Phantis Forums

Five wins a record for Greek teams

plato-ny

This has got to be the brightest day in Greek football history, this is a moral boost for our country and our coefficent points! ! ! :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr:

All 5 Greek clubs has won there first leg ties, 4 of them clean sheets! :tup: Here are the results in case you might have missed:

Aris Thessaloniki 1:0 Real Zaragoza

Artmedia 1:2 Panathinaikos

Sochuax 0:2 Panionios :blink:

Larissa 2:0 Blackburn Rovers :blink:

AEK Athens 3:0 Red Bull Salzburg

Hopefully we can have all 5 Greek clubs enter the group stage after the second leg, who thinks they can do it? :)

HEADLINE OF THE DAY!

Greek clubs share in glee

AEK Athens FC 3-0 FC Salzburg

AEK have one foot in the group stage after overwhelming ten-man Salzburg in the Greek capital. Geraldo set them on course as early as the third minute when he headed in Rivaldo's corner, and provider turned scorer just before the hour as Rivaldo applied a stunning finish after an excellent exchange between Nikolaos Lyberopoulos and Daniel Tozser. Salzburg had substitute Jorge Vargas dismissed with 19 minutes remaining and Panagiotis Kone (82) compounded their misery.

FC Sochaux-Montbeliard 0-2 Panionios NFC

The struggling Ligue 1 side, who have yet to win this season, continued their poor start to the campaign with a defeat to the side sitting ninth in the Greek top-flight. Panionios's first goal came from Algerian AJ Auxerre academy product Rafik Djebbour with a strike that deflected past goalkeeper Teddy Richert. While Sochaux tried to level, Dario Fernandez doubled the margin just before the hour mark, scoring from a corner kick. The result was especially sweet for Panionios, having lost at Sochaux in the UEFA Cup group stage in December 2005.

Larissa FC 2-0 Blackburn Rovers FC

Larissa marked their return to European competition after a 19-year absence with a comfortable victory against Blackburn before 13,000 fans at the Panthessaliko Stadium in Volos. The Greek side, coached by former Rovers midfielder Georgios Donis, took the lead on 33 minutes thanks to Ibrahima Bakayoko's powerful long-range strike and, within 60 seconds, were two up as Cleyton finished with his left foot. Goalkeeper Brad Friedel had saved Nektarios Alexandrou's shot but Georgios Fotakis was first to the rebound and he teed up Cleyton to score.

Aris Thessaloniki FC 1-0 Real Zaragoza

Aris completed a perfect night for Greek clubs in the UEFA Cup by recording a hard-fought victory against Real Zaragoza before a sell-out Kleanthis Vikelidis Stadium in Thessaloniki. The home side took an early lead on seven minutes when Avraam Papadopoulos headed in Toni Calvo's free-kick from close range. Zaragoza almost equalised just before half-time when Ricardo Oliveira's shot hit the left post and the Primera Division side created further chances in the second period. However, Aris held out in Dušan Bajević's first match in charge.

FC Artmedia Petržalka 1-2 Panathinaikos FC

Artmedia surrendered a one-goal advantage and finished with ten men as Panathinaikos seized the initiative in Slovakia. The hosts opened the scoring through Juraj Halenar two minutes after half-time, only for Dimitris Papadopoulos to level matters from the penalty spot shortly after the hour. In a frantic finish, Dame N'Doye handed the Greek giants the lead and Balasz Borbely was sent off as the evening turned sour for Artmedia.

• 2 weeks later...

Greece is still 17th but can pass the other countries above them:

http://www.sport-fm.gr/news.jsp?newsID=104011

Where the UEFA Cup Greek teams stand in strength of groups:

http://www.sport-fm.gr/news.jsp?newsID=104012

The golden road goals for Aris and Larisa that passed them on:

Larisa: http://www.goal4replay.net/GoalWatch.asp?ID=2983&Ln=En

Aris: http://www.goal4replay.net/GoalWatch.asp?ID=2989&Ln=En

Overall performance by country after this UEFA Cup round...

