Phantis Forums

Greek Channels coming soon to Canada via IPTV

Just got word,

Ethnic Channels Group has launched an IPTV service called NEXTV that will feature exclusively ethnic channels. They currently only offer a German packge but wil be adding many more channels including a Greek package with up to 7 channels!

I do not have a complete list of channels, from the info I got, they only mentioned MEGA Cosmos, ANT1 & Alpha. I am assuming ERT World will be there as well, or at least it better be. The Greek package is expected to launch in a month or so but as we saw with the launch of MEGA, launch dates can change and probably will.

For those not familiar with IPTV, you will need to have high-speed Internet service, with at least 1.5 Mbps. You will be able to watch the channels on your TV via set-top box that you will get from NexTV.

One thing I would like to know is whether these channels will be the same as folks in the U.S. recieve or CDN versions like OTN?! I believe that Internet broadcasting is not yet regulated in Canada so it possible they could offer the actual channels as opposed to Canadian versions that have CDN content.

For more info check out their website, which will be updated as more channels are added: NEXTV

Finally something promising for us Canucks, this will probably be the only way to get more Greek channels in Canada.

:gr:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HellasHab,

How are they going get Antenna and ERT if Maniatakos holds the rights to broadcasts them in Canada. Most probably he is going to cry all the way to the CRTC's offices complain that he is loosing revenues from canceled subscriptions. :LOL:

If it's Canadian free content I am in :tup:

HellasHab,

How are they going get Antenna and ERT if Maniatakos holds the rights to broadcasts them in Canada. Most probably he is going to cry all the way to the CRTC's offices complain that he is loosing revenues from canceled subscriptions. :LOL:

If it's Canadian free content I am in :tup:

Do we know what rights he owns?

I mean maybe it doesn't cover streaming from the Internet.

Do we know what rights he owns?

I mean maybe it doesn't cover streaming from the Internet.

He does own them all right

Looks like a good service but my only problem with it is if it's direct from Greece I don't want to end up watching Greek telemarketing at 8 :00 pm

n addition, ShifTV carries religious and specialty alternative channels such as Sky Angel from the U.S. Through ShifTV, Sky Angel is now able to serve Canada, wherein resides the world

Good question OFHMAN,

I had the exact same thought when they told me ANT1 would be one of the channels but as Grk101 pointed out he may not have the rights for broadcasting online. I don't think Maniatakos is smart enough to have purchased the rights for online streaming. :D :LOL: This of course is good for us, who won't have to watch his channels but will get the 'real thing'. :tup:

I think most of the subs that OTN has are from the older generation, parents and grandparents so I don't think he figures that they would watch TV through the Internet let alone know what the Internet is but if these channels are direct from Greece and not CDN versions then he's got a nice big surprise coming his way when this service launches. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Apparently NexTV will not be launching a Greek package until the new year sometime, not sure why the delay?! I assume it may have something to do with rights issues, they probably haven't secured the rights to any other channels aside from MEGA Cosmos. This sucks I was hoping this thing would be up by Christmas, so I could try it out and see if it is any good. :tdown:

From what I gather, the channels they will be offering will be the International versions (what we currently get in North America & Australia) BUT without any CDN content :tup: This is just speculation on my part and may or may not be true.

On another note, it appears ECG has finally hired a Greek person, its about time! So we now have someone to address our concerns to about MEGA Cosmos or the supposed channels lauching through NexTV. Here is the contact info I found: [email protected]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got this email from them....

we plan to launch Greek in the first 2 months of the New Year... We will ahve MEGA. ALPHA, ALTER, SKY and are in final stages with Antenna... Stay tunes we will keep you updated

Very interesting,

I was told early 2008, so it looks like maybe that info was true and this thing will actually be happening. The lineup looks good but where is ERT World?? That is a deal breaker for me, without ERT I don't think I am interested in subscribing. I hope they are working on a deal with ERT World, its the best of the bunch IMO with their news coverage, cultural shows and most importantly Soccer!!

