Phantis Forums

The Economics of Big Clubs

athinaios

IF you look into what the two big teams spend/earn in Greece, you'll see that they're rather small companies (even by Greek standards). Now put it in some perspetive by comparing them to the rich euro clubs.

This article explains it

Take a look at the second table, with attendances and compare those to our league's. Rangers, for example, has an average attendance of 49-50,000!

In this pdf file (detailed analysis) you can further explore the subject. [note: the pdf is big so unless you have a fast connection, don't bother]

Obviously, money doesn't determine success, but it a BIG factor.

Now the question is: can smaller teams ever compete with the huge rich clubs?

Your thoughts...

i have always thought this and this is just proof to back me up.. to be a "big" european team, you have to be in a big market, you need a big fan base more than anything, and then comes everything else, stadiums, tv contracts, etc.

This has been my theory behind greek soccer and the true reason behind why we will never improve that much. If you look at the elite leagues, england, spain, italy, germany, etc. They have more than just 3 teams or 4 teams that can sell out their stadiums, they have huge fan bases....and this is all proportional with population in the country

even so called decent/non-elite teams in other countries, the Sevillas, tottenham, borussia dortmund, atletico madrid, marseilles, all these teams that are not elite, have a strong backing, because they have a team for the city they are from and they feel a sense of unity through it...

this will never happen in greece because kids grow up rooting for one of the big 3 generally, with exception to a couple teams in thessaloniki which we know paok and aris stadiums can be a living hell to play in. But why do they actually manage to sell out games..they are based out of virtually the second capital of greece and a big city... pou na deis veroia, ergotelis, ofi or any other teams sell out a game...simply aren't enough fans

If you take our population of say 11-12 million whatever we are now..say 50% actively follow soccer and would go see a game..which clearly is overstating the actual figure, i would still say about 75% of that 50% follow one of the big 3

Now look at the populations of the other countries that have solid leagues and produce world class players, there is a correlation...the only exception i can think of who has not an elite league, but a solid league, and always produces world class players is portugal which i still havnt quite figured out why yet..maybe somethin to do with neighboring spain or the portuguese/brazilian connection...IDK

Archived