Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2008

Tsoglani

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just hope that we can sighn up Ivan for the next 4 years and not cheap out of the set deal we could potentially have (4 million i think).

Apprently Mattos wants to stay at Pao, and i belive if we win the League and Get a CL spot we should double his salary and and tie him down for the next 4 years with a high buy out clause (not this bullshit 6 million clause we have on him now)

Finally, if Postiga can hit form and play well for Pao, i hope we do sighn him, i thinl he is one of the better "name" players to come to Pao...

P.S apprently Mario.Galin's contract is set to expire, i hope we can re-sign him for the next 3 years...

Guest TheLegend

postigas name isnt enough anywhere...

Rivaldos name is barely enough for AEK.....

Postiga has played very average and below average and his last good run was back around the euros in 2004....I dont see him doing anything special from now till the summer...

postigas name isnt enough anywhere...

Rivaldos name is barely enough for AEK.....

Postiga has played very average and below average and his last good run was back around the euros in 2004....I dont see him doing anything special from now till the summer...

i disagree..i think he can definitly do well in the greek league...he will need some time though and 6 months may not be enough...postiga only does well when he plays under a coach that has faith in him..

i just hope that we can sighn up Ivan for the next 4 years and not cheap out of the set deal we could potentially have (4 million i think).

Apprently Mattos wants to stay at Pao, and i belive if we win the League and Get a CL spot we should double his salary and and tie him down for the next 4 years with a high buy out clause (not this bullshit 6 million clause we have on him now)

Finally, if Postiga can hit form and play well for Pao, i hope we do sighn him, i thinl he is one of the better "name" players to come to Pao...

P.S apprently Mario.Galin's contract is set to expire, i hope we can re-sign him for the next 3 years...

Where did you get the information Matos wants to stay at PAO?

All what i have heard is that he sees PAO as a next Step to his carreer.

If you got a link i would be glad if you could provide us this so we can read this reports too.

The clause for Mattos is certainly not 6 million. Apparently, an easy way out for the Brazilian was part of the summer deal as Mattos' dream obviously never was to play for PAO for the rest of his career! If he acquires that EU passport in the summer it is just a matter of luck: if a really good club is interested in him PAO can do nothing but pocket a mere 1.5 million and look for another top class DM. If we have to fight to keep Mattos against the likes of Boro, though, we might have a chance. Here's the link to the contract details: Mattos

well isnt it 4m to sign him this summer?

when 4m for ivanschitz is pushing it how is it not for postiga??

we should spend around 400 euros for Postiga. 4 million you have to be kidding me, not worth it. Ivanschitz is a MUST purchsase though....we dont sign him then we are setting the team back another year or two AGAIN.......like how we dropped Kolkka and Lybe(GREAT CALL!) and even Markus Munch (who was old but performed 5x better than Seric).........It takes us so damn long to find players that TRULY perform and excel at this club, it will take us so much more time and testing costing results and money to find another Ivanschitz...

The clause for Mattos is certainly not 6 million. Apparently, an easy way out for the Brazilian was part of the summer deal as Mattos' dream obviously never was to play for PAO for the rest of his career! If he acquires that EU passport in the summer it is just a matter of luck: if a really good club is interested in him PAO can do nothing but pocket a mere 1.5 million and look for another top class DM. If we have to fight to keep Mattos against the likes of Boro, though, we might have a chance. Here's the link to the contract details: Mattos

i really hope mattos doesnt go...he seems happy to play for pao and we are more then happy to keep him...lets hope we tie him don for alittle more money then that....

3/4 of the way in this season, we could look at what we have and what we need this summer irrespective of what happens in the end of the season, especially in light of the numerous posts that just about trash everyone lately.

Coach: Peseiro

Great coach. Made a name as an attacking coach, reached the UEFA cup final before, and has put some order in the team that was a circus until he came. The team has changed almost 10 coaches in the last five years (someone check that) with not much effect. It tells me that coach is not usually the problem. We could find worst, but we'll be hard pressed to find better. Continuity is important too, so as long as he is good, there is no reason to change coaches. Sign him up for another three years and let him work (unless he looses the last ten games).

(in parenthesis the age of the player next year)

/////////////////////////////////

GK

Galinovic (32-33)

Very good goalkeeper. Almost mistake-free this season. Good in high balls, good reflexes, calm and collected. Has saved our behind several times. Sign him up for another three years.

