Phantis Forums

Should Rehhagel stay?

Irlandos

Should Otto Rehhagel stay as NT coach?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Otto Rehhagel stay as NT coach?

• Yes, for the foreseable future
    • Only for remainder of Euro 2008 qualifiers
    • No, he should be dismissed now

How much confidence do you have in coach Otto Rehhagel's ability to guide our NT?

Do you think he can repeat Euro 2004? Do you think he has outlived his usefullness? Do you think he has a firm grasp on our players' condition and ability?

What is your opinion of King Otto???

lets assume we qualify(which we are on course to doing) depsite rehhagel not having lead us to the world cup and having some call ups we dont agree with, he has done well in leading us to euro...if we qualfy, i say let him stay then judge on our results in the tournament...if he does well then mb he should stay..but then again, mb its time for soe new blood...

After we once again win Euro in 2008, King Otto should be declared Dictator of the Greek NT for life, with Charisteas holding a position as Permanent Striker and the rest of the NT to be determined by age, with oldest members retaining positions until they can no longer walk on two legs. :P

I was one of the first people to advocate that Otto should have retired the moment that he arrived back with the Euro trophy back in 2004.

He was on a hiding to nothing and people at EPO like Gagatsis did not have the foresight to see that we had reached the zenith and it was only ever going to go down hill with the same squad and Otto in charge.

I still can't accept that Otto was in charge of some of the most humiliating moments.

I was disgusted with us losing to Australia in a half hearted display with more than 50,000 omogeneis in attendance. ALso we couldn't beat a Sth korea B team. ALso that 4 zip loss to England at Old Trafford shamed all of us! I won't even go to the 1 - 4 against Turkey.

Stop making excuses for Otto Rehhagel. He has failed miserably post Euro 2004 and HE IS NOT BIGGER THAN GREECE OR GREEK FOOTBALL. Some people think that he has earned the right to disrespect our national shirt because he took us from mediocrity to champions. Well my view is he has taken us back to where we were and in those days we could actually play football unlike what we display these days.

We need a new manager with a new plan that evolves and with fresh ideas and with an eye on Greek talent not the same proven yet failing stars.

I don't care if we qualify for next years tournament. We will surely be humilated once there. What is Nikopolidis, Charisteas, Fyssas, Basinas or Kapsis going to do?

We are in the easiest Euro qualifying group of all and its no great achievement to finish 2nd and qualify.

FUGE HERR OTTO! :gr:

I dont understand what some people think he is capable of. We only just beat Moldova (1-0 and 2-1), we were struggling against Bosnia until they had someone sent off, we got hammered by Turkey at our own place and the best part is that we still got Turkey and Norway away.

It is criminal to still be using the same players such as Axristeas, Polidis, Anatolakis, etc. What makes me laugh is how he calls up young players then never uses them :P.

Otto is a mapa

• 1 month later...

Even though Rehhagel keeps sticking to the same squad of which some its players aren't playing well, he still is the best coach for Greece because if Greece puts in a Greek coach or another foreign coach, they will tend to be soft and lenient and not strict and tough like Otto and the FA hired soft/bad coaches for a long time and that includes the vastly overrated Panagoulias. If EPO does that, it could make the Greek team like it was pre-2004 and thus we would miss Otto believe it or not.

But, then again, I think EPO now realizes after all this time that a strict coach is needed for the Greek squad. Having the Greek players play abroad and becoming better players now also dictates EPO to be careful in their hiring of their next coach.

The only Greek coach that could be good is Nioblias based on his leading the Greece U19 team to the quarterfinals in 2005 and the final in 2007. No other Greek coach could be good except for maybe Topalidis who was been the assistant coach for Rehhagel so he could follow the same kind of strict coaching style as Otto - just hopefully not the style of picking players.

He needs to stay untill the end of the Euro campaign wherever it leads us.If we go to the next round great for him,he should be the one leading us,if not then they will need to find a replacement for the next major tournament.Preferable not greek,maybe Bajevic??

He needs to stay untill the end of the Euro campaign wherever it leads us.If we go to the next round great for him,he should be the one leading us,if not then they will need to find a replacement for the next major tournament.Preferable not greek,maybe Bajevic??

