Phantis Forums

Aris FC

NikosVazelas

• 2 weeks later...

aris will now face atromito in the semis for the greek cup after beating xanthi 1-0 in harilaou. in my book they r the favorites for the greek cup. i think, with the cup final being in kaftatzogliou, with 20 aris fans, even against oly aris is the favorite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night Aris knocked out Atromitos in the return leg too beating them 1:2 (Nikolopoulos - Koke, Ivić) to secure their final against Olympiakos (who also beat again Thrasyvoulos 3:1 this time at home) at Kaftantzoglio in May the 17th.

:tup:

Last night Aris knocked out Atromitos in the return leg too beating them 1:2 (Nikolopoulos - Koke, Ivić) to secure their final against Olympiakos (who also beat again Thrasyvoulos 3:1 this time at home) at Kaftantzoglio in May the 17th.

:tup:

They made it easy too! Should be a great final with an amazing atmosphere (hopefully without episodia)

Hmm if I understand your fact above, I guess you forgot that Aris lost their 2005 Cup final to Olympiakos (3:0) in Patra, in that relegation season, when we, if I remember well, knew that we were already relegated before the match.

Still, we were competitive in the first half where we had 0:0 (Beniskos and Kouemaha were our attacking partners back then) but totally fallen apart in the second half by goals from Rivaldo and Giovanni (don't remember who scored the third, maybe Rivaldo one more). Rivaldo scored that beautiful lob from the right side beating Vangelis Pourliotopoulos (our keeper).

Thanks, REY, that's what happens when you use resources that are three years old and your memory fails as far as the last couple of years go.

Aris have made it 7 times to the final of the Greek Cup, winning only once. The last time out was in 2005 and they lost to OSFP in their solo final encounter v. the red-and-whites.

And that's true. This is their 8th shot and we will see what happens in this one. Also need to say that in this milenium they have made it twice already (3rd, with this year). Once lost to already mantioned OSFP and the other one in 2003 to PAOK 1:0 (goal scored by Georgiadis I think). The only Cup triumph was achieved back in 1970 when they beat eternal rivals PAOK 1:0.

OK, since this forum is under some kind of reconstruction and new beginning and for now I have no many up-to-date/appropriate topics nor the "Atromitos semis" topic, I can put my translated interview of my compatriot Sanel Jahić here:

GREECE Sanel Jahić progressed to the Cup final with Aris

The fans were "kissing" us like we already conquered the trophy

A trophy has been waited for 38 yrs * We can surprise Olympiakos

Sanel Jahić qualified for the Greek Cup final with Aris winning 2 times over Atromitos. After 1:0 in the first match, Thessaloniki club won also the revenge (2:1) having a chance to fight for a title in this season. Our international played the full match in Athens.

The cup is priority

-Although we won, the task wasn't the easiest. Atromitos entered the match aiming to score an early goal to nullify our adventage from the first match. In first half an hour we stood the pressure and defended, and the more time passing the more situation was going in our favor, says ex Željezničar player.

In the final Aris are expecting very tough task to beat the best side in Greece- Olympiakos.

-Olympiakos have for their goal to conquer the league title. The cup isn't that important to them. To us yes, fans of Aris have been waiting for that trophy for 38 years now, and in this season they see their real ocassion, especially due to the fact that the final match takes place in Thessaloniki, where we will be certanly given the fantastic atmosphere. I think our chances are good, specifically due to the fact that the final will be played after the championship, so many potential changes could hit Olympiakos by then, saying Jahić. The fans are already satisfied, our footballer says that they prepared a hor atmosphere and reception on the Thessaloniki airport.

-By the return, almost 4.000 fans were waiting for us. They were cheering, chanting, kissing and hugging us like we already won the Cup. With that support in the final, we will have even bigger motive to win for sure, says Jahić.

International football

Sanel got a call from our coach Meho Kodro before the B&H vs. FYRoM match. The May schedule for friendly games is closing in and Jahić is hoping that will fulfil the confidence of our coach again.

-I hope that Kodro will call me up again. I still feel sorry for unwinning FYRoM, but that was just a friendly match, there is still enough time to get the stuffs in their order, told us Jahić

I'm sorry 'cause of Sloboda

Jahić is trying to follow the matches of his beloved Željezničar. Being asked about his ex club, Sanel expressed the sadness, 'cause the club hasn't beaten Sloboda.

