who will go through?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. who will go through?

• Olympiakos
    • Chelsea

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ouch! Even though I really don't like Chelsea, I think it'd take a miracle for you to advance.

I also think that in 2 months things may be totally different with how teams play...

Good luck.

PS> It's strange that no gavroi are here today, as of now... Of course, Irlandos had fired up his 'puter and started this topic as soon as UEFA drew the pairs. :la:

Ah, it's only a game... Happy Holidays with family & friends (more important, no?)

I'll say this, Olympiakos can knock out Chelsea, no question about it. However, you must keep in mind that Chelsea isn't as good as Man U. First step for us is it get a victory at home, and try to play safe in London with a defensive tactic. More like to play for a 0-0 or 1-1. As long as Drogba is out, we have a good chance. :tup:

I'll say this, Olympiakos can knock out Chelsea, no question about it. However, you must keep in mind that Chelsea isn't as good as Man U. First step for us is it get a victory at home, and try to play safe in London with a defensive tactic. More like to play for a 0-0 or 1-1. As long as Drogba is out, we have a good chance. :tup:

No question about it?

What do you base that on?

The quality of the respective rosters? The respective track records of each team in European competitions? Head to head matchups? The stellar past record of OSFP versus English competition?

Just wondering how there is "no doubt about it"?

If both teams are playing at their peak, Oly has a 10-20% chance, if that.

The fourth best team in the EPL is still head and shoulders above ANYBODY in the SL.

Let me put it to you another way-there isn't a single player of OSFP that would start at Chelsea.

ok guys we talk about Chelsea... be serious now... from england i like man untd and chelsea.. prospatho na min xano paixnidia tous... i would say 80-20%

The first match at Karaiskaki is up for grabs. If, as others have already pointed out, Chelsea is missing crucial first team players, Olympiakos have a huge opportunity to pull a momentous upset. Chelsea's midfield is superb but their attack and defense have yet to impress against formidable sides this season although I do not see them losing at Stamford Bridge. All we can hope for in the second leg is a draw.

Chelsea drew their last CL game against Valencia at Stamford Bridge and as we well know, Olympiakos thumped Werder Bremen 3-0 in Greece. We cannot underestimate momentum. Not to mention the fact that Chelsea will play 12 games before the CL match against Olympiakos. When are the English going to realize that their hectic scheduling adversely affects their chances in European competition.

AGAINST FORMIDABLE SIDES. That's the key word. OSFP is NOT a formidable side, at least by CL standards.

OSFP's strength (midfield) is countered by a midfield is that is in another category altogether (Chelsea). Not to mention that OSFP is painfully slow in the back.

And if you're counting on injuries to Drogba and Terry as your saving grace, well, I wouldn't.

#1. Chelsea's second side could probably beat OSFP.

#2. Drogba will be back by then, and maybe Terry as well.

#3. VERY UNLIKELY Abramaovitch will stand pat during the winter transfer season. There's already talk of Anelka moving to Stamford Bridge.

Just keep in mind that chelsea had a weak CL group and that they have played great against a bad Valencia side which was the second best team in the group according to uefa. Olympiakos has had many suprises this year i wouldnt rule them out just yet guys. Its too early to tell give it a few months and well see how good our form is compared to theirs. ill get back to you guys in a month about the score.

if we all think olympiakos are gonna lose we will be miserable till the game starts a long time from now so just keep some optimism for now that all im sayin

let us also not forget that oly played against a super weak lazio and werder twice. both games with werder could of gone either way.

i am not worried about olys offesive output. i am worried about them defensively. if u look at all the chances they gave up against real and werder, they were mighty lucky to come away with 2 wins and a draw. i am not taking anything awayfrom what they accomplished . i am just stressing what i feel is their biggest weakness.

Avram Grant warned his Chelsea players not to take Olympiakos lightly. The Blues' manager has been impressed with the Greek side this season, especially away from home, and knows the ability of the striker Lomana LuaLua, having worked with the striker at Portsmouth until last summer.

"Olympiakos were fantastic in the group stage - they finished on the same points as Real Madrid and won in Lazio," said Grant. "It will be very difficult against them. We also know there will be a great atmosphere over there. The Greek supporters are fanatical about their team."

LuaLua has scored five goals in 15 appearances this season. "He has always been a player with big potential. He's quick, very good with the ball and can score goals," said Grant, who was director of football at Portsmouth. "He is proving to be a good signing for Olympiakos."

(Source: The Guardian)

LuaLua is proving a good signing for OSFP?

I would say the jury is still out on that one!

He has been a good signing imo. He works very hard and offers alot to the team.

He had a bust up with Lemoni in training though according to Supersport.gr and he's been heavily fined. He's also had problems with Kovacevic... something tells me he isn't happy in Greece and won't be with us come the end of the season.

Does anyone no if micheal ballack is coming back? I no hes been out on a long term injury and hasnt played a game for chelsea this year. Anyone know when hes coming back?n If he is, thats bad news. Hes a good player and it would oviesly be better if he wasnt playing.

let us also not forget that oly played against a super weak lazio and werder twice. both games with werder could of gone either way.

i am not worried about olys offesive output. i am worried about them defensively. if u look at all the chances they gave up against real and werder, they were mighty lucky to come away with 2 wins and a draw. i am not taking anything awayfrom what they accomplished . i am just stressing what i feel is their biggest weakness.

lazio i agree, super weak, but a werder bremen team thats currently tied in first place in germany, i dont think thats weak.

We also gave madrid a good scare with 10 players in the bernabeu, who is also first place in spain/ our group was tough but instead of olympiakos being 4th they should of been 3rd seeding wise

No question about it?

What do you base that on?

The quality of the respective rosters? The respective track records of each team in European competitions? Head to head matchups? The stellar past record of OSFP versus English competition?

Just wondering how there is "no doubt about it"?

If both teams are playing at their peak, Oly has a 10-20% chance, if that.

The fourth best team in the EPL is still head and shoulders above ANYBODY in the SL.

Let me put it to you another way-there isn't a single player of OSFP that would start at Chelsea.

i gotta laugh...a cold dose of reality for the fans of the legends.

i will say - i would prefer torosidis to ben-haim or ferreira, ummm, maybe not belleti..and, at least nikopolidis doesn't have to wear that victoria's secret bra on his head.

olympiakos has nothing to lose...2 months is a long time. i give olympiakos 20/100 chance.

Ben haim yes. Ferreira no.

The games are 2 months away and many things can be different untill then,(injuries,players on form,transfers) but in all honestly Chelsea is a more qualified team with many great players and even their "bench" players are superstars.Olympiakos would have to get really lucky and play 180 minutes of great,almost perfect game to advance.Our bigest chance is the first game that we play at home,a win with a 1-0 or a 2-0(please god) will make for an even field but even then might not be enough.I just hope and i really know that our players will give their best and whatever happens,happens.

Archived