Phantis Forums

Stoltidis and the National team

NikosVazelas

after all the good words and effort by us, INCLUDING ME, wanting to see stoltidis with the national team, he decides to go ,ONLY SO HE WONT FACE SUSPENSION.

this bum. this phony. this once well respected player in the book of nikosvazelas is nothing but a bum.

ASK zikos to go play now, even at 34, and hed go in a heartbeat. he wouldnt have to think about it.

Oh sorry your highness, we didnt mean to interupt ur train of thought, but would you like to be part of the national team. please find time on ur schedule to bless us with ur presence.<

what a joke. i was the first to push for him joining the NT. but now, i hope he stays at OLY. Besides, without ledesma at the NT, stoltidis would prob be a colorless as with oly when ledesma is missing.

i know you had respect for him, but when they interviewed him the other day he was looking forward to the match in kalamaria and didnt care about the NT stuff. he seems devoted to olympiakos. He acts like a bum to people who dont even respect him like otto. can you imagine to just be remembered at 33 to play for your country. you are giving this guy too much of a hard time, who really cares if he makes the NT or not.

although one might understand his motives, on the whole a weak move by stoltidis. he basically acknowledges that otto was right all these years not to pick him and somehow makes a fool of anyone criticising otto by doing so. in any case he would NEVER start ahead of katsouranis or basinas and he probably knows that too.

I totally agree with aekrossoponti. I also don't think Stoltidis deserves a place in the starting 11 because, even if a lot of you may disagree, in my opinion, he is not good enough. If he was really a good player he would play for a European team. We have better players than him. Just look who most of our starting 11 normally play for and you would see my point.

Therefore, Otto proves he was right that he did not call him before and the press got what they wanted so now we can relax and ease the pressure for Otto. As for Stoltides, I wouldn't have done this if I were in his position, but the guy probably got what we deserved at the end.

I am happy that the chapter "Stoltidis" has finally finished for our NT and that we can now focus on the players who actually deserve and can truly make a difference, now and later, to the European Champions squad. Stoltides does not deserve to be a member of that great team. The great looser out of this whole story is finally Stoltides and the big winner is Otto and our NT present and future!

Good to see the new players who want to play and contribute for our team; look forward to see them performing in the upcoming friendlies!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Guest TheLegend

Geok you obviously dont know anything about Greeces players do you. Our mighty team that is so much above the level of stoltidis strugles against moldova and hungary. So all players that dont play in reknown clubs in the world suck? So olympiacos sucks.... pao sucks.... aek sucks...(i know they do:)) Any player who has played as well as him is a bonus. As for you starting this topic calling him a bum because he says hes to old to compete in the CL the Superleague and with the NT you are a being very immature

As I explained to Mr Rehhagel: had I accepted the call-up, I would not have been honest with the players or the fans who want to see me play for Greece," he added in a statement on the Olympiacos website. "I would have been adding international matches to my already heavy schedule with Olympiacos in the domestic league and cup and the UEFA Champions League. I'm no longer at an age where I can perform on all those fronts at the required level. Apart from my gratitude to the fans for their support, I want to assure them that, had this call come earlier in my career, when I was capable of competing on all fronts at a high level, I would have put myself at the disposal of the coach without hesitation."

If he knows he cant compete why try. At least he admits it. Unlike Karagounis who is so burnt out and useless right now... he just never gives up and drags down whatever midfeild we have. How can you call a player a bum because he says he is to old to compete with a national team....very immature

Guest TheLegend

"As I explained to Mr Rehhagel: had I accepted the call-up, I would not have been honest with the players or the fans who want to see me play for Greece," he added in a statement on the Olympiacos website. "I would have been adding international matches to my already heavy schedule with Olympiacos in the domestic league and cup and the UEFA Champions League. I'm no longer at an age where I can perform on all those fronts at the required level. Apart from my gratitude to the fans for their support, I want to assure them that, had this call come earlier in my career, when I was capable of competing on all fronts at a high level, I would have put myself at the disposal of the coach without hesitation."

Summer task

Rehhagel is therefore left with 29 players for this week's games, which include an unofficial friendly against Czech Republic in Nicosia on Tuesday and an official match against Finland the next day. The European champions are in Group D at this summer's final tournament in Austria and Switzerland, facing fixtures against Sweden, Spain and Russia. Olympiacos, meanwhile, play Chelsea FC in the UEFA Champions League first knockout round on 19 February and 5 March.

Guest TheLegend

Stoltidis admits he can not compete in 3 different competitions at his age. Nothing wrong with that. Better than going and not being able to perform as well as he has so far for Greece or for Olympiacos.

