Phantis Forums

Chicago Sun Times Article

Grigoris

Did anybody read the recent Chicago Sun Times article entitled "Shades of 1984: Athens 'Safe.'" (Phantis still, as of December 19, provides a link to this article on its home page.) I could not resist sending an email to the journalist responsible for the article, as well as to the editor. I'm just curious if anyone had a similar reaction. Anyway, following is the text of my email:

I recently read your article entitled "Shades of 1984: Athens Safe" and am somewhat confused by its purpose. The subject matter is actually an interesting issue -- safety at the 2004 Olympics, in light of 9-11, the U.S. invasions of both Afghanistan and Iraq, and Greece's geographic location. Throw into the mix the recently concluded trial of numerous members of the November 17 organization, as well as the reasons behind the "anti-American sentiment" in Greece to which you refer in your article, and you have a fascinating situation that can hardly be covered properly in a series of articles, let alone one single article. However, you have made the attempt, which leads me back to my initial question -- the purpose.

Your title, and the various snippets of which your article is largely comprised, give the reader the impression that Greece is impinging on the personal freedoms of its citizens, ala Orwell's 1984. (The title, with the cutesy 'safe' in quotations, does this by itself). Yet the only evidence you can point to is the Patriot Act (an American implementation and an international embarrassment), some inapplicable facts pertaining to visitors in London, and your personal experience at the Sidney and Salt Lake City Olympics (the Salt Lake City Olympics, of course, is another source of embarrassment, as were the games in Atlanta, but that is another issue). You have failed to mention a single item that the Greek government, or the Athens 2004 Olympic committee, has done that violates the freedom of its citizens or the numerous visitors expected to be present next August during the games. Instead, you throw out blanket derogatory statements as if you were "Zeus sitting atop Mount Olympus." By the way, let's stop with the mundane references to ancient Greek mythology. The Sisyphus reference is not only misplaced -- if you're going to use the reference PLEASE make sure it really applies -- it is embarrassing. Greece, while proud of its past, as it should be, is much more than Euripides, Aristotle and the rest -- it is a country that, despite obstacles inherent in its geographic location, has a strong present, and a bright future as well. As merely one example, and In case you were not aware, Greece is indeed a part of the European Union and, in fact, Greece's prime minister, Costas Simitis, recently concluded a highly successful term as president of the EU. Not bad for a country the size of Alabama.

Unfortunately, your blanket and hollow accusations are also accompanied by just a tinge of good ol' fashioned arrogance. Your statement: "and if the United States does not believe the place [Greece] is safe for its athletes and sports officials and journalists and tourists and allies in just seven months, Greece has a big-time problem" is frankly, sickening. The world is more than just the U.S. and its allies, as is the Olympics. The purpose of the Olympics aside (again, please study your history), Greece is committed to hosting a safe Olympics for all people of all nations, not just yours and the ones your government has labeled "favored." And yes, this does include athletes from Iraq and Afghanistan, whether they compete under the flag of their respective countries or under an independent one created by the International Olympic Committee.

You conclude your article by stating that "after next summer's Olympics, it seems certain we will have lost one more sliver of our freedom."* However, you again provide no support for this statement, just as you have failed to do for numerous other statements throughout your article. (e.g., "The November 17 terrorists had seemingly acted with impunity for 27 years in Greece, and then, boom, they became history. Why?" In this instance you even pose the question, yet you still fail to provide an answer.) Instead, you subject your reader to blanket statements that are either untrue, misleading, defamatory, derogatory, ignorant, or some combination thereof. Why?

[*In actuality, you conclude your article with another statement that is both embarrassing and offensive, something about George Orwell babbling in Greek. As with the misplaced mythology references, the "it's all Greek to me" comments are not as witty as you might think. Rather, they are simply an indication of ignorance and laziness.]

Finally, with your references to George Orwell and 1984, I would like to pose a question to you: how long ago was it that the U.S. supported Afghanistan? Iraq? Iran? The U.S. seems to change its allies, and enemies for that matter, as we say in Greek, "as often as it changes its shirt." Sounds like 1984 to me.

For those who want to read the article, here is the link:

Shades of 1984: Athens Safe?

The author of the article is Rick Telander, who is a sports writer for the Chicago Sun-Times, and a very good one in my opinion. However he should not be writing about things that are political in nature. He should just stick to covering sport issues.

Grigori, I agree with most of the contents of your e-mail to Sun-Times.

Thank you for your replies. I agree with Ziaka in that sports journalists generally should not delve into the world of politcs. However, when they do, they should be sure of their facts and present the issue in an objective fashion. Unfortunately, Mr. Telander did neither in this instance. As a result, the average reader's opinion of Athens, the Olympics and Greece will now be improperly and unfairly influenced by his words.

Archived