• PELE
    • MARADONA
    • OTHER (plase say who)
    • DONT KNOW (who r they)
    • NOT SURE (cant tell)
    • BOTH EQUAL
    • YOU (me)

Posted Image

since this is about to happen (i cant freaken believe it naoum)... better than ali vs frazier III :box:

ok guys... for the last time... who is better...

personally, i believe its maradona...

i had the chance to see him perform his magic... not to mention the hand of God... unplayable...

the reason for saying so, is that it was almost a one man show... i remember 5 spagnards marking him... the little devil...

and what a tsabouk bam bam...

as for his eternal rival, pele, i think that at the time... the game they played was not called football (bec of rules)... & they were not professionals... but quite effective...

a bit like the greek players in the 80s.. going out to the bouzoukia before a game and smoking like i dont know what...

of course, the best quote belongs to fassoulas, who once said...

i use to smoke BEFORE i even started playing basketball !!!!

(i remember he had a mini, he had the front seat removed and therefore was siting at the back... and he was able to extinguish the cigaret on the roads by sticking his hand out the window of the car... PRICELESS)... end of braket.. off topic...

the team of pele, had many stars (low level of competition perhaps).. i remember (from what ive seen from documentaries), almost all the goals were not entering in a direct perpendicular shot, but instead, they were kicked diagonally, as close to the goal posts as possible... quite impressive if you ask me...

but at that time... the team of india did not participate in the mondial since they demanded to play barefoot... those were the days... the good all days..

what do you think...

i really hope the game will be a reality...

oh... and i accept bets regardin the final score of the game...

hope maradona will be able to play... ahumm

if anyone has clips...

Sorry pittman but i believe Pele was better than Maradona.Maradone was lucky because he was great recently and with more colour video footage than Pele at his era but back then the only way for anyone to stop Pele from scoring was to tackle him NFL style or WWE moves only.Pele was lucky to play with some great names by his side but the same can be said for Maradona.Also Pele got more titles,WC and with his clubs.They were both great but in my eyes PELE was,is and will be the best player ever.as far as the game i dont know what to expect since Pele has kept his body tupe while Maradona had many ups and downs with health and drug problems.It is a game i would like to watch tho.

Sorry pittman but i believe Pele was better than Maradona.Maradone was lucky because he was great recently and with more colour video footage than Pele at his era but back then the only way for anyone to stop Pele from scoring was to tackle him NFL style or WWE moves only.Pele was lucky to play with some great names by his side but the same can be said for Maradona.Also Pele got more titles,WC and with his clubs.They were both great but in my eyes PELE was,is and will be the best player ever.as far as the game i dont know what to expect since Pele has kept his body tupe while Maradona had many ups and downs with health and drug problems.It is a game i would like to watch tho.

Maradona was more exciting, but Pele was better. Having said that, Puskas was probably better than both.

I did not see what the other of you write,but I want to say that you cannot compare this players.If you compare Maradona and Pele then compare Ronaldinho and Pele or Maradona.Other times.

Pele is the father of modern football,Maradona is the inspiration,and Ronaldilnho is the modern football.

If Pele was in our times he would be a player.of Olympiakos or Lens or Reggina.Maradona right now would be a player of Werder,Sampdoria,Real betis.And Ronaldinho is Ronaldinho.The player over the other players..

In the next 20 years football will change and Ronaldinho will be another player among the others..

Its like basketball.

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell then it came Dr J then Magic,Larry and Jordan.

Can you compare Chamberlain with Jordan?

OK, once again (as I have argued this point for years now): Maradona reminded me very strongly of Alfredo Di Stefano. Diego Armando had more success at a national level, Alfredo at a club level. Skillwise, they were identical.

When Di Stefano played, he was considered second best to Ferenc Puskas, who in fact, was considered in those days the best footballer in the world. Pele came along and Puskas lost his crown.

Since that time, Eusebio came along and was imo better than Puskas. Cruyff came along and was, without a doubt, better than Eusebio.

My point:

1. Pele

2. Cruyff

3. Eusebio

4. Maradona

-. Di Stefano

the score is 2-2... hmmmm

lets wait and see...

trelara? how can we watch the game??... i would pay quite some money... even if it turns out to be a mappet show... their reactions on the battle field... i mean the football field...