Malartz (29)

Good goalkeeper. Has great reflexes and is great shot blocker. Too shakey under pressure. His reaction to high crosses is usually panicky. His exits off his line are surreal, and when defenders pass him the ball it's prayer time. His short stature is a handicap. If he does not mind the bench, and if he is a good sport he should stay.

Karnezis (24)

Prototypical body for a goalkeeper. We have not seen him at all this season so I don't know how good he is. I would trust the coach on this one.

RB

Nilsson (31)

A converted RM who has played some good games this season. Very good fundamentals, nice swift dribbling and nimble running with the ball. A bit slow for the position, but his inteligense compensates. We could find better, but most likely we would find worst at this position. Sign him up for another three years.

Vintra (28)

Prototypical body type and speed for the position. Very good defender on one-to-one challenges, quick off his line to cut down forward passes, and good in high balls. His first touch is suspect, and his passing/dribbling/crossing are attrocious. He is a hard worker though, and has shown some character through all the nastiness the fans have thrown his way. Sign him up for another three years.

LB (26)

Spyropoulos is the man now.

He has not played yet, but every fan expects the world off him. I have not seen him much in Panionios, but from what I have seen he is the best LB in Greece. With some hard work he can be world class, but I am also holding a small basket because Panathinaikos fans have proven to be foible and will turn on him on a dime if he has a few bad games (the ones we never hear about when he had them with Panionios). He is already signed up, but for the fun of it give him a three year extension.

Seric (30)

I promised myself not to say anything bad about PAO players, but it's hard to find anything good to say about Seric. He will leave in the summer and no one will really miss him or notice that he is gone.

Fyssas (36)

Came home to retire. He has been patient and showed that he could help a little more if he was asked to. He can't play 90 minutes any more, and his speed (that was always his weak point) has dropped a little. He does know what to do with the ball in the opponent's end of the field, and he has a long history with PAO. He was also one of the players heckled by the fans and never really appreciated so the fact that he came back is a sign that he loves the team. If he wants to keep playing I say sign him up for another year.

CB (34)

Goumas is the player that has received not few ironic comments from the ungrateful fans. He has been a pillar in our defense, and every year we bring one or two other starters just to see him displace them with his heart and solid play. IMO, one of the best CBs of Greece. Quick off his line, decisive with his tackling, great defender on man-to-man situations, Good in the air, very clever, and skilled enough to be confident with the ball at his feet. He is going to be 34 next year and this is a good age for a CB. Sign him up for another three years.

Morris (28)

Fantastic defender on man-to-man situations. Despite his small stature he always manages to displace even bigger opponents when they run side to side. He has the tendency to react in complicated ways where a simple touch or kick would suffice, but this makes him more "fancy" and nice to watch. Very skilled with the ball, very clever defender, very clean with his tackles and decent in the air. His small stature is a handicap in this position but the rest of his skills are as good as you would ever find in a defender.

Sariegi (30)

Almost a carbon copy of Goumas without his cool reactions. He is skilled with the ball, clever enough, and strong enough to play well most of the time. He had several games when he looked out of sorts, but he also had some very solid games. We could find better, but we could also find much worst. Sign him up for another two years even though he might end up mostly on the bench.

DM

Mattos (25)

The best DM I have ever seen playing at PAO since the seventies. Has he played for Brazil's NTs? if not, quick make him Greek and plant him in our NT for the summer. Great defender, with excellent ball handling skills, and accurate passing. He rarely gifts the ball to opponents, and he is the best at moving the team forward quickly when he gets the ball. Very clever, with great endurance. He shows great passion on the pitch and I wish fans will stop mentioning "he just wants to go to bigger clubs". He gives 100% on the pitch for PAO and that's all I care for. I am glad he has ambitions and I hope to see him play for a great European team some day. Until then, if he keeps fighting like he has, he is in my "best players" list. Sign him up for another four years.

Tziolis (24)

Excellent player. Very solid defensively, good in the air, and very strong in his personal battles. Level headed, has worked through the doubt and some heckling of the ungrateful PAO fans this season, even though he worked hard to gain a well deserved starting position. Decent first touch, very good ball control for his height, excellent defender in midfield, very smart, and very good passer. Good endurance, and strenght, but he lacks in explosiveness. If he had this third attribute (and he can improve it with some off-season training) he would be playing for a great European team by now (then the fans would be bitching about management, but we'll cover this taboo topic another day). Sign him up for another four years.

