Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

We cannot be disappointed with this draw, We avoided the "big boys." There is no such thing as an easy group in the finals, but there is a level of difficulty we avoided. Good luck to our Palikaria! I cannot wait for next summer!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with Argy 100%. It is a rather good draw, but to use Otto's approach, only after the first 3 games we can know if it was a good draw. The first reaction is that we have a rather good draw, one of which we need to take advantage of. If we win Sweden, I believe we qualify. We need to start with a win.

I am happy with the Russians as the 4th team. I think Turkey will be improved in 6 months and the Polish, despite being loosers have metal, so I am happy that we avoided them.

Spain, perhaps is the strongest of the teams in pot 3, but they are so superficial in the competitions and we already know them, so I definitely do not fear them, given that we will have to play against them in the end and we will know what result we need to qualify. The Swedish were the weakest in pot 2 and of course I am delighted.

What can I say? Otto is one of the most fortunate people in the World and if he continues coaching us, we may even win the World Cup in 2010. I actually believe firmly in this.

We have all the elements there for qualification to the last 8 and this makes me happy. The knockout games will be easy for us, we know how to approach them from our Euro 2008 campaign.

Only one think I need to start to believe: 3 points against Sweden. We can do it.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Im very happy :)

... well not very happy cause weve done nothing yet but satsified.

Its the same group as the euro only we take out sweeden and put out portugal!

That sweeden game is gonna be VERY hard and i can tell you right now that our fate will depend on it.

there was no such thing as a good draw there all good teams in UEFA...

Good draw considering were NOT in Group A (3 teams that absolutley have it out for us, Portugal, Czech and Turkey)

and

we didnt get Italy Romania France which is nightmare....

Sweden is defintily the most important game....we have to win...

A good draw to be sure. I remember waking up this morning and praying that we didn't get Germany or Italy. This draw gives Greece a good chance to advance to the quarterfinals, where we would then face either the winner or runner-up of that "group of death" (depending on whether we win our group or not).

Let's face it, all teams who make it to the finals are reasonably good teams. Sweden will be a huge test but I think we can take them. They just don't seem as dangerous as they did when they had Larsson. Spain is Spain. We'll see which team shows up. They will definitely be a tough opponent but I think a draw is very plausible. I think Russia is probably one of the weaker teams in the tournament and I think we should win this game no question. As everyone has already stated, the first match against Sweden will be pivotal. If we win, I think we'll make it to the quarterfinals but even a draw wouldn't be too bad a result.

Greece has a perfect schedule. Since Spain is the last match and are a heavy favorite for first place, then it would be to Greece's benefit to root for Spain against Sweden and Russia so that the Greece-Spain match will have less meaning for Spain and to push back Sweden and Russia. It also a small advantage that Greece is playing in only one city whereas our opponents will have to do some traveling.

During the draw between Grecece and Holland to determine who would top Groups C and D, respectively, Greece was fortunate to have been atop of Group D. Otherwise, they would have had Italy, France and Romania in Group C and Holland would have had Sweden. Spain and Russia in Group D.

During the draw between Grecece and Holland to determine who would top Groups C and D, respectively, Greece was fortunate to have been atop of Group D. Otherwise, they would have had Italy, France and Romania in Group C and Holland would have had Sweden. Spain and Russia in Group D.

Sound observation, Robin.

Group C is the toughest (at least on paper) so we're lucky to be seeded in Group D.

I checked the UEFA site and couldn't find the next stage. Are the groups matched A & C, B & D with winners of groups playing second place teams?

Group C is the toughest (at least on paper) so we're lucky to be seeded in Group D.

I checked the UEFA site and couldn't find the next stage. Are the groups matched A & C, B & D with winners of groups playing second place teams?

I think the groups are matched A and B, C and D. Winner of each group plays opposing group's runner up.

This means that should Greece make it to the quarterfinals, they will have a VERY tough opponent waiting for them.