Greece (5 qualified / 0 eliminated)

Germany (4 OK / 0 KO)

Russia (3 OK / 0 KO)

Spain (3 OK / 1 KO)

England (3 OK / 1 KO)

France (3 OK / 2 KO)

Czech Republic (2 OK / 0 KO)

Switzerland (2 OK / 1 KO)

Denmark (2 OK / 2 KO)

Sweden (2 OK / 3 KO)

Scotland (1 OK / 0 KO)

Serbia (1 OK / 0 KO)

Croatia (1 OK / 0 KO)

Israel (1 OK / 0 KO)

Norway (1 OK / 1 KO)

Turkey (1 OK / 1 KO)

Belgium (1 OK / 2 KO)

Austria (1 OK / 2 KO)

Italy (1 OK / 3 KO)

Portugal (1 OK / 3 KO)

Holland (1 OK / 4 KO)

Finland (0 OK / 1 KO)

Cyprus (0 OK / 1 KO)

FYROM (0 OK / 1 KO)

Belarus (0 OK / 1 KO)

Bosnia Herzegovina (0 OK / 1 KO)

Poland (0 OK / 1 KO)

Ukraine (0 OK / 2 KO)

Romania (0 OK / 2 KO)

Bulgaria (0 OK / 3 KO)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group stage (40 teams)

Pot 1 coef.

------------------------ --- -------

Villarreal Esp 78.374

Bayern Munich Ger 73.640

AZ Alkmaar Ned 63.995

Panathinaikos Gre 55.415

FC Basel Sui 54.869

Girondins Bordeaux Fra 49.706

Bayer Leverkusen Ger 45.640

Anderlecht Bel 41.594

Pot 2 coef.

Tottenham Hotspur Eng 40.618

Lokomotiv Moscow Rus 38.920

Zenit St. Petersburg Rus 38.920

Sparta Praha Cze 37.851

AEK Athens Gre 36.415

Hamburger SV Ger 34.640

Bolton Wanderers Eng 32.618

Austria Wien Aut 30.104

Pot 3 coef.

Sporting Braga Por 27.107

Galatasaray Tur 26.791

Atletico Madrid Esp 25.374

Getafe Esp 25.374

Everton Eng 24.618

Fiorentina Ita 21.808

Stade Rennais Fra 20.706

Pot 4 coef.

Hapoel Tel-Aviv Isr 19.338

Red Star Belgrade Srb 19.256

FC Kobenhavn Den 19.129

Toulouse FC Fra 17.706

Dinamo Zagreb Cro 17.533

Panionios Gre 16.415

FC Nuernberg Ger 14.640

Mlada Boleslav Cze 13.851

Pot 5 coef.

Aris Thessaloniki Gre 13.415

Aberdeen Sco 11.064

FC Zuerich Sui 9.869

AE Larissa Gre 8.415

AaB Aalborg Den 7.129

SK Brann Bergen Nor 6.509

IF Elfsborg Swe 4.478

Helsingborg IF Swe 3.478

Group stage (40 teams)

Let's compare what's comparable, shall we?

I don't want to minimize what the Greek teams have done in the UEFA cup but with only 1 club in the Champion's League - Olympiakos - which will end up in UEFA anyway, the figures are not the same.

As an example, England have lost one team (Blackburn) which started in the Intertoto Cup. We still have 3 teams in the cup BUT 4 team in the Champion's League.

Italy have most club out of the UEFA cup but it is well-known that the Italians don't pay much attention to the UEFA cup.

Let's compare what's comparable, shall we?

I don't want to minimize what the Greek teams have done in the UEFA cup but with only 1 club in the Champion's League - Olympiakos - which will end up in UEFA anyway, the figures are not the same.

As an example, England have lost one team (Blackburn) which started in the Intertoto Cup. We still have 3 teams in the cup BUT 4 team in the Champion's League.

Italy have most club out of the UEFA cup but it is well-known that the Italians don't pay much attention to the UEFA cup.

