Phantis Forums

Greek clubs

Euro2004

I'm new to this site and pretty new to Greek football too. I'm of Greek origin though and want to know more about the clubs. Is it like Cyprus where you have right wing clubs and left wing clubs? In Cyprus, evey club except Paphos (who merged from a right wing and left club into one) is poilitically affiliated. If not officially, is it the case unofficially in Greece?

For example, I know Olympiakos is a club of the left and Panatha is a right wing club, (or working-class and middle-class ). How about the rest? Why are PAOK nicknamed "Bulgarians" and why were they shouting anti Greek slogans in the game versus Spain? Are they ultra-left? Does that mean that their rivals Aris are right wing?

I would really like to know the political affiliation of each club, if someone could be nice enough to tell me. Thanks.

usually, pao fans are ND and oly fans are pasok. but to what extent.. im not sure... religion, poiltics and sports should never be mixed. unless ur the pope...

Thank you for responding but thats not what I meant. I dont mean what clubs are affiliated with what party, because there is more than 1 left or right party in greece isnt there? i know olympiakos and panatha are left and right mainly but how about paok, aris, larisa, aek, etc. i have never seen a greek flag at a paok game and when greece where playing there they were chanting paok chants and some anti greek songs, why? also why are they called bulgarians by other fans? is it because they are from the north and close to bulgaria or do they actually have a large bulgarian following? like anfita or whatever they're called are sometimes branded albanians because they have many albanian members. in cyprus for example, omomia are nicknamed homoniaspor by their right wing rivals because they are not pro-greek while ael take alot of che guevara flags to the games. on the other hand you have apollona fans taking greek flags so it's clear who is left and who is right. but in greece i get confused because in the larissa versus blackburn game i saw greek flags and che flags which seemed to contradict eachother.

i would really love to know to get to learn more about the ins and outs of the greek league. thank you.

• 2 months later...

...but in greece i get confused because in the larissa versus blackburn game i saw greek flags and che flags which seemed to contradict eachother.

i would really love to know to get to learn more about the ins and outs of the greek league. thank you.

I think that's very simplistic to assume that if a match played in Europe and fans take Greek flags they should be considered ultra-nationalistic.

I have a Greek flag and a Che flag in my house and I am a proud Hellene and have left leaning and liberal views.

To be proud of you heritage and ancestral people doesn't make one a Neo nazi fascist!

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting topic for conversation. To be honest though I think that

nowdays such affiliations are not very significant. In the past these affiliations were

much more obvious when Olympiakos represented the working class of the port of

Piraeus, whereas Panathinaikos represented the bourgeoisie of the city of Athens...I

believe that today most clubs are multi-collective (if such word exist in english). Past

affiliations are still apparent but they are not the norm...

• 8 months later...

I don't know. but in Cyprus, it goes like this. Omonoia(my club) is a leftist club. Some Omonoiates are also commies, but this is a small percentage. Omonoia prides itself of being the common-man team, and is supported by over a third of the population. Omonoia is also strongly against enosis. APOEL is the right-wing club in the same building. A fan of APOEL is known as an APOELista. These people are typically more well-to-do. Previously, the club was a large supporter of enosis, but in recent years, Cypriot patriotism is a little easier to find with them. Anorthosis is also a right-wing club. Though they support enosis, via their logo, the common concern of Anorthosis supporters is to return to Famagusta, in the kataxomena. Paralimni and both Limassol teams are also right-wing. Alki and Nea Salamina are other left wing clubs. Though there are more right wing clubs than leftwing clubs, it balances out at the massive size of Omonoia's following.

Archived