Phantis Forums

Clint Mathis

pao123

Mathis can definitely help Ergotelis. The question is his quirky character. The kid is a flake.

He's more of a support striker, and can score some impressive goals. When he's on form, he can really be something.

He'll either tear it up at Ergotelis, drive the powers to be at the club crazy, get sent packing, or all of the above.

No need to get crazy over this fellas. Clint Mathis is a decent player and the only reason it seems weird to us is because he's from the US and we dont see that many transfers from US to Greece.

Greek teams constantly sign horrible players from Europe and Africa. This is no different. And its Ergotelis so what's the big deal.

Yup, the only problem with your theory is that the American is better than the overwhelming majority of strikers in Greece.

I think this is a great signing for Ergotelis, but let's not get ridiculous!

Having said that, Omonia9, the MLS is not as bad as many people think. They're are many Americans that could do well in Greece. Mathis could be one of them.

Having said that, Omonia9, the MLS is not as bad as many people think. They're are many Americans that could do well in Greece. Mathis could be one of them.

There are also a lot of players who ply their trade in America that would do well in Greece: Christian Gomez, Luciano Emilio, Angel, Blanco, etc. The MLS gets better each year. That being said, I think people watching football in the U.S. have more to look forward to than the fans watching Greek football unfortunately.

hahahaha i must admit this is funny

clint mathis was playing infront of 80,000 people last month

now he will play infront of 1,300 hahahaha

KALOSTONE TON M..A..L..A..K..A

There are also a lot of players who ply their trade in America that would do well in Greece: Christian Gomez, Luciano Emilio, Angel, Blanco, etc. The MLS gets better each year. That being said, I think people watching football in the U.S. have more to look forward to than the fans watching Greek football unfortunately.
Don't forget Dwayne DeRosario.

Guys, these players you mention are very talented, they're are others too... Eddie Johnson, Donovan, Wolff, and that other big dude that plays up front with De Rosario. They would all do well in Greece. But to suggest that the MLS is better than the Greek league is just ridiculous. You've mentioned a bunch of names here and like I said, they'd do well... but then consider these players were in the MLS:

Rivaldo, Kovacevic, Stoltidis, Dellas, Lybe, Galletti, Djole, Ledesma, Salpi, Goumas, Ninis, N'Doye, Djimbour, Calvo, Koke, Bravo, Eki Gonzalez, Cleyton, etc.

;)

I know that this is somewhat off-topic but Asteras striker Lucio Filomeno had a brief stint in MLS w/ DC United (1 goal in 13 games, it was a mid-season loan deal that never panned out). I wasn't impressed w/ him at all. Now, he's doing a great job at Asteras including goals against OSFP and AEK. MLS isn't the EPL or La Liga, but it's getting better and isn't complete crap like it used to be. I'm also hoping Mathis will be successful not only to keep Ergotelis up, but to prove that MLS and American soccer are quality.

And DUDE, I'm telling you, I personally know more than a few MLS players, have played against several, and have coached a couple also.

File mou, I agree with you, the MLS is much better than alot of people think but it just doesn't compare to Greece. The top Cypriot teams might beat the top American teams. The quality of football is good (i.e. they get the ball down and play proper football) but in terms of effectiveness they just don't cut it. I know LA Galaxy isn't the best of the MLS teams but did you see what happened when they played the Aussie team? Is the Aussie league better than Greece too?

Olympiakos are in the last 16 of the CL, AEK and PAO are in the latter stages of the UEFA Cup, while Aris and Panionios were a whisker away from joining AEK and PAO. Even Larisa played some great stuff and were very unlucky. Do you think MLS teams would even come close to matching this?

Like I said, there are some very good players in the MLS and they play attractive football... I especially enjoy watching Dynamo and Chivas because they play a nice passing game. But the overall quality is not on a par with the Greek league.

The MLS does produce some great goalkeepers though! Friedal (Blackburn), Howard (Everton), Hannaman (Reading), etc.

File mou, I agree with you, the MLS is much better than alot of people think but it just doesn't compare to Greece. The top Cypriot teams might beat the top American teams. The quality of football is good (i.e. they get the ball down and play proper football) but in terms of effectiveness they just don't cut it. I know LA Galaxy isn't the best of the MLS teams but did you see what happened when they played the Aussie team? Is the Aussie league better than Greece too?

Olympiakos are in the last 16 of the CL, AEK and PAO are in the latter stages of the UEFA Cup, while Aris and Panionios were a whisker away from joining AEK and PAO. Even Larisa played some great stuff and were very unlucky. Do you think MLS teams would even come close to matching this?

Like I said, there are some very good players in the MLS and they play attractive football... I especially enjoy watching Dynamo and Chivas because they play a nice passing game. But the overall quality is not on a par with the Greek league.

The MLS does produce some great goalkeepers though! Friedal (Blackburn), Howard (Everton), Hannaman (Reading), etc.

Outside of the top tier Greek teams, the MLS is pretty much even with the rest of the Greek league. In fact, I'd say the bottom tier of teams in the SL are worse than anything I see in the MLS. The MLS is significantly better than the Cypriot league.

Bad example with the Galaxy. #1 because they're on holiday, and #2 because they're not very good, even by MLS standards. They didn't even make the playoffs. And I was at the game where they were eliminated.

Aris and Panionios are probably on par with the better MLS teams like DC United, Houston, and New England. Not Larisa, though. Although Asteras may be better than whats in the MLS. Maybe.

Outside of the top tier Greek teams, the MLS is pretty much even with the rest of the Greek league. In fact, I'd say the bottom tier of teams in the SL are worse than anything I see in the MLS. The MLS is significantly better than the Cypriot league.

Bad example with the Galaxy. #1 because they're on holiday, and #2 because they're not very good, even by MLS standards. They didn't even make the playoffs. And I was at the game where they were eliminated.

Aris and Panionios are probably on par with the better MLS teams like DC United, Houston, and New England. Not Larisa, though. Although Asteras may be better than whats in the MLS. Maybe.

Ela re file, Aris, Panionios, and Larisa would beat any MLS team.

Archived