Phantis Forums

Winter Transfers

cyberfish

It's half way through the first round and the transfer season is fast approaching.

Traditionally PAO buys one or two players mid-season, so what do you think our needs are after seeing the team both in Europe and Greece?

A couple of months ago I would have said that we need a forward and a LB, but the latest games have made me reconsider.

OFFENSE: The way Mantzios played against AEK, and the way the other three forwards are scoring we might not need an extra forward to mess up the chemistry. The team scores twice almost every game so offensive production does not seem to be an issue. Tsigas should be back from his injury for the second round so with five forwards we should be set.

MIDFIELD: On the wings we have good skill with Dimoutsos, Ivanschitz, Karagounis, Romero, and Ninis who should be back from injury soon. N'Doye has played occasionally as a RM. Both Seric and Darlas have been used as LM on occasion. The key to our success this year has been owed to the excellent play of Mattos who has found good chemistry with Tziolis. However, behind these two we don't have any DM that can come in to give them a rest. Simao seems like a project there, but we have not seen enough to know if he can be good. Leontiou will miss the season, so I think we need a good DM as a backup.

DEFENSE: Nilsson seems to have established himself as the starter at RB lately and he is really a good player there. From our corp of CBs only Morris has established himself as indispensable. Goumas has been solid, and both Sariegi and Enacahrire have played well in the last games they played. Competition and depth seems good at CB. On the left Seric has become the starter and had some good games (better offensively than defensively), but we could use another good LB to challenge for a starting position. Even though Fyssas can come in and do an admirable job, he does not seem to have gained Peseiro's trust.

GK: Malartz started the season but was replaced lately by Galinovic. Both are excellent goalkeepers, with Galinovic being better on high crosses. The competition is good and neither have made mistakes to cost us yet, so we are set there with Karnezis behind the first two.

INJURIES: In the second half of the season we should see both Ninis and Gonzales challenge for a starting spot in midfield, and Tsigas will provide good depth on offense.

Overall, this year looks like our needs are minimal so I would not be surprised to see us stay with the current roster.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another quality DCM would be nice to cover..simao isnt enough for me...eki coming into the squad may make peseiro think twice about playing two DMC but we will see...we need another one for cover. vyntra is gone in the winter, so we need another right defender for nilsons cover..our left is ok all around, and our attack is stocked..i think we are fine all around, if we didnt pick up anyone i dont think id mind, but a backup dmc and rb(assuming we sell vyntra) would be nice...

I will have do disagree with you about the DM position. Except of Matos and Tziolis we have players like Karagounis who can play the position and Dimoutso is originaly a DM aswell. Simao is a DM also and he showed some good signs on the position. Consider that both Ninis and Gonzales are returning so i doubt we will see 2 DMs in the game in future. If we do though we have plenty of players that can cover the position. In some internal games Peseiro has used Gonzales as a winger already so you see how many players we have in midfield.

Ninis can play OM and winger

Tziolis is imo only DM

Matos is more DM but can play as an playmaker aswell.

Karagounis isnt originaly a winger which you can see in almost every game. when he got the ball he tends to the center. So he can play imo better at central positions like DM or OM.

Gonzales is imo a dekari but Peseiro seems to think him capable of playing winger aswell.

Ivanschitz is a Winger when playing at PAO but a 10ari in his NT.

Dimoutsos plays as a winger but was DM in his former teams.

Simao is a defender originaly but shows talent on DM aswell.

Darlas has been playing all his games after return as a winger aswell.

Seric can play defense and midfield. (imo in both positions not perfect though)

Romero i want judje imo he can go back home.

Pap can also play as a winger if needed.

So IMO we have a full midfield and dont need another DM.

We need someone gooood on Vyntras place for sure.

And a good backup from the youth maybe.what happend to Boutzikos or so?

apparenlty we have had a look at Goran Slavkovski..he is 18 year old striker from inter..i must say, if we get this player, it will be incredible...i dont think we can pull it off but he is one of the hottest young talents today..i have seen and heard of him in several occasions and he is suppose to be a wonderful young player...

I think for the first time in many years PAO has a good collection of players and a coach to forge them into a team. I also think that cohesion is very important to have first and then to establish a nice playing system.

Vyntra (sell the guy already!) I still think is a liability and a player who cannot pass the ball--hence contribute to advancing the play.

Matos is a great player to keep but I think he's gone at the end of the season.

My view is that PAO should build on the current roster while bringing in young talent. No need to have big names yet. Let's win the domestic tittle and have a good euro run first.

To me, above all is to establish a GREAT INTERNAL CULTURE in the club. Pesseiro seems to have found a way to do this. But, of course it'll take time to change a company's mentality--as we all know from our work place. Right? Oh, and before we all get too excited, Tzigger can quickly screw things up by being petty.... :whistle: [yes, the owner can set the tone in the clubhouse]

I think it's another name floated by managers. PAO has been buying players that we never read about in the papers until the deal is done. That's good business.

Check out the names that were floated as possible PAO transfers this past summer:

Skaloni, Bobic, Pertic, Andriano, Ibson, Joao Alves, Richardo Sousa, Martins, Bealio, Pablo Ledesma, Lucas Barios, Marincovic, Protigio, Davide, Zaime, Richardo Costa, Moreto, Nicola Sancez, Xavier Alexandro, Dario Vitanists, Herman Denis, Manuel Tores, Marios Nicolae, Felipe Teisera Adreade, Adres Madrid, Tsirilo, Postiga, Hirsing, Beto, Markos, Marsinio ... and that does not include all the Greek players ... :blink:

IF Kara & Fyssas returned, Kyriakos & Basinas can too. As you said, they could fit nicely in the squad. Although, I don't see Kyriakos coming back.

Is Herta still interested in Vyntra????!!!

You never know what can happen with Kiriakos.

As for Hertha and Vyntra various reports state that probably Hertha is going to make a new offer which is probably lower than the one in summer but they still are interested.

IF Kara & Fyssas returned, Kyriakos & Basinas can too. As you said, they could fit nicely in the squad. Although, I don't see Kyriakos coming back. 

Is Herta still interested in Vyntra????!!!

You never know what can happen with Kiriakos.

As for Hertha and Vyntra various reports state that probably Hertha is going to make a new offer which is probably lower than the one in summer but they still are interested.

kyriakos will sign another contract with frankfurt and if he doesnt, he will sign with stuttgart...i dont think he will come bakc..basinas maybe..but i think he may be more interested in signing with aek..

No, he shouldn't come. Too many upfront. Even with a nice rotation we have enough power. And, the players should have a REALISTIC chance of getting action time. This way you keep them sharp and interested.

I really don't think we should get anyone now/Jan. See who stays after the season, evaluate our performance THEN. Pesseiro is right when he says the smartest "transfers" should come from within... :tup:

My thinking is this: we're building a core of players for the team. Let them gel more. By now, everyone should be getting on the same page. Don't disturb the chemistry. First, we have to shoot for the domestic title, let the team grow and establish itself.

OK, now back to speculation and what about this player, or him, or.... :D [tis the topic after all]

Archived