I agree with everything in this post.

• 2 weeks later...

thank God 4 the poll...

so far we have 4 greedy rightwing fashist.... 4 sensible persons.... and 14 POROMENOI, nuts, fanatic people... im one of them...

very representative sample...

bravo 2 the majority.... i think the results say it all...

as 4 bajevits.... ade gia... but hey... why not? this should be funny...

• 4 months later...

This is a difficult post. I don't know if he should stay or not. But I know that the following are true:

(1) It would be convenient for him to stay: he has re-established himself, he has a good squad and good relationship with the players. He is most wanted by most fans and by EPO. They will provide him with everything he needs. He is also rather old for another post in another, notably weaker team (say Austria) and if he has a chance of achieving anything, Greece NT is a team with which he has the opportunity to do so. I don't any other better ranked team than us would offer him a position; it is rather the smaller NTs that want him.

(2) It would be convenient for us to stay: there is no need for replacement, we know him and he knows us, there will be no threat for the players and everything will continue to the high level it currently is.

(3) The money: Otto is already one of the highest paid coaches and I doubt he can find a better offer at this point of time, with such priviledges, elsewhere. Besides he rejected Germany's offer 4 years ago and so I don't think money is his absolute highest factor in his decisions.

Despite the above, I am puzzled why he has still not replied affirmatively to accept the offer that EPO did. There are some rumors in the news that Topalidis is looking to advance his career by accepting a position elsewhere. In that case, I believe that the chances of accepting to continue with our NT will be diminished because Topalidis is the connective bond between Otto and our NT. I think he has asked for more time to convince Topalidis to stay and to negotiate further with the NT about that. But because of this delay, it seems evident that there is a problem.

I don't think that Dusan is the best replacement; for greek football he is fine but international football is another business, and this will be a new ground for Bajevic. The same (if not worse, because of lack of experience) goes with Noplias.

The end of reign of Otto will find us with a very difficult decision for a new coach. Therefore I would like to postpone this decision after we win the world cup :blink: :tup: :whistle: :LOL: , while I am celebrating, in August 2010.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

The World Cup is the last thing missing from Rehhagel's CV. For that reason, and because Greece has a relatively easy group, I think he'll stay. He won't get a better post elsewhere (although if Germany botch things again at this Euro and Greece do well, he might get tempted by them again).

Unless EPO have a good replacement lined up (i.e. someone like a Hiddink or Lippi; fat chance I know), they should keep Otto.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the observation by Aek66. He does not seem to be as excited as he used to be in the past, judging from his press conferences. But very few of his press conferences have been eventful in the past anyway.

Nobody can predict if he will stay or go but the fact that he is thinking of it so much means also that he is thinking to retire or change team (though the latter seems like a bad idea really) and that is not a good sign for us because we are used to him and he has brought elements in this team that we never had before. I personally would like him to continue.

Lets wait to hear his decision and then we can think about possible alternatives should he decides to retire. The sure thing appears to be that we will go with him to EURO 2008.

Nikos Nioplias wouldnt be a bad idea.. i think he will implement alot of youth into our NT since he has dealt with it first hand...

only concern is he good enough for this role in terms of coaching and matching it with the best??

if otto were to leave i would expect a big name to come in but i dont think many would be intrested considering most of the current squad is on the decline (age wise)...

yet again it might be the perfect chance for a new coach to impliment his philosphy/stratgy with a youthfull new look team??

who knows, i personally wouldnt mind if otto goes or stays, but all i know is that after Euro 2008 alot of new players have to be implement into the first team squad whilst alot of the olders one must be shown the door (no offence to them)

Guest TheLegend

I think recently he can play some retarted formations but he has guts and goes for the wins.. Also its not his fault we dont have 1 creative attacking midfeilder to support the 4-3-3. I see his point of view. Greece has great fowards right now, something they didnt have in 2004, so implementing the 4-3-3 takes advantage but no offense to karagounis (not cuz he plays on pao), but he cant play attacking mid... not creative no plays he can create... nothing...

He just runs back and forth doing nothing really..

Archived