't believe Ninis is such a great player yet to warrant a guaranteed starting spot), or for playing with two CMs (I am a fan of the two CM's formation - assuming the AMs do their job too).

I think his error has to do more with the psychology of the team that takes the field kind of flat. This became worst as the season progressed and the enthusiasm and fun of playing football turned into the stress for winning. Today I could not believe that both Spyropoulos or Nilsson would hold back instead of trying to attack the wing when isolated with only one player in front of them. They clearly feared what would happen if they lose the ball. They had their minds set on a "worst case scenario". While some caution is healthy, it's the coache's job to allow his players to find a balance on the pitch. They were loose in the first half of the season, but today the players seem like they are over-thinking their moves.

Transition game has been plaguing PAO for ten years. This year the team finally learned how to quickly transition to defense when we lose the ball (remember how many teams had a party on our defense last year?), but we are too slow to transition on offense. It's a more difficult subject to implement, so I'll credit Peseiro with teaching half of it this year, and I expect to see us unfold on offense much faster next year (faster than the opponent can transition their game).

I don't want this to turn into War and Peace, so I'll make my other thoughts bullet like:

-- Buy the best Greek players and build a team around them. Only the best, not prospects and talents (talents should be second or third choice in each position).

-- Build a dominant spine with great players at: GK, CB, CM, CF.

-- Buy a world class GK and a world class striker.

-- Lose the losers fast. Don't keep them around because their contract expires next year. Cut your losses and win another player.

-- Eliminate the "loaned" players. Buy players who will feel invested in the team (if we can get Riberi on loan I'll change my position on this one)

-- Keep the competition for a starting spot at high level.

-- Keep the continuity. Don't change coaches every year. A title is a three-year project (unless you get lucky in your first one)

-- Internally, find ways to manage success, and recover from failures.

-- Network in the league organizing bodies (EPO, Superleague, Courts, Refs). Playing nice does not work in Greek football.

-- Shield the team and the players from outside influences (opinionated veteran players, FEKs, agents, reporters and the such).

-- Find ways to bring back the fans (not just 13)

-- Prepare with good friendlies in the summer (we usually have the worst possible opponents)

Ante kai tou xronou me ygeia Posted Image

Since the season is not over yet i find this topic a little bit premature but since is here i have only one thing to say about what has,is and always will be wrong with your club.Vardinogiannis family.Coach,players and fan problems have contribute in one way or another but for me your president is the cancer for the club.It does not only harm your team but it has great affect on others and mostly my team.If you guys had for a president someone like Giannakopoulos or equal madness/fanatic fan lover of Pao,you would have a better team,players and results and posible titles and it would force my kopanos team president to compete harder and that way up the level of both teams and of our league.By having Tzigger as your captain,you get as cyberfish said briliantly 13-14 ex players having great carrers somewhere else,making more money and being key factors on our NT squad while players that deserve to get more money and play for your club now,Ivanshich is the name i have in mind,becomes a drama series instead of quick decision.Spyropulos was bought after Pek show its face and Vardinogiannides had to react so they would not lose face.This year champioship was yours 2 weeks ago in a seson that none other major team has performed better or great.On the contrary everyone looks wably and shake.Tzigger should have spend more and pushed more and have only winning this champioship in mind instead of fighting with Pao fans,having an empty stadium and having even other Pao family money makers look at him funny.Even the stadium deal became a mini series.Get rid of the clown and you will see a better future for sure.Your coach is not that bad and you do have some good/great players(Matos,Ivanshich,Salpi,Ninis,Dimoutsos,Spyropoulos,Papadopoulos,Ndoye) as we speak.Get rid of some junke(Vyntras,Morris) and bring some high quality additions and you will be set for better and more satisfying soccer.

That is my humble opinion about your club this year.

Since the season is not over yet i find this topic a little bit premature

yeah technically, but PAO fans know the end of their season when it happens.....at least in the last decade.

We have contradicting points......some people say we have good players but our players suck, our coach suck..........

