Phantis Forums

Serra Ferrer

The2ndMouse

Well i just read that he is DONE!!!! I am really shocked because i thought that we will let him finish the season and then let him go. WOW i am glad that he is leaving because in the 2nd round of the SL it looked that he had lost control. Oh well life goes on. THANK YOU FERRER.........

I agree that the timing was a little off. Ferrer should have finished off the season and then leave....but on the otherhand, if Demi finds a new manager, one that is a proven winner, it may be better to have him now in the middle of the season so he can be prepared to clean up the team before the summer.

Hopefully we can get a good greek manager who will play the Greek young talent we have. The team doesnt have chemistry. They haven't bought into Ferrer's tactics.

it is no longer the middle of the season. we have 10 games left and these will happen very quickly as we will have two wednesday games in the next 8 weeks. as for the coach cleaning house, there is suffice time in the summer to do so.

I think they should of kept him on til the end of the season. Unless there is something behind the scenes we dont know.....

Folks....the team was a sinking ship with Ferrer. Why keep him on board as a lame-duck coach.

Players will have something to prove now that he's gone. Great move by management. Wake up and smell the coffee! This team was going nowhere with Ferrer at the helm this season........

http://sports.phantis.com/soccer/news/read...D=2008021293238

i agree with most people in here about sacking Ferrer was a wrong move...

lets look at this realistically, he is probably the best coach Aek can get in the next decade period (in acco0rdince 2 his resume)

He had a great first season with you guys (no one expectyed you guys to do so well like u did, but we all forget dont we?) and up to this point wasnt as bad as you may think (this season only looked bad coz of ur last two losses to larisa and Panion)

Now i admit that Aek havent been playing Great football but really whos fault is it?? from what ive read apprently Ferrer wasnt to crash hot about signing Granfather Rivaldo and it was all Demis doing. If thats the case along with the aging pensioners you have in your team (i.e Lybe, Zikos, Dellas, Rivaldo ect..) and the cheap/s%$#! transfers you brought in (i.e manduca and c.o) what did demis expect this coach to do? sub off rivaldo or not use him and then have him crying to demis about sacking him (just like he did with Oly?)

Point is with this team that you currently have not even fergie could do s%$#!!, What you needed to do is keep Ferrer untill next year b4 you sack him. Give him the chance to clean out the fossils you have in your team and let him create what he was orginally trying to creat in the fist year and that was a young fast team that plays attacking football without the personalitys such as rivaldo and lybe...

Now what demis has done is put up the white little flag and given up on Europe, and the League for this year. you guys are probably going to get hammerd in Europe and drop much more points in the league coz of this... :tdown:

Sorry guys but this was a really bad/s%$#! go for ferrer considering he hasnt got much to work with (budget wise as well) :tdown: :tdown:

Guest TheLegend

Folks....the team was a sinking ship with Ferrer. Why keep him on board as a lame-duck coach.

Players will have something to prove now that he's gone. Great move by management. Wake up and smell the coffee! This team was going nowhere with Ferrer at the helm this season........

Aek was lucky with their start... how can u expect to even compete for the league with the loan/free reject players? Up to now you were in a good position... so you fire a coach who held 1st place with a crappy squad fora while? Once again demis proves he is not fit as a owner ;)

http://sports.phantis.com/soccer/news/read...D=2008021293238

i agree with most people in here about sacking Ferrer was a wrong move...

lets look at this realistically, he is probably the best coach Aek can get in the next decade period (in acco0rdince 2 his resume)

He had a great first season with you guys (no one expectyed you guys to do so well like u did, but we all forget dont we?) and up to this point wasnt as bad as you may think (this season only looked bad coz of ur last two losses to larisa and Panion)

Now i admit that Aek havent been playing Great football but really whos fault is it?? from what ive read apprently Ferrer wasnt to crash hot about signing Granfather Rivaldo and it was all Demis doing. If thats the case along with the aging pensioners you have in your team (i.e Lybe, Zikos, Dellas, Rivaldo ect..) and the cheap/s%$#! transfers you brought in (i.e manduca and c.o) what did demis expect this coach to do? sub off rivaldo or not use him and then have him crying to demis about sacking him (just like he did with Oly?)

Point is with this team that you currently have not even fergie could do s%$#!!, What you needed to do is keep Ferrer untill next year b4 you sack him. Give him the chance to clean out the fossils you have in your team and let him create what he was orginally trying to creat in the fist year and that was a young fast team that plays attacking football without the personalitys such as rivaldo and lybe...

Now what demis has done is put up the white little flag and given up on Europe, and the League for this year. you guys are probably going to get hammerd in Europe and drop much more points in the league coz of this... :tdown:

Sorry guys but this was a really bad/s%$#! go for ferrer considering he hasnt got much to work with (budget wise as well) :tdown: :tdown:

Yes but realistically who brought in Alves, Azcarate, Manu.