IMMAGINE...

but at that time... the team of india did not participate in the mondial since they demanded to play barefoot... those were the days... the good all days..

India pulled out in 1950. Pele popped up on the scene in 1958 in Sweden.

The votes that Maradona is getting is mostly from younger people as he is the last of the superstars that have hit the scene. The rest of the players on my list retired before that.

Look at old clips of Di Stefano and you will think that it's Maradona playing, only perhaps he was a bit cheekier with the ball. As for Pele, what he could do with the ball - and his own body - has not been replicated yet.

correct my virtual irish friend... regardin the dates.. it was in the fifties...

did india participate ever since????... or they still wait for FIFA to grant their demand...

im asking since u r the guru... and i want to know if there are more stubborn people than the greeks... :nono:

:LOL:

ps. on a serious note here dont forget the equipment they used back then... shoes, ball etc... :whistle:

now its more technical since the shoes are modified... not to mention the weight of the ball... i think the distance of the goalposts have not changed...

i guess yo right: the young generation will most probably say mara...

dont tell me you have a paparazzi picture of fasoulas too........ :nw:

it will ruin his political career.... what career... anyway.... off topic!

i will look into the videos... if i can find any... but since u said so... i trust u (for their existance)...

pele was surrounded by great brazilian players in the 60s and 70s maradona single handedly won the world cup for argentina. also napoli won nothing before maradona and nothing since he left with maradona they won 2 serie a and the uefa cup. pele never played in europe, also many believe pele wasn't even the best brazilian garincha was. also the myth that pele scored 1000 goals is just that a myth, he included all goals scored in friendlies for santos and goals scored for his school team.

my favourite pele goal was the volley he scored on his garage door with his mate in goal (i think goal no 243)

Enough! :angry:

Pele's goals are listed one by one on his biography. You will find them all legitimate. As for those superstars he was surrounded by, name me ONE player from 1961 - 1962 FC Santos you can think of! Not one Careca, not one DeNapoli, not one Giordano!

Argentina won the 1986 WC because:

1. France and Brazil eliminated each other in probably the best WC game I ever saw.

2. West German defenders failed MISERABLY in playing the offside trap.

3. The defence of England gifted them a place in the final

In 1990 they showed their true colours... :tdown:

like the goals of bagio no whowasit hummm the italian guy who stil plays i dont know wher and his forty whoalso claim to score 1000 or will fnish his carreer till he reach dis uuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm i feel good oso giato mats franc vs brazil yo wite best gam eve hatted the remats

For me it's Pele hands down. Although he did not have the flare of the more recent soccer players, he was and still is considered the best player in the world (in my opinion). I mean when you think of the bycicle kick, which is the most exciting play in soccer, who comes to mind?

Also, although the question is who is a better player, Pele handled and still handles himself better off the field and is a true ambasador of football on the global sector. Although Maradona was a great player, his reputation will always be turnished by his constant drug use. He's lucky he is still alive.

Enough! :angry:

Pele's goals are listed one by one on his biography. You will find them all legitimate. As for those superstars he was surrounded by, name me ONE player from 1961 - 1962 FC Santos you can think of! Not one Careca, not one DeNapoli, not one Giordano!

Argentina won the 1986 WC because:

1. France and Brazil eliminated each other in probably the best WC game I ever saw.

2. West German defenders failed MISERABLY in playing the offside trap.

3. The defence of England gifted them a place in the final

In 1990 they showed their true colours... :tdown:

in 1990 argentina had an awful side and still reached the final because of one man.

pele who excelled playing in the mighty US league had rivelinho tostao carlos alberto and jarzinho along side him for brazil.

PELE not even close

What year was it that Maradone scored with his hand in the WC???

Classless

Classless? It was against England ffs!!! :LOL:

In that game Maradona scored the greatest goal ever... he also scored the second greatest goal when he dribbled past their whole team! :P

Guys it's impossible to say who the greatest ever player was, but I have to disagree with my friend Tsalgik. If Pele was around today he would not be at Reggina, and Maradona would not be at Weder. Many people say this because the fitness levels were lower and because modern players have refined the skills that players liked Pele conceived. However, if Pele was around today he would have access to the facilities that the modern players have and so he would be even fitter, faster, etc.