Simao (21)

20 year-old project. Came to PAO thanks to Peseiro's contacts and has been an amazing story. If he were Greek everyone would be drooling about another great talent that PAO produced. Tall, skilled with the ball, very good passer, and excellent defender. We saw him almost exclusively as a DM but he came as a CB. Sign him up for four years.

Leontiou

Missed the whole 2007-08 season with a knee injury the kind of which might be hard to come back from. He is a hard worker, and in preseason he showed that he was determined to content for a starting spot. Very skilled with the ball, and with a good forward pass. He is way too slow for a LB, and the only reason he played there was the injuries to all other LBs. Sign him up for another four years and let him compete for the second DM position.

////////////////////////////////

RM

Karagounis (32)

He is not really a RM and he suffers from lack of space there, but no one else has stepped forward to claim the spot so he got it by default. Good ball skills, and great passion in the game. He's had a very quiet year though, contributing here and there, but not as much as was anticipated when his returned in the summer. He loves the team, and has good ball skills so we should sign him for another four years, although he would have to up his game for a starting position.

Ninis (19)

we have not seen much of him this year. He was the victim of much hyperbole last year when he played a handful of excellent games. Excellent ball handler, with explosiveness and dribbling skills to become a world class winger. He did show some signs of "dragging his feet" on the pitch, especially in the summer "Elpides" games I saw, so I suspect his work rate needs to improve. He is a fan favorite though so even pointing this out has infuriated a few readers here. He had a rough season because he played non-stop in the summer, missed offseason training and then got injured and had an operation. He's been back with the team only in the las couple months. Sign him up for another four years and let him compete for the RM against a newcomer.

Romero (31)

He had an attrocious last year, but this season he was improved a great deal. Still he did not show that he can lock a starting position, but he is useful off the bench, and has shown to be capable of a great game here and there. Sign him up for another year.

Dimoutsos (21)

Another success story for the Panathinaikos youth movement. He locked the starting spot early in the season and showed that he was staring at a great future ahead. He did show the tendecy later in the season to hold the ball way too much (he kind of reminds me of a baby karagounis when he dribbled so much), and this landed him firmly on the bench. Excellent dribbling abillity and passion on the field. Sign him up for another four years.

LM

Ivanschitz (26)

Very good player with excellent ball handling skills and movement in space. Sweet left foot and crossing abillity. The best we have in delivering set pieces. Has some speed and enough strenght for his position. His defensive abillities are a bit suspect but we'll let Spyropoulos worry about that. Sign him up for another four years.

OM

Gonzales (29)

Coming back from a long (almost two years) knee injury is a feat in itself. He looks fresh and nimble on the field with good, smart forward passing. Excellent ball handling in tight quarters and good football smarts. He was burdened too long with the "leader" crap, but I think he can be an excellent player if he just settles to being just another piece of the puzzle. Sign him up for another two years.

Strikers

Salpigidis (28)

He is the man. In pre-season and early on, fan bitching was about to reach the usual annoying level here at Phantis and in the stands, but he quieted everyone with his incredible work rate, and fantastic scoring percentages. His first touch coud improve, but his killer instinct is not something that can be taught. Sign him up for four more years.

N'doye (24)

He came as a RM, but every time he was trusted with that position he showed that he knows nothing about it. Excellent ball handler, storng, and quick. Able to control the ball and create separation from defenders in a way that no other of our strikers can. He is just learning the position and he has shown that he is capable for the best and the worst of reactions when faced with the goal. IMO he should be a starter until someone else wins the job. Sign him up for another four years.

Papadopoulos (28)

He has contributed a great deal for PAO, especially given that no one expected much from him when he was first signed. This has been his worst season, and he seems to be off mentally and physically. He'll probably be released this summer. No hard feelings from me. He worked his but off for the team in previous years and he was reason number one (number two was Olisadebe) for our only championship of the last ten years. He still has something left in the tank and he would be good with another team where the pressure is less.

Postiga (27)

One of the best Portuguese talents of four years ago that seems to be on a downward spiral. He came to save he career, but in the few games he played he did not show that he can win a starting forward position. Six appearances already and just about zero goals or other contributions is not something he can write home about. But it's still early and he has the skills and experience to improve. Should he sign again? I have not seen enough to have an opinion one way or another.

Manoucho (25)

The great unknown. He had some excellent games and scoring in Africa cup. But I suspect even our Superleague defending might be much tougher than what is exhibited in those games. He is tall, and he is on loan from ManU, and that's all we know for now.

and while I am at it, give everyone who stays a raise too.