Ferrer made the poor decision to not start Blanco in games where we needed his goal scoring ability. He starts the game against Larisa with three defensive midfielders.

Lets also look at his attitude towards AEK and his mistakes:

1 - Ferrer has not once taken responsibility for any of the teams losses or shortcomings.

2 - He continuously refers to AEK's budget or lack there of as a reason for their losses. Was AEK's budget at fault when we lost to Irakli at home, when Panionios scored 2 goals in a span of 5 minutes, when Radzinsky single handly embarrasses your defense. Did these three teams have a larger budget than AEK (because that is what he referred to when we lost to PAO and OFSP).

3 - Ferrer has to realize that he is on a major team that "should" be challenging for the title every single year. You don't say in the post game interview after a loss to OFSP, "koitaxame ton OLY sta matia". Regardless of your chances to win, by saying that you are acknowledging that AEK is a smaller team, an underdog in a fight, but wasn't intimidated. This my friends creates the mindset of a small team and small teams do not win!!!

4 - He got mad when people questioned starting Bourbos during the game against Xanthi. He was puzzled why people would question starting a player on the roster....Don Ferrer, the boy hadn't played a game since the preseason friendlies thats why we were puzzled.

I didnt think Ferrer was going to last the entire 4 years of his contract but i did think he would have stayed until the end of this season. Even before today's events i lost all hope in the protathlima as our schedule is not as easy as people made it out to be. This home field advantage bullshit spoken about was nonsense. there is no such thing as home field advantage when you lose 2-1 to irakli at home and 3-2 to Panionios.

The problem is that no matter what a coach does, everyone will piss and moan about a choice he made that they dont agree with personaly.

Maybe ferrer did make alot of mistakes but hey who doesnt, point is your club Aek two years ago was bankrupt, and u were looking down the barrel of the B Division. Ferrer came in knowing ur situation and did a wonderfull job in his first year; fighting for the title, recording ur first CL wins against Milian and Lyon (i belive) and giving all aek supporters "HOPE"...

Now this year i admit wasnt/isnt the best year for Aek but if u consider the s%$#! aging players u have, also take into account ur transfer budget and the fact up untill 3 weeks ago Aek was consistantly leading the greek League, it wasnt all doom and Gloom for you guys...

My point is that you say "he is on a major team that "should" be challenging for the title every single year" is not True!!

ur not a major team anymore, u were finanacially bankrupt and ur still feeling the effects of two years ago and you expect to be on the same level/Page as oly and Pao who are rich and full of great players?? your expectations along with alot of Aek supporters are way to high!! You forget so easily the situation Aek was and is currently in just because of one GREAT year??

Everyone was saying once most of Aeks debts were cleard 2 years ago that it will take a minimum of 5 years for Aek to recover and be strong once again (which i totally agree with). Yet everyone forgets so easily because of one GREAT season (That hope that i mentioned 2 paragraphs ago has turned into FALSE HOPE)...

Point is, Ferrer should have been given untill the end of year to be judged, he is without a shadow of a doubt the best Manager you or any Greek team will get in the next 10 years (resume wise and experience wise). Now that demis has sacked him there goes ur whole season, he'll there goes the next 5 years (unless by mircale ur able to find someone just as good if not better), you'll probably end up with a Lemonis type manager and slowly become a Paok type team...

Very bad move in my opinon

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/n...sid=657089.html

WOW! I am shocked by Ferrer's departure. In all honesty I feel that AEK are the weakest of the big 3 in Greece and maybe Ferrer's been hard done by. They should have at least waited a month or 2 from now. If AEK go out to Getafe and mess up another couple of league games then i can understand his departure. But the reality is that AEK are still in the running for the league and are still in the UEFA Cup. Very surprising decision which is typically Greek in it's impulsive manner. Who on earth do AEK have lined up now?

o kostenoglou tha einai mia xara...... how about Ketsbagia?

who kostenoglou and who kesbagia?

I like the idea of firing ferrer, but the timming couldnt have been worse!!

You dont sack your coach the day before the biggest game of the season?

who kostenoglou and who kesbagia?

I like the idea of firing ferrer, but the timming couldnt have been worse!!

You dont sack your coach the day before the biggest game of the season?

both players used to play for aek back then... kostenoglou and ketsabaia!!! i really like ketsabaia... megalos paixtaras!!!!

i agree about the timing.. i think they fired him the at the wrong time

AEK Athens FC have parted company with coach Lorenzo Serra Ferrer on the eve of their match against Getafe CF in the UEFA Cup Round of 32.

Losing streak

The decision follows successive defeats by Panionios GSS and Larissa FC which have caused AEK to drop from first to third place in the Greek Super League, four points behind leaders Panathinaikos FC. The 54-year-old Serra Ferrer had been appointed in summer 2006 and enjoyed a successful first season, taking AEK into the UEFA Champions League group stage where they recorded wins against AC Milan and LOSC Lille Metropole.

