Phantis Forums

Toumba Stadium

Ziaka

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rumors are that the President of the Republic signed the decree for the new Toumba Stadium. Team officials say that they have not seen any official paperwork yet. Once they receive it PAOK will inform the fans on the future steps towards building the new stadium.

The government officially gave the green light for the New Toumba Stadium.

The project now enters the next phase with PAE PAOK starting the design and construction phase.

Some rumors have the US based company Populous as the company that will take on the design and construction.

If things go as planned, the demolition of Toumba is expected to start in the summer of 2023.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:46 AM, Blackhawk said:

The government officially gave the green light for the New Toumba Stadium.

The project now enters the next phase with PAE PAOK starting the design and construction phase.

Some rumors have the US based company Populous as the company that will take on the design and construction.

If things go as planned, the demolition of Toumba is expected to start in the summer of 2023.

Populous do not do construction

Press conference tomorrow on PAOKTV: https://inpaok.com/733812/paok-xekina-o-schediasmos-tis-neas-toubas/

I guess these guys are the actual construction company: https://www.salfo.gr/

Hopefully they don't bring a few Athenians up to bury cursed objects under our goals (which I can swear I've read about in the NFL haha)

• Like it 1

Speaking of uncovering buried objects, what are the chances of them uncovering fossils and ancient artefacts under Toumba (which is almost the norm in Greece when they dig) do we expect these to cause potential delays? Or will we have the archaeologists on the take and get them to look the other way so we can get the stadium built? 

• Like it 1

I would be surprised if nothing is found. That area has been inhabited since the bronze age. And the eponymous "tell" that is being excavated is literally 4-5 blocks from the stadium. Hopefully there is a plan in place to secure whatever material is found, and properly display it (perhaps as a WELL-DEFENDED museum on the stadium's grounds?)...

Let's not forget that in 2004 they completely rebuilt gates 1,2 and 3 and they did not find anything during excavations. But than again the government was funding the constructions as part of the 2004 Olympics, so things could have been swept under the carpet.

• Like it 1

It was mentioned years ago but I don't have confirmation. I guess we'll see soon. But it would be hard to fit more people with the current height restrictions otherwise!

I would assume the # quoted above was just George Savvidis taking a guess as an homage to the club's founding.

1 hour ago, Athens4 said:

So are they sinking the pitch to add more seats? Also will the capacity be 41,926?

That is the way how Camp Nou of Barça is built/constructed.

Would be nice if we could find a way to have the magic nummer of 1,926 fit in the plans. 31,926 ain't bad either as most games aren't sold out. Only for the games that would attract 100K (fiesta, QF ECL etc) we would need that 41,926. Don't like empty stadiums. We've seen it this year with max 8K in old Toumba. Looks bad.

• Like it 2

It was mentioned today during the presentation that the minimum capacity will be 35,000. The final capacity will be determined during the design stage.

The two companies designing the project are the Greek based Salfo. Salfo will be responsible for the master plan, which includes the stadium surrounding areas and US based Popoulos, which will be responsible for the stadium only.  

• Like it 2