I think we definitley need to clean up the squad of its crap players and make sure they all leave (been saying this for the last 4 years - this year had the least amount of totally horrible players - no Biscans, no Maric, no Conceicao, Chaino, Zutautas, Epalle, Debbah, Mitu, etc... I guess Pap and Seric were our trash this year. (Pap did ok yesterday, but season overall has completly failed to pass standards)

and Malarz is another Theodoridis - a mediocre player that showed potential once and PAO fans still want to keep him .... Hes really not for PAO, we need way better than that.

But as for Peseiro:

Everybody blames him - but the man did some good other coaches havent been doing with the team - PAO did play some great games, some strong defenisivley, and as a team we came out and played well (even last 2 matches, we did play TOGETHER instead of relying on individual moments which is a very nice turn of events)

But the problem in every game we blew was not getting handled like it used to be....

It was BAD FINISHING...Really bad finishing.

We didnt have the strikers to finish this league off, or the players were too injured.

I mean we did get kind of far to blow it on 2 matches, we had our moments were the team looked good, our defense actually had a strong record. Finishing more of our many chances ( think back to AEK and OSFP, Xanthi away) was pretty important.

However :

His substitutions, lineups were horrible...When Papadopoulos was on a s%$#! streak he played him every game despite total ineffectiveness. Ninis got a handful of chances, and he waited forever to use Manucho when in some games he could have helped.

I think PAO just has huge depth problems......we cant last the season, or these players cant play game in game out so we need a greater number of equally talented players on the bench......If we had a bigger and more talented range of players (with a physical trainer that actually helps prevent injuries) we might be able to last a season...

striker???? we have manucho... and not our players fault... pios leei stous paixtes na paizoun me sentres gia na vriskoun ton salpi pou einai 1,65???? its peseiros fault...

true.....Manucho is injured though. I really think that missing Manucho and Ndoye hurt us pretty bad....I dont know why we decided to play a high match (partic in Xanthi ) with Salpiggidis on every ball....

crazy and athinaios are right guys...the problem with the team starts at the top..ultimately, the president runs the show, the psychology, players and mentality of the team begins with the president....vardino is the cancer of the team and with him as our president, we will NEVER see the pao that we want...with a loser president what does everyone expect? players and coaches over the past years have changed, but one thing has remained the same, and that is tzigger...he has a losing mentality and that has reflected on the team...he simply does not care enough.. whichever coach we have will not make a difference as long as he is our president...

true.....Manucho is injured though. I really think that missing Manucho and Ndoye hurt us pretty bad....I dont know why we decided to play a high match (partic in Xanthi ) with Salpiggidis on every ball....

i dont think manucho is injured.... i dont believe it for some reason...

Enough with the conspiracy theories. Manucho is injured and we are behind oly.

There are 3 factors that have kept us away from first place this season.

And no i wont use refs against oly.

1- our team depth. Yes we have played 23 players this season and most of them are okay but we are lacking 2 or 3 great players. We have 20 or 22 identical players. Hard workers, tough kids but not very good technically. we need 2 or 3 players that can do wonders on the field. its as if all opur players are clones of one another.

2- our fans. we were in first place 2 months ago and we havent sold out one game other than rangers. F ticket club and F vardinogiannis, IF YOU ARE REALLY FANS, SHOW UP. CASE CLOSED. we play at leoforos as if we are playing in levadia. i think there were only 1 or 2 games where atmosphere was electric.

3- Luck. we were lucky for a long ways and not so lucky lately. Football is a game of luck. oly scored in veria on a double bank corner to the right pocket shot by pats and won the game. We allowed 3 goals against xanthi but missed 3 other sitters. Here a player with skill and talent would come in handy.

EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE PLAYED LIKE CRAP LATELY ETC, LET US NOT FORGET THAT ON THE FIELD WE ARE ONLY ONE POINT BEHIND OLY. THEY LOST TO KALAMARIA AND WON 3 POINTS THEY DIDNT DESERVE WE ALL KNO WHOW. EVEN IN COMPLETE TURMOIL AND HOIRRIBLE FORM WE ARE IN, WE WOULD OF BEEN 1 POINT BEHIND OLY GOING INTO NEXT WEEKS GAME AGAINST PANIONIO WHILE THEY PLAY AT AEK. AND ALTHOUGH THIS MAKES LITTLE OR NO POINT RIGHT NOW, I FEEL THAT IF WE HAD A 4 POINT LEAD GOING INTO LAST WEEKS GAME AGAINST XANTHI INSTEAD OF A 2 POINT LEAD, IT WOULD OF MADE THE PLAYERS FEEL MORE RELAXED AND LESS STRESSED. DONT FORGET WQE HAVE THE 2ND YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

P.S im really happy ergotelis is out of relegation and has a chance to stay up. i love that organization. lets hope they keep it up.