One other issue I can see is the fact that they will probably only offer one big package with all the channels, which is what they are doing with their Russian package. If someone is only interested in 2 or 3 channels then it looks like they may be out of luck- that sucks! :tdown:

Gyros, regarding your previous post, I am not sure if this will be available North America wide. I believe it is only for Canada but I could be mistaken. It all depends on what rights they have- North American rights or Canada-only rights?!

I wonder how many will subscribe to this, I don't see alot of the parents/grandparents going for this since you need to have broadband Internet and if they currently don't have Internet service then this becomes a very expensive service.

I have no idea about prices but looking at their other packages they are asking $20-30 for a wide array of channels and dishnetwork charges $15 for 1 channel.

The broadband might be a problem for some. If I can get 8 channels for $30, why even keep ant/ert which costs me $35 month?? It doesn't make sense. The channels are for north america. They sell these to the US too.

If you have broadband and they have a decent picture, why would anybody not get this package? Its too good to pass up.

Yeah if they are all straight from Greece then it will only be beneficial to people like my grandpa that is retired and sits around all day...

The rest of us suckers that have to work will come home to overnight infomericals.

The rest of us suckers that have to work will come home to overnight infomericals.

And "X-Rated" shows. :LOL:

Does anyone know if the rest of the channels they currently offer are direct or not? I got a feeling since they mentioned SKY that they will be direct. But who knows. Maybe some will be North American versions with some direct that like SKY since they dont have a North American version.

I don't think these channels will be the local versions from Greece, except for Skai. The rest will be the international versions that are currently available abroad. So for example: MEGA Cosmos not Mega TV, ANT1 Satellite not ANT1, etc.

If you look at the other packages they currently offer, they have a mix of local channels and international channels. The Ukrainian package has Inter+ which is the international channel not the local channel available in the Ukraine. Same with German package and ProSiebenSat.1 Welt. That is my take on it but once things become official I think you could inquire about what channels we will be getting. Personally I don't think it makes sense to broadcast the channels they watch in Greece because of the time difference, which you mentioned.

I was originally told that they were aiming for a package of 7 channels, so according to your info Gyros they have mentioned 5, which still leaves two. ERT World may be a problem since ERT offers a free stream of ERT World on the net. Time will tell, hopefully before this actually launches they will have secured the rights for ERT World- I hope

• 4 weeks later...

GREEK IPTV COMING SOON - 2008!!

View updates at: www.getnextv.com

Email Inquiries: [email protected]

Wow 2008, well that narrows it down for us :LOL:

Care to give people some more info because the website you are linking us to has no information on any Greek packages and has not been updated since it launched. Why have a website if you never update it?!

This is pretty much a waste of a post IMO since it doesn't really say anything ;)

I e-mailed them and this the reply i got guys

As for official channel offerings and package details, that has not been disclosed. At least 4 channels will be included in a package (including MEGA Cosmos). ALL of these are done LEGALLY, hence the reason for the delay. Until then, a specific release date hasn't been stated, but will be comming soon.

Costs for the package would be set up as follows:

Set-Top-Box Purchase

Subscription (Monthly)

System Access Fee (Monthly)

Initial One-Time Activation Fee (upon purchase)

STB Rental Fee (Monthly - if STB is not purchased)

* A discount is provided off of STB purchase for 3, 6 or 12 month subsciption contract (discount varies with option chosen).

When more information is released, you will be notified.

Regards,

NexTV

Interesting response you got theire desilla, kinda vague but these guys specialize in vague responses, look at the pointless info that was posted above.

I wonder why they won't disclose the channels they will be offering when according to Gyros post above, they actually gave him a list of channels they will be offering?! Looks like if 10 people contact them they will get 10 different responses ;)

What's what will all these damn fees, looks like cable/satellite to me. what the hell is a system access fee??

Since there doing it the Legal way everything wonder if they will get around to shutting the other Illegally IPTV services..... LOL ? :ph34r:

The fees would be the same as a regualer cable/satellite tv service just the delivery method there using it IPTV instead of conventional cable/satellite....

Archived