-Pitty, in the revenge it will be tough for my friends to overcome, especially knowing the fact how's to play in Tuzla. I would love if Željo succeeded and secured their exit in Europe for next season says Jahić

Panathinaikos want Bajević

BH international has adapted well in Thessaloniki. He is satisfied with the squad and his status, and coach Duško Bajević helped him in that. But the question is whether the "expert from Mostar" stays in Thessaloniki for the next season as well.

-Panathinaikos want Bajević, and that is in Greece one of the top stories. I don't know what will be, Duško didn't express himself yet. Momentally we are all turned to the cup. I would be sad to see him leave, he is a great coach that is perfect for a cooperation with, speaking Jahić.

M. Tanović, Dnevni avaz, Sarajevo, published yesterday

-Panathinaikos want Bajević, and that is in Greece one of the top stories. I don't know what will be, Duško didn't express himself yet. Momentally we are all turned to the cup. I would be sad to see him leave, he is a great coach that is perfect for a cooperation with, speaking Jahić.[/color]

NO! Ive always liekd bajevic! Dont ruin your reputation! :P

I hope he stays at Aris honestly. Aris are a good team and can do well in europe if they play to their full potential and be well organised. BAjevic can give them this. With a few solid signings, and a bit of luck (unlike this year) Aris can make it passed the group stage in the uefa cup and possibly finish 3rd in greek league .

To tell you the truth, I expected maybe something more from this season regarding the final standings. Of course I know the reality, but also as a young and optimistic guy still I had some tiny percentage of belief in my heart that Aris could treaten the top 3 harder. Probably less than 1% even for a league title this year, but my biggest star and hope died after the match against AEK at Kleanthis Vikelidis when we looked great and solid in the standings and needed not to loose that match in order to keep one sweet little hope, if nothing else bigger than that...but that's football, thats life..

The Chalkias bench reasons

1. Under the pressure and importance of big matches, in front of full stands like those in Toumba or Allianz Arena or even when we played Braga in pretty full and "hungry" Vikelidis, every time when we needed him even at some average level if already cant be very good on day as he usually has been keepeing for us, he blew and not with one bad ball or misjudgement but actually multi of those...4 times he blew against Bayern (I'm sure I got several grey hairs and shortened my life for good several years ;) ), 1 crucial time when we conceded against Braga at home (remember, if we had won that match, we would have been through after just 3 matches much before Bayern and Bolton), also 2 goals against PAOK in Toumba when we got humiliated...also last season in Toumba when we undeservingly lost 1:0 and a couple of other doubtful situations. I think Duško decided to use the Chalkias-Kelemen rotation after he got disappointed not that much after the Bayern match but Toumba one in specific.

Now both Kelemen and Chalkias are used equally, but the truth be told, still an adventage has Kelemen recently as being our No. 1. Duško's rotation mainly goes under this principle: "2 or even 3 matches at most one keeps, next 2 or 3 the other one...he broke his principle recently 'cause Chalks was injured.

2. Chalkias has been offered with a contract extension by PAE recent months, which he kind of rejects in silence or rather dragging it for too long, since his contract expires this summer.

I don't have anything against Chalkias, he has the presence, style for keeping especially when being on-goal line, also his technical keeper training is at good level, but his rushing and stepping forward going for the ball after set pieces has been tragic, not just in Aris but even before.

3. Kelemen's sportsmanship or rather professionalism and patience. While Chalks screwing, he has been patient, never behaving bad nor complaining and I agree with Bajević, he absolutely deseved his chances, plus he is not a bad keeper.

i would think that aris can use it's precious funds elsewhere, instead of re-newing chalkias' contract.

I have that in mind too. If we can't get one super keeper for some standable money for our standards, no hurry..Let Chalkias go since his wage is already very high, Kelemen steps up as a definite No. 1 and promote young international Stratilatis (one who got a silver medal in Austria last year with your U-19 national) as a back up, Karatziovalis stays as 3rd choice as it has been the case actually last 2 or 3 years and save that money potentially given to Chalkias and invest it on one solid field position that we actually need in the summer. As simple as this

Archived