I think this summer we'll be looking for CB, RM, CF, and LM. No "leader" and "dekari" talk from me.

So there you have it. I just waisted a perfectly good hour thinking and writing about our team so someone else can come and rip it all apart in two-sentence contributions. But that's ok, go ahead, that's what kafeneia are for Posted Image

I saw Asteras' Kardoso again today against Olympiakos, and in all the games I've seen so far I've been impressed. He is a very skilled DM with some pace and good drible. He also plays with a lot of passion. With Leontiou's return another DM might be a luxury, but I would not mind seeing him with the green jersey.

First, thanks Cyber for this nice work. Most reasonable panathes would agree with your evaluation. But, one thing that's evident this season is that the bad players are the EXCEPTION not the rule--as it's been the case for many years.

I don't want to see another DM yet, because I think the team needs to gel more. More players on rotation means more time to bring the team together. I've noticed that the team seems solid and with chemistry only when a certain combination of players is present. So, we need lots of work, but we do have some very good talent.

3/4 of the way in this season, we could look at what we have and what we need this summer irrespective of what happens in the end of the season, especially in light of the numerous posts that just about trash everyone lately. [whole post]

Geia sou trelle. Eise kala re file?

First off... Is this the sequal to War and Peace? :P

Second:

Postiga (27)

One of the best Portuguese talents of four years ago that seems to be on a downward spiral. He came to save he career, but in the few games he played he did not show that he can win a starting forward position. Six appearances already and just about zero goals or other contributions is not something he can write home about.

When he first came and I was saying he's a bum that would flop because he has no real weapons, you guys were saying I was anti-PAO. ;)

3rd:

Salpigidis (28)

He is the man. In pre-season and early on, fan bitching was about to reach the usual annoying level here at Phantis and in the stands, but he quieted everyone with his incredible work rate, and fantastic scoring percentages. His first touch coud improve, but his killer instinct is not something that can be taught. Sign him up for four more years.

Again, when I was saying he was the best signing PAO had made in years, people were laughing and saying things like: "DUDE, everyone has their favourites, and he's one of yours. But he really isn't that good. He has no control, misses chances, etc"... but now he has "killer instinct"?

As for some of the rest of your analysis, this pretty much says it all:

I promised myself not to say anything bad about PAO players

The moral of the story? If you guys want to learn something about football start listening to me! And if you want to win a trophy, get Pesseiro out and get Vardinoyianni to employ me!!! PAO might even win the league under me! :LOL:

GATA today says something about.... xrstodoulopoulou, cardozo, avraam papadopoulo for the summer... but again i dont believe this news paper!

GATA today says something about.... xrstodoulopoulou, cardozo, avraam papadopoulo for the summer... but again i dont believe this news paper!

With the exception of Xristodolopoulo (who i feel is hugely overrated), you have my approval to sign them. :P

3/4 of the way in this season, we could look at what we have and what we need this summer irrespective of what happens in the end of the season, especially in light of the numerous posts that just about trash everyone lately. [whole post]

Geia sou trelle. Eise kala re file?

First off... Is this the sequal to War and Peace? :P

Second:

Postiga (27)

One of the best Portuguese talents of four years ago that seems to be on a downward spiral. He came to save he career, but in the few games he played he did not show that he can win a starting forward position. Six appearances already and just about zero goals or other contributions is not something he can write home about.

When he first came and I was saying he's a bum that would flop because he has no real weapons, you guys were saying I was anti-PAO. ;)

3rd:

Salpigidis (28)

Again, when I was saying he was the best signing PAO had made in years, people were laughing and saying things like: "DUDE, everyone has their favourites, and he's one of yours. But he really isn't that good. He has no control, misses chances, etc"... but now he has "killer instinct"?

As for some of the rest of your analysis, this pretty much says it all:

The moral of the story? If you guys want to learn something about football start listening to me! And if you want to win a trophy, get Pesseiro out and get Vardinoyianni to employ me!!! PAO might even win the league under me! :LOL:

ha ha :LOL: :LOL:

this is an omphaloskepsis post if I ever seen one.

DUDE, what happened man? I used to enjoy your posts, but in the last few months you have lost your touch. You just keep talking about yourself :P

Let me guess, you have never read War and Peace.

With the exception of Xristodolopoulo (who i feel is hugely overrated), you have my approval to sign them. :P

xrsto is a paixtoura!! :D

Archived