Phantis Forums

Dimitrios Konstantopoulos ‒ (Retired)

Athens4

if this guy is playing and starting games in the premier league next year, i dont care how old he is, he should be in the ethniki team. the ethniki is not a platform for developing players, its about getting results 

• Like it 2

Well two draws on the trot mean that Middlesborough have dropped to third (one clean sheet for Dimi). However they still have a game in hand over the top two, which if they win will mean automatic promotion to the premier league. 

Last two home games are Birmingham Away and Brighton at home. Brighton are currently second!

I hope to god they don't throw it away again, as they did last season in the playoff final.

Edited by Chris Tsamados

Boro drew their second from last game 2-2 against Birmingham. Dimi could have done better for the first goal but couldn't do to much with the second. 

Highlights: 

https://youtu.be/GpD51zYQcis

Middlesborough had a winning goal wrongly ruled out for offside and now need to win their last game against Brighton to guarantee automatic promotion into the Premiership.

Talk about tense!

I remember his one and only match for the NT vs Malta 3-1 in 2011, looked nervous after conceding goal, wasn't clean and to sum it up it wasn't a good debut. I'd never heard of him before that match, and I sort of wrote him off. Then not long after signing for Middlesborough in 2014, he goes to kick a pass back only to have the ball take a wicked bounce over his foot, cause him to miss and QPRs Zamora to walk into an open net in injury time. Hmm, QPR won 3-2. Unlucky for Dimitrios but perfect for you tube. I thought then, why is a mid 30s Greek GK playing in the UK. What he has achieved since that time with Middlesbrough has been amazing stuff, and a credit to his perseverance and talent. Huge respect! Good luck to him and to Middlesborough. I believe a draw will be enough to get them through.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1

The game finished 1-1. Middlesborough are promoted to the Premier League!

Fittingly the last touch of the game was Dimi's when he caught a a dangerous looking cross. Just seconds later he was mobbed by thousands of adoring fans. 

I don't think Skibbe can ignore him anymore. 

• Like it 2

It's the second consecutive brilliant season for Dimi and a great achievement to achieve promotion. That said, as well as he's done, I think his age pretty much makes an NT call up impossible. Like Gekas (who still performs well at club level) I think the NT isn't going to happen for Dimi.

Not writing him off, I would welcome it. Realistically though I think a consistent starter in Serie A is going to get the call before an older keeper in the English Championship. Even if Karnezis' NT form hasn't been great recently.

How many years does he have left? It would be short-sighted and to our eventual detriment to start him over a younger guy like Karnezi, as a contingency in case our regular starter gets hurt though he would be very good. 

• Like it 1

He's 37 not 90!

David Seaman was playing for Man City at 40, Peter Schmeichel was 39 and still playing top flight, Brad Friedel was ever present for Tottenham in 2012 at the age of 42, Mark Schwarzer is still going for Leicester City at 43!  

As said previously keepers careers tend to go on longer than outfield players. 

Edited by Chris Tsamados
  • Like it 1

• Argy changed the title to Dimitrios Konstantopoulos ‒ Free Agent
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Dimitrios Konstantopoulos ‒ (Retired)