Your asking this guy, to play 2 games in 2 days. Then come back and play another game for olympiacos, a tough game they must win(which he will have a huge impact on) and then in a week play CHELSEA in the Champions League round of 16.

A true bum is one who cant admit he has limits and thinks he can do everything. He is honest with himself and honest to everyone. Now lay off, because no player has to do anything you guys want him to do. Of course id love to see him play for Greece especially with our crappy NT midfeild right now....

By the way anyone find it strange that AFTER A MEETING WITH REHAGEL AND AFTER FLYING TO CYPRUS he decides he wont participate?

probably heard that he would not be gauranteed a spot in future games, what do you think he says about his aging body if Otto tells him he would be a lock for EURO , I guarantee he plays vs Czech then

sorry Oly fans, I feel bad for you all, you all begged for him to have his chance and I guess you all assumed he would be greatful and make the most of it, but he has shown his true class with this move

Guest TheLegend

True class? the guy said he cant play anymore. Since when are you all profesionals and play in the CL? and are able to play 3 games practicaly in a week

"As I explained to Mr Rehhagel: had I accepted the call-up, I would not have been honest with the players or the fans who want to see me play for Greece," he added in a statement on the Olympiacos website. "I would have been adding international matches to my already heavy schedule with Olympiacos in the domestic league and cup and the UEFA Champions League. I'm no longer at an age where I can perform on all those fronts at the required level. Apart from my gratitude to the fans for their support, I want to assure them that, had this call come earlier in my career, when I was capable of competing on all fronts at a high level, I would have put myself at the disposal of the coach without hesitation."

Summer task

Rehhagel is therefore left with 29 players for this week's games, which include an unofficial friendly against Czech Republic in Nicosia on Tuesday and an official match against Finland the next day. The European champions are in Group D at this summer's final tournament in Austria and Switzerland, facing fixtures against Sweden, Spain and Russia. Olympiacos, meanwhile, play Chelsea FC in the UEFA Champions League first knockout round on 19 February and 5 March.

that article is missing a reference...

plagarism is a crime

Playing the "age" card is a lame excuse.

He is basically saying that the NT is secondary in his priorities and that he is busy playing games for another team.

I bet the "age" issue was not that important when he was seeking to renew his contract :whistle:

Heck, Gianakopoulos should had quit this "awful NT gig" (that makes old men so tired) long ago.

And Stoltidis should be mad at Kapsis who at a very old age stymied the heavy calvary of a stelar Czech team on his way to a European Championship, because he proved that some old people are better than others.

Guest TheLegend

aek66... Thers gota be more to it than that though if you think that way.

After a meeting with Rehagel while in cyprus for the game he "decided" to not play. Maybe Rehagel and him dont like each other or this rumor of his grudge with topalidis is true and they jsut called him for the fans that wanted him called...Of course hed help our team but you gota learn to ignore the posts of the true bums on this forums that call him a bum and say hes a trash player because only players good enough for the NT play in a "european club" whatever that is?

i used to like stoltidi... but... after this... aparadektos o kirios stoltidis pou thelei kai parakalia gia na foresei tin galanoleuki... egoismoi edo den xorane... exei kialous paixtes i ellada mas!!

""By the way anyone find it strange that AFTER A MEETING WITH REHAGEL AND AFTER FLYING TO CYPRUS he decides he wont participate? """"

seems like an awfully long way to go just to decline.....very suspect....this strongly suggests that otto had him figured out from the very beginning, and I would not doubt if he called him up kowing that stoltidis would decline when his intended role was explained, and to simply shut down all the critics that were insisting that he be called for the NT...

again, otto comes out looking clean as a whistle here.....

The guy is weak. Weak move from someone of weak character. The guy should be aspiring to play for the national team with 1 leg hanging from it’s ligaments not turning down the chance to represent his country. I think a lot of people will be disappointed by his decision. :tdown: :tdown:

Guest TheLegend

""By the way anyone find it strange that AFTER A MEETING WITH REHAGEL AND AFTER FLYING TO CYPRUS he decides he wont participate? """"

seems like an awfully long way to go just to decline.....very suspect....this strongly suggests that otto had him figured out from the very beginning, and I would not doubt if he called him up kowing that stoltidis would decline when his intended role was explained, and to simply shut down all the critics that were insisting that he be called for the NT...

again, otto comes out looking clean as a whistle here.....

Yes it seems strange but according to FastGreek hes selfish bum... Selfish because he DOESNT want to play. Thats a first.

Archived