Final tournament match schedule 07-29 June 2008

1 07/06 Grp A Switzerland 18:00 Czech Republic Basel

2 07/06 Grp A Portugal 20:45 Turkey Geneva

3 08/06 Grp B Austria 18:00 Croatia Vienna

4 08/06 Grp B Germany 20:45 Poland Klagenfurt

5 09/06 Grp C Romania 18:00 France Zurich

6 09/06 Grp C Netherlands 20:45 Italy Berne

7 10/06 Grp D Spain 18:00 Russia Innsbruck

8 10/06 Grp D Greece 20:45 Sweden Salzburg

9 11/06 Grp A Czech Republic 18:00 Portugal Geneva

10 11/06 Grp A Switzerland 20:45 Turkey Basel

11 12/06 Grp B Croatia 18:00 Germany Klagenfurt

12 12/06 Grp B Austria 20:45 Poland Vienna

13 13/06 Grp C Italy 18:00 Romania Zurich

14 13/06 Grp C Netherlands 20:45 France Berne

15 14/06 Grp D Sweden 18:00 Spain Innsbruck

16 14/06 Grp D Greece 20:45 Russia Salzburg

17 15/06 Grp A Switzerland 20:45 Portugal Basel

18 15/06 Grp A Turkey 20:45 Czech Republic Geneva

19 16/06 Grp B Poland 20:45 Croatia Klagenfurt

20 16/06 Grp B Austria 20:45 Germany Vienna

21 17/06 Grp C Netherlands 20:45 Romania Berne

22 17/06 Grp C France 20:45 Italy Zurich

23 18/06 Grp D Greece 20:45 Spain Salzburg

24 18/06 Grp D Russia 20:45 Sweden Innsbruck

25 19/06 QF Winner Grp A 20:45 Runner-up Grp B Basel

26 20/06 QF Winner Grp B 20:45 Runner-up Grp A Vienna

27 21/06 QF Winner Grp C 20:45 Runner-up Grp D Basel

28 22/06 QF Winner Grp D 20:45 Runner-up Grp C Vienna

29 25/06 SF Winner #25 20:45 Winner #26 Basel

30 26/06 SF Winner #27 20:45 Winner #28 Vienna

31 29/06 F Winner #29 20:45 Winner #30 Vienna

Guys, this is a nightmare draw! If we do get through the group we will face either France, Italy or Holland in the quarters! I wanted an winnable passage to at least the semis. That's when anything can happen. But if we draw Italy for example do you honestly think we can get a result? I'm gutted! :(

ODDS (Bet365)

In RED = To Win Group

In BLUE = To Qualify From Group

GROUP A

Portugal 2.38 1.30

Czech R. 2.88 1.53

Switzerland 5.00 2.25

Turkey 8.00 3.00

GROUP B

Germany 1.55 1.13

Croatia 3.75 1.35

Poland 8.00 3.00

Austria 17.00 4.40

GROUP C

Italy 2.50 1.35

France 2.75 1.40

Holland 3.75 1.85

Romania 13.00 5.00

GROUP D

Spain 1.75 1.13

Greece 4.50 2.10

Sweden 6.00 2.35

Russia 6.50 2.40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Denmark NT coach, Morton Olsen, said in the German magazine, KICKER, that Spain and Greece are the favorites to pass

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greece v Russia

*Dmitri Kirichenko and Dmitri Bulykin were on target inside the opening 17 minutes as the Russians overcame Greece 2-1 in Faro-Loule in 2004. Greece sneaked through, however, and the rest is history.

*The teams qualified together for the 1994 FIFA World Cup from the same group. Greece finished top, and unbeaten, after winning the final qualifier 1-0 against Russia in Athens. It was the first appearance at the competition for both countries.

*In the qualifying tournament for EURO '96™, Russia beat Greece home and away to advance to England at their expense.

Greece v Sweden

*The teams have never met in a UEFA European Championship or FIFA World Cup but they did face each other at the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, Sweden running out 9-0 winners.

*In five friendly meetings since then, Sweden have failed to record a victory. The most recent encounter, on 20 August 2003, brought Greece's first success on Swedish soil as they overcame their hosts 2-1 in Norrkoping.

Greece v Spain

*Greece and Spain drew 1-1 in the 2004 finals, Fernando Morientes opening the scoring for Spain and Angelos Charisteas equalising for Greece.

*The two countries also met in qualifying for that tournament. Each team registered an away victory, with Greece surprisingly topping the group and forcing Spain to qualify via a play-off against Norway.

*Spain won a friendly at the start of this season 3-2 in Salonika thanks to two goals from David Silva, his second coming three minutes into added time.

Our home for the group stage. The artificial pitch will be replaced with real grass for the tournament.

Posted Image

Full name: EM Stadion Wals-Siezenheim

Built: 2003

Opened: 2003

f*ck the groups.....f*ck the draw......bring it on....doesn't matter who.....as long as we do our best, then whatever happens, happens......we can hold our head up high.....all this business of i wish we avoided this or i wish we avoided that, is getting kind of tiresome.....

Guys, this is a nightmare draw! If we do get through the group we will face either France, Italy or Holland in the quarters! I wanted an winnable passage to at least the semis. That's when anything can happen. But if we draw Italy for example do you honestly think we can get a result? I'm gutted! :(

There is a lot to play out before we even can think about getting out of the group, but I do not fear Italy.

This is the same Italy right, the team that beat Australia with a dubious penalty in the last WC? The same Italy that drew at home to Lithuania or who got done 3 - 1 to France or just beat Scotland in the last few seconds?

I fear our Greek mentality and some of the bizarre selections our esteemed manager makes, but Italy I fear NOT if we should ever get as far getting napolitana sauce on our new jerseys.

Why does it seem that everyone is fearing Italy and Croatia....if anything, these two teams are exactly the type of countries we do well against.

Our recent record suggests we are horrible against Brittish/South American and Asian opposition, but we do okay against the Slavs, Scandinavians and continental Europeans barring probably Germany and Netherlands.

We'll all see. I can only say that everyone in our group are extremely happy and fortunate they draw Hellas. SO let's make them look like fools!

Archived