:LOL: I love the excuses!! Yes, let us put it into perspective... Blackburn spent more last season than Larissa have spent in total in their history!! Last year Larissa avoided relegation from the Greek league by 1 point whereas Blackburn are considered by many to be the strongest Prem club outside the top 4.

Liverpool have spent more on Torres than Porto & Marseille have spent together in their last 3 seasons combined and yet they sit in 3rd spot with 1 point.

Let's not even discuss Chelsea's spending and their 1-1 draw at home with Rosenberg.

I admit that the Prem is the best league in the world at the moment, but don't try and undermine the acheivements of the Greek league's clubs so far. We've easily had the most impressive start to the European season (along with possibly Scotland), just set your English arrogance/pride aside for a second and congratulate us.

:LOL: I love the excuses!! Yes, let us put it into perspective... Blackburn spent more last season than Larissa have spent in total in their history!! Last year Larissa avoided relegation from the Greek league by 1 point whereas Blackburn are considered by many to be the strongest Prem club outside the top 4.

Liverpool have spent more on Torres than Porto & Marseille have spent together in their last 3 seasons combined and yet they sit in 3rd spot with 1 point.

Let's not even discuss Chelsea's spending and their 1-1 draw at home with Rosenberg.

I admit that the Prem is the best league in the world at the moment, but don't try and undermine the acheivements of the Greek league's clubs so far. We've easily had the most impressive start to the European season (along with possibly Scotland), just set your English arrogance/pride aside for a second and congratulate us.

I'm not making excuses. I'm a Man U and I don't give a toss about Blackburn.

I would love to see an English team winning the UEFA but that's it.

Larissa deserved to win, I totally agree. What I'm saying is that England has got 4 clubs in the CL doing alright and have only lost one team in the UEFA cup - which is a minor cup.

As I said, the clubs have done "alright".

My point is that Greece should worry that their clubs can not compete in the CL and are happy to be through the UEFA cup.

At the end of the day, how many Greek teams will pass the group stage? The quarter finals? none.

I think that Spain is above the Premier League. Teams like Derby are a bit of a joke.

As I said, if you're happy some good results in the UEFA, then fine. All I'm saying is that I am worried for the overall level once we're talking about the CL.

At the end of the day, how many Greek teams will pass the group stage? The quarter finals? none.

You really think none will pass the group stages? :blink: AEK and PAO will be among the favs to qualify. Aris are dangerous at home and can cause a couple of upsets while Panionios & AEL have already surpassed expectation so they will probably go out. Having said that, Aris & AEL won't face many teams in this comp stronger than Blackburn & Zaragoza so why not be optimistic?

I think that Spain is above the Premier League. Teams like Derby are a bit of a joke.

Last year 3 of the 4 semi-finalists in the CL were English, the year before the other big English team (Arsenal) went to the final. Those big 4 are complimented by teams like Spurs, Blackburn, Man City & Portsmouth who have real quality. Yes Derby are s%$#! but they are THE worst team in the league. I really rate the Premiership.

As I said, if you're happy some good results in the UEFA, then fine. All I'm saying is that I am worried for the overall level once we're talking about the CL.

We should always have 2 teams in the CL, but AEK were unlucky enough to draw Sevilla, these things happen in football. The only way we can get enough points to start having 2 automatic entries into the CL and 1 in the qualifying phases is if we consistently get resluts like the ones we've been getting. So why shouldn't we enjoy it. Zaragoza have players like Pablo Aimar, Ayala, Milito, D'Allesandro, & Matuzalem. They are top class, the first 3 in particular are world class players and an up and coming Greek side KO'd them. Blackburn have Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Bentley, Friedal, etc. and a team which barely survived last year KO'd them. Why shouldn't we enjoy these wins? Yes, there is a long way to go back at least we're moving in the right direction. I know it might be hard for you to understand because you support a legendary club and a great national team, but any success we get doesn't come from buying world class players. We fight for everything. Our fans sing til their vocal cords collapse just so we can give our players that extra bit of energy, so when we acheive something we feel a tremendous wave of pride. This could be the start of something great for us.

Archived