Phantis Forums

The Olympics in China

Irlandos

The Olympics will be held in China later this year but China has already been in the headlines with the protests and killings in Tibet.

From the BBC

Will civil rights for Tibet, other regions and even for the individual people be an issue in the 2008 Olympiad?

Personally, I think it's crazy that the Olympics were given to China in the first place. The idea was that it will force China to become more liberal. A similar approach is being used with Turkey's accession to the EU. "Let's get Turkey in the EU and she'll eventually come around to adopting European values."

But these approaches do not work. You cannot reward someone before they act appropriately. China has to change her ways towards her citizens (and those who are under her influence like in Taiwan, Tibet, etc). We're talking about people suffering re gamoto, and we're going to be applauding them and turning a blind eye? It's not right.

• 2 weeks later...

there were protests at the first teleth .........

one guy came and ran around the Chinese guy reading his speech - on the news it showed what Chinese television showed - the Chinese broadcast it with 40 second delay and when the protest happened they cut to scenes of old Olympia (pre-prepared) as the guy read on :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

one guy came and ran around the Chinese guy reading his speech - on the news it showed what Chinese television showed - the Chinese broadcast it with 40 second delay and when the protest happened they cut to scenes of old Olympia (pre-prepared) as the guy read on :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No, they cut to the crowd in attendance. (Unless I saw the Chinese version aimed at a British audience). :D

one guy came and ran around the Chinese guy reading his speech - on the news it showed what Chinese television showed - the Chinese broadcast it with 40 second delay and when the protest happened they cut to scenes of old Olympia (pre-prepared) as the guy read on :LOL:  :LOL:  :LOL:

No, they cut to the crowd in attendance. (Unless I saw the Chinese version aimed at a British audience). :D
maybe both......im just saying what i on saw my telly on TG1 (italian)

anyways still pretty funny........

everything is going just great let China assure you! ^_^

Archived