Phantis Forums

Toumba Stadium

Ziaka

If Savvidis doesn't manage to build a new stadium, then we'll never have a new stadium. That's a good enough reason to have a new stadium.

By the way, do you guys remember before Savvidis' era came how much we had to spend every year for the stadium? Renovations and improvements cost us almost a million euros every now and then. I'm sure Savvidis' spends even more, they just go unnoticed. And the older it gets the more problems, more repairs etc...

I hope a new stadium will help us get new fans. Or have PAOK fans who never go to the stadium, start doing it. I would love for PAOK to become a bigger part of people's life.

I also would like the stadium to be such an astonishing building that will eventually attract more tourists. Not that there many tourists in Thessaloniki, but those who come will go to Leuko Pirgo, Kastra, Paralia, Kamara, etc, and at the TOUMBA STADIUM!

And if we go from 28,700 to 40,000 that's quite significant banana.

I can keep going, but one last thing. The new stadium will have a "proper" gate for the visitor fans and we won't be losing many tickets for the European games. Of course that requires that our fans will be also behaving themselves. I take it for granted. Right now, we are forced to completely close gate 8 which has a capacity of almost 3,000. When 100 away fans come and we basically lose 3,000 PAOK fans. That's a shame!

• Like it 2

• 1 month later...

Apparently a big Turkish firm has approached PAOK for the naming rights of the new Toumba Stadium:

Τούρκικος κολοσσός θέλει το όνομα της Τούμπας!

Το θέμα της Νέας Τούμπας παραμένει ανοικτό και σύμφωνα με πληροφορίες, υπάρχει έντονο ενδιαφέρον από μεγάλη, κατασκευαστική εταιρία της Τουρκίας.

Η πρόταση της εταιρίας-κολοσσού από τη γειτονική χώρα που έφτασε στα γραφεία του ΠΑΟΚ, έχει να κάνει με την ονοματοδοσία του νέου γηπέδου, με τους ανθρώπους του "Δικεφάλου" να την εξετάζουν σοβαρά.

Το όνομα της εταιρίας δεν έχει γίνει ακόμη γνωστό, ωστόσο επιβεβαιώνεται το ενδιαφέρον, φαίνεται πως οι Τούρκοι έχουν προτείνει στην ΠΑΕ ΠΑΟΚ μία μεγάλη χορηγία, θέλοντας να δώσουν το όνομα τους στο νέο γήπεδο του "Δικεφάλου".

Το επόμενο διάστημα αναμένεται να υπάρξουν εξελίξεις και στο συγκεκριμένο κομμάτι, με τα νούμερα που προσφέρουν οι Τούρκοι να είναι πραγματικά μεγάλα.

Αξίζει να σημειωθεί, πως η πρόταση της μεγάλης, κατασκευαστικής εταιρίας επιβεβαιώνεται από τον ΠΑΟΚ, χωρίς ωστόσο να έχουν γίνει γνωστές περισσότερες λεπτομέρειες.

https://www.paok24.com/podosfairo/144364/tourkikos-kolossos-thelei-to-onoma-tis-toumpas

• Confused 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thessaloniki mayor Zervas announced that the New Toumba project was approved by the local authorities and is moving ahead. During an interview he mentioned the projected completion of the project is in 2025 and that it will cost around 140 milion Euro and will be financed by Ivan Savvidis. He also mentioned that the 40,000 stadium capacity is possible, but it depends and the design by the architectural company.

The project still has to be approved by the Greek government, and that's where I expect major opposition as long as the current government is in power.

7 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Thessaloniki mayor Zervas announced that the New Toumba project was approved by the local authorities and is moving ahead. During an interview he mentioned the projected completion of the project is in 2025 and that it will cost around 140 milion Euro and will be financed by Ivan Savvidis. He also mentioned that the 40,000 stadium capacity is possible, but it depends and the design by the architectural company.

The project still has to be approved by the Greek government, and that's where I expect major opposition as long as the current government is in power.

Any chances of Greece hosting the EURO or WORLD CUP (joint or not) require a 40,000+. If Savidis and Thesaloniki wants EUROPA LEAGUE final that too requires a 40,000+.

Edited by Nilaul

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

With the development concerning Kaftanzoglio Stadium for the PAOK 'B' team today, I will go on record saying that as long as New Democracy (ie Marinakis) is in power new Toumba stadium will not be build. Let's not forget that the initial agreement signed back in 2018 or 2019 was that we had 4 years to start building the stadium or the agreement would be void. I am fairly sure that their (government/Marinakis) will drag this for that long.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the team is considering OAKA for this 'temporary' move - of course, if we move there I guarantee you there will be many roadblocks on the way back. Every delay that could happen in building a new Toumba, will occur. I saw on inPAOK earlier that the stadium in Serres is also in consideration - I'm assuming this is Panserraikos' stadium, but I believe that holds under 10k people. Having been there a few times, I'd say that even with upgrades, I'm not sure its capacity or build quality are really appropriate for a team that will be playing in Europe...

Personally, I'd rather that stadium in Volos over OAKA. And that's even with the risk of people from Larissa coming over to stir up trouble.

Best option is AEL FC Arena. It's privately owned so Koulis can't try his dirty trick to delay things.

I think in the end we will end up at Kaftanzoglio. All these press releases are a just moves to put pressure on the politicians to move things along.

• Like it 1

• 3 months later...

I've half given up following the stadium news as it really has dragged on, but as far as I can tell we've hit snags with the government over some funding(this may have been resolved) as well as issues with where we are going to play while the stadium is being built.  There has been lots of flip flopping over the contract to play at the Kaftanzoglio. 

So a combination of those things has slowed everything right down unfortunately. 

• Like it 1

Yeah, I remember a few months ago that we were thinking of playing in like, Volos or something. Probably not the worst choice of stadium, but it's awfully far away (and awfully close to Larissa, if you catch my drift).

• Like it 1

For Toumba reconstruction PAOK needs a license to be issued by the Greek government. This license has been promised for the past 3 years, but is being delayed on purpose by the current Greek government. In my opinion, as long as the current government is in power, this license will never be issued. It's quite obvious that the current "Prime Minister" of Greece Evaggelos Marinakis will not allow the construction of the new Toumba to proceed. 

The funding is no issue in this delay, as the construction will be fully funded by Savvidis.

• Like it 1

It would be ideal if the stadium could be ready for the 2026 season (100 years) but I think Ziaka is probably right.  It's been how many years and still no meaningful movement.  I don't even think about it anymore.  If I see an article about this topic it's 50/50 if I even bother to read it.  I don't expect anything to happen other than "talk".  We'll probably be in the same position in a few years.  In the meantime, Panathinaikos look like they'll be getting a new stadium and by Greek bureaucratic standards that was fast tracked.

• Like it 2