For example, Jesse Owens is one of the greatest athetes of the modern era. He set numerous world records in the 1936 Olympics, including the 100m. However, back then he set a world record at 10.1 seconds. Today he wouldn't even get a medal with that time. Does that mean that he's not as good an athlete as the modern sprinters? Of course not. If Owens had the training facilities, dietitians, etc available today he would still be the greatest.

As for learning the skills, yes someone like Ronaldinho can do more "tricks" than Pele, because he has learned to master the tricks Pele had as well as create his own. BUT, if Pele was playing today he would also have mastered and created other skills. For example, most people here probably know more political systems than Plato. Plato hasn't witnessed Communism, Fascism, Liberal Democracy, etc. Does that mean that we have a greater political mind than Plato because we do know about these systems? Of course not.

So, you have to place each player into the context of their time. This is why, for me, Puskas was probably the greatest player ever, because he was sooo much better than anyone else in his time. England we considered to be the best team in the world and Hungary, inspired by Puskas, went and beat them 6-3 at Wembley and 7-1 in Hungary! Could you imagine that happening today in a match between Italy and Brazil, or Argentina and France?

I think players like Vava, Zico, Garrincha, Baresi, Rivelino, Socrates, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini, and Zidane also deserve a special mention.

P.S. Irlandos, I'm disgusted at you! How could YOU of all people not mention George Best? Den trepese re? :P

P.S. 2, Although I'm only 23 years old so I've seen all these players in MANY old videos, as a child my most cherished videos were not cartoons or family films but a video on the hostory of the Brazilian and Argentinian football! :LOL: However, seeing videos isn't the same as living in the era, and there are many players that I haven't seen that much of. For example, how good was Domazos? Or Hatzipanayis? Were they in the class of these guys? Can they be classed as legends?

Edited by DUDE

PELE not even close

What year was it that Maradone scored with his hand in the WC???

Classless

Classless? It was against England ffs!!! :LOL:

In that game Maradona scored the greatest goal ever... he also scored the second greatest goal when he dribbled past their whole team! :P

yeah re its classless to score with your hand punching a goal in to win a game... Where do you think Messi learned that from????

I think it was in the 3-2 win vs Germany!!!!

PELE over that CRACKHEAD ANYDAY!!!!

HENRIK LARSSON IS THE BEST FOOTBALLER IN THE WORLD! ! ! :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

He is one of the great goal scorers,not best player.

PS.Maradona scored the goal with his hand against England in the semifinals of WC 1986.That goal was mention as the HAND of God goal.The second one he scored in the same game was a classic since he took the ball behind the center of the stadium and made a fool of everybody from the left side of Englands defence and scored.Messi scored one familiar to that one last year for Barca.

PS.Pele was better,stayed on top longer,won more titles,showed to Americans how the game is played and left the game with his head high.Maradona was great but the end of his carrer was not as it should be.

For example, how good was Domazos? Or Hatzipanayis? Were they in the class of these guys? Can they be classed as legends? [/b][/color]

PELE over that CRACKHEAD ANYDAY!!!!

yes.... they r legends esp hatjipanayis... :nw:

played football (technique) 10 years ahead of others at that time... but unfortunatelly they were in greece.. no funds nopromo no nothing...

MARA over that MARKETING SELL OUT ANYDAY!!!!

Its like basketball.

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell then it came Dr J then Magic,Larry and Jordan.

Can you compare Chamberlain with Jordan?

nope but the americanz are starting 2 compare jordan with james lebron...

he is still small... but on the right track...

will we ever see another jordan? i think not!!! off topic

• 8 years later...

Cruijff played in Toumba on February 14th 1973 with Ajax in a friendly game. Result 1-1.

2b4dph.jpg

He also played a game with FC Barcelona in Toumba on September 16th 1975 in the first round of the UEFA-cup, nowadays the Europa League. Result: an unexpected great 1-0 win with Koudas scoring for us.

Here a vid (poor quality though) of that game with in the beginning the highlights (at the end Vojvodina-AEK).

Edited by Dutch Eagle