Read the full article here.

Still no official anouncement on aekfc.Gr ...

3 - Ferrer has to realize that he is on a major team that "should" be challenging for the title every single year.  You don't say in the post game interview after a loss to OFSP, "koitaxame ton OLY sta matia".  Regardless of your chances to win, by saying that you are acknowledging that AEK is a smaller team, an underdog in a fight, but wasn't intimidated.  This my friends creates the mindset of a small team and small teams do not win!!!

thecity1924-

i respect your posts and football accumen. i have to tell you that i have a problem with this statement and what it represents.

nothing is a given. nothing is assumed. you see, this is how olympiakos operates. 'we are a big side, we are the most popular side in greece, we deserve calls and deserve to play in europe every year'. this is why olympiakos doesn't invest in it's 'academy' and does tpixes-level greek transfers - IT DOESN'T HAVE TO. IT WINS THE LEAGUE YEAR AFTER YEAR - IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF MONEY. ok fine, for the most part, that's the greek way.

well, the greek football mentality way is the wrong football mentality way.

if i scoff at olympiakos because of this attitude, i can't be hypocritical and feel this with way about aek.

at this moment, aek is not a 'major' club. the reasons are obvious. let's recover and then become a huge side, once again, in greece and in europe. let's do it the right way, not with bribes and intimidation. you see, bribes and intimidation don't work where it counts the most - $$$$$ in europe $$$$$ - money, legitimate prestige and honor. winning the double/triple/quadrouple in greece and then a 0-7 in europe...this is olympiakos' legacy, i don't want that type of legacy. it's an open joke.

i think aek and demis are getting very frustrated, not playing on a level playing field. well, if demi had the guts to look psomiadi in the eye and go against a gangster, i would expect demi to go after the scum of greek football. i want demi to stick around...if demi gets the sack, the 'mini-revolution' of 2008 would be crushed by the scum that rule greek football like a fiefdom.

for aek to be a huge club, we'll prove it on the pitch, not behind the scenes. it was just in my opinion that we needed more time to do this. now, i don't know in what direction this side is going with kostenoglou.

aek66, i completely agree with you. Im not only interested in winning the protathlima at all costs, i want to see our greek youth developing through AEK's academies, i want to see good football and players playing for the team with pride, even if they lose.

My problem with Ferrer's attitude is that on the pitch you need balls. Manolas used to tell his fellow defenders that if they let the opposing player go by them tha tous gamouse. Ferrer's statements in the media portray the mindset of a small team. You cannot develop and win without guts and heart. The reality is that AEK has very little money...we all know that, why bring it up over and over again. when you know your main opponents are OLY and PAO and the message that has been given to the fans and players is that we are contending for the championship you portray the attitude of a champion.

AEK is in a rebuilding stage and everyone must be patient. However, when you need the 9 million euro from CL, to continue to rebuild, you cannot settle for second place. You need a*****a to give you home field advantage, you need a*****a to turn around a game you are losing 3-0 (in the last 20 minutes of the panionios game AEK did not create even 1 chance). Balls, passion, heart come from the top. I think Demi has the balls and the guts to gamble and put his faith in players, coaches, and the team but Ferrer diluted that passion.

aek66

being arrogant is certainly not a valid reason for sacking a coach however, it appears that there have been issues within the team caused by Ferrer's character. After a tough loss it is often good for the team's morale to have the coach go out in public and take the blame. Ferrer clearly thought otherwise.

He undoubtedly brought many positive achievements to the team and i fully agree that the timing was completely off, but, I am not that surprised or upset that he is gone.

I think Demi and the board have to take some time and think about what the team once was (historically) and what its future could be. I for one am tired of seeing foreign coaches and foreign players who do not care about the legacy of AEK. Demi, for all his faults clearly loves the team (of course I am not naive of the economic gains) and wants what is best for it, its fans and its future. Now we need coach who knows the league, knows the history AEK, understands what not winning the protathlima for 15 years means, and sincerely wants to see AEK grow beyond his tenure as a coach.

We will never be a team that will spend 40 and 50 million on transfers and personally i am not interested in seeing that. AEK has to have players who bleed and sweat gia tin fanela....maybe i am being a too idealistic but for me that is what AEK should be about. Enough of these foreign papares who come to AEK to retire and drink frappe in a nice country. Papastathopoulos, Kone, Paulis, Lagos, and other young greek palikaria should make up the core of the team....not losers like Manu. With Ferrer i dont think that would ever have happened.

So again, while I agree firing your coach midseason is a huge mistake I am not upset at seeing him go.

there is no way he's getting all of his money....at least not for a long time.

It took Tsiartas a few years to get all his money Ferrer will have to wait if he wants everything.

And besides AEK doesnt have any money to give him right now...he should know all he spoke about was the budget.

Archived