1- our team depth. Yes we have played 23 players this season and most of them are okay but we are lacking 2 or 3 great players. We have 20 or 22 identical players. Hard workers, tough kids but not very good technically. we need 2 or 3 players that can do wonders on the field. its as if all opur players are clones of one another.

2- our fans. we were in first place 2 months ago and we havent sold out one game other than rangers. F ticket club and F vardinogiannis, IF YOU ARE REALLY FANS, SHOW UP. CASE CLOSED. we play at leoforos as if we are playing in levadia. i think there were only 1 or 2 games where atmosphere was electric.

3- Luck. we were lucky for a long ways and not so lucky lately. Football is a game of luck. oly scored in veria on a double bank corner to the right pocket shot by pats and won the game. We allowed 3 goals against xanthi but missed 3 other sitters.  Here a player with skill and talent would come in handy.

EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE PLAYED LIKE CRAP LATELY ETC, LET US NOT FORGET THAT ON THE FIELD WE ARE ONLY ONE POINT BEHIND OLY. THEY LOST TO KALAMARIA AND WON 3 POINTS THEY DIDNT DESERVE WE ALL KNO WHOW. EVEN IN COMPLETE TURMOIL AND HOIRRIBLE FORM WE ARE IN, WE WOULD OF BEEN 1 POINT BEHIND OLY GOING INTO NEXT WEEKS GAME AGAINST PANIONIO WHILE THEY PLAY AT AEK. AND ALTHOUGH THIS MAKES LITTLE OR NO POINT RIGHT NOW, I FEEL THAT IF WE HAD A 4 POINT LEAD GOING INTO LAST WEEKS GAME AGAINST XANTHI INSTEAD OF A 2 POINT LEAD, IT WOULD OF MADE THE PLAYERS FEEL MORE RELAXED AND LESS STRESSED. DONT FORGET WQE HAVE THE 2ND YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

P.S im really happy ergotelis is out of relegation and has a chance to stay up. i love that organization. lets hope they keep it up.

im happy with ergoteli too & manchester!! pame oloi old trafford!!!

I tried for most of the season to stay away from making negative comments.

The way our team has been playing is so frustrating that I need to let it out.

I agree that Vardi is useless. He has a loser mentality, makes egotistical decisions, and has created a negative atmosphere in the whole organization.

He has alienated the fans, the players and even the EPAE employees.

For the first time since 2003 he tried to bring better quality players.

He brought back Fyssas, Kara which was a small sign that he regretted destroying the best PAO team in the 21st century.

Mattos, N'doye, have been good additions.

Spyropoulos was needed and we have high hopes for him.

Manucho has not been used... Postiga has been disappointing for his class.

I agree that this is the best roster since 2003, with many decent choices but except from Kara and Mattos, no other player has been able to make the difference.

Peseiro has made many mistakes mostly in substitutions, but also has done well in bringing in players, and ball movement.

What I do not see is how he will solve the goal scoring problem.

Salpigidis is not fed the ball and no one is able to penetrate the defences one on one. We are not going to win just by relying on Mattos power shots and Ivan curve balls. Crossing is ineffective unless we have a master head-ball forward.

I think Peseiro can do much better with who he has.

Munioz and Malesani had worse talent.

I do not care what the refs do or how good or bad gauros or AEK are.

PAO is subpar one more season and if we do not win the league, which is only mathematically possible at this time, it would only be our teams fault and not unfair at all.

PAO played better than AEK and Oly in the last two Derbies and only got 2 points.

We dominate ball possession in most games but cannot score.

1-0 is not doing it.

Our defense is subject to errors and we sit back much too often to keep the 1-0 lead. That cost us dearly in the Rangers game which we once again gave away.

Gauros will win "his" league unless Kalamaria wins their appeal in the international court.

In the playoffs we get to watch a few more games.

Hopefully we will finish second and with some great player additions this summer... :whistle: we could hope to make it into the CL groups and avoid getting spanked there...

Adding to all this, the elimination of our European champion basketball team, this has been a very disappointing 100 year anniversary... :(

PEACE

This is FOOTBALL, anything can happen and yes this thread is premature. Its not over until its over. Thats just a fact!

true. but how many times have we seen this? Too many.

i will be shocked if we do win it...

AEK is going to have to win the derby to make it interesting again...and Xanthi will have to take a point from OSFP as well.

And thats assuming that we beat OFI, Panionios and Aris and Kalamaria (how likely is that seriously)

Does anybody know - will 2nd place get a CL qualifyier spot???? Because then we could be less sad - an early CL campaign could be very good for the club - for one, it would FORCE the building of the team to be earlier (as opposed to last minute signings that need a month which is NOT good for the club)

Although it might be a bit heartbreaking to watch this team get embarassed in the CL next year :(

3- Luck. we were lucky for a long ways and not so lucky lately. Football is a game of luck. oly scored in veria on a double bank corner to the right pocket shot by pats and won the game. We allowed 3 goals against xanthi but missed 3 other sitters.  Here a player with skill and talent would come in handy.

im happy with ergoteli too & manchester!! pame oloi old trafford!!!
well if we are talking about young team (based on average age, which is really bogus and not significant statistic IMO) then experience won......again.

If anybody saw the boxing match Australias Greek Michael Katsidis and Casamayor last night...holds a nice anaolgy to PAO (Katsidis) and Olympiakos (Casamayor) in the league... really entertaining fight btw....

Casamayor held on and finished it at the end, Katsidis went at him, struggles, then went on a good streak but got careless in the last rounds and it fell apart... Casamayor some low blows and cheapshots, but still held on to win it...

about Ergotelis : yeah they got some good heart on that squad and I like seeing them up but Id love to pick up Koiliaras, Ogunsoto and their keeper off the team if they got relegated..

manucho is going to Tokyo for a friendly game... if he was injured den tha pigene...

I tried for most of the season to stay away from making negative comments.

The way our team has been playing is so frustrating that I need to let it out.

I agree that Vardi is useless. He has a loser mentality, makes egotistical decisions, and has created a negative atmosphere in the whole organization.

He has alienated the fans, the players and even the EPAE employees.

For the first time since 2003 he tried to bring better quality players.

He brought back Fyssas, Kara which was a small sign that he regretted destroying the best PAO team in the 21st century.

Mattos, N'doye, have been good additions.

Spyropoulos was needed and we have high hopes for him.

Manucho has not been used... Postiga has been disappointing for his class.

I agree that this is the best roster since 2003, with many decent choices but except from Kara and Mattos, no other player has been able to make the difference.

Peseiro has made many mistakes mostly in substitutions, but also has done well in bringing in players, and ball movement.

What I do not see is how he will solve the goal scoring problem.

Salpigidis is not fed the ball and no one is able to penetrate the defences one on one. We are not going to win just by relying on Mattos power shots and Ivan curve balls. Crossing is ineffective unless we have a master head-ball forward.

I think Peseiro can do much better with who he has.

Munioz and Malesani had worse talent.

I do not care what the refs do or how good or bad gauros or AEK are.

PAO is subpar one more season and if we do not win the league, which is only mathematically possible at this time, it would only be our teams fault and not unfair at all.

PAO played better than AEK and Oly in the last two Derbies and only got 2 points.

We dominate ball possession in most games but cannot score.

1-0 is not doing it.

Our defense is subject to errors and we sit back much too often to keep the 1-0 lead. That cost us dearly in the Rangers game which we once again gave away.

Gauros will win "his" league unless Kalamaria wins their appeal in the international court.

In the playoffs we get to watch a few more games.

Hopefully we will finish second and with some great player additions this summer... :whistle:

Archived