Phantis Forums

Dimitrios Konstantopoulos ‒ (Retired)

Athens4

Coventry City keeper grabs second chance

Nov 9 2007

by Andy Turner

DIMI KONSTANTOPOULOS is going all out to re-establish himself as Coventry City's keeper.

The summer signing started the season but was dropped towards the end of September after the Sky Blues conceded eight goals in three games.

It opened the door for Andy Marshall who impressed at in the win over Manchester United at Old Trafford and kept his place.

But the big Greek keeper got his chance again at Stoke last Saturday after Marshall picked up a back injury in training.

And, in keeping with the manager's selection policy, stayed in a winning team at QPR, suggesting there is little to choose between the two.

"Every player likes to be involved in a winning team so it has been great to be back for the last two games," said 28-year-old Konstantopoulos.

"There is nothing you can do but get your head down and work hard.

"I have been in that situation before and as a keeper it is a bit weird because it is always harder to get in the side and all you can do is work hard in training and wait for your chance.

"The manager just said the team had done well on Saturday and he was sticking with the same players.

"When Andy stepped in at Manchester United he did well and stayed in the side, so that's the way it is.

"If you do well, you usually keep your place.

"I feel I am still learning all the time.

"It is a new league for me and, although I wouldn't say it is necessarily harder, it is quicker with better quality and, as a keeper, you are learning all the time in training and matches."

He added: "We are on a bit of a winning run now with three league wins on the bounce and I felt we have deserved it.

"And to be fair at QPR, if there was someone who didn't know who was the home team they would have thought it was us at every stage of the game because we put them under pressure for most of the game."

As for the two goals he has conceded in the last two games, the first was from the penalty spot at Stoke and Tuesday night's strike from Akos Buzsaky took a deflection.

"The guy struck his shot well and Ben Turner tried to block it and hit his shoulder as I was on my way to the other side," he explained.

"But we kept going and we knew that if we kept doing what we were doing we would score at the other end."

And Konstantopoulos insists great credit should go to the defenders in front of him - with whom he is now able to communicate a whole lot clearer after undergoing surgery to his voice box.

"We have got a settled back four and that's really important to know and understand each other because there is a lot of covering and they are doing it very well at the moment," he said.

"The more comfortable they are the better things work out."

And as for his voice problem, he revealed: "I had a small wart on my voice box which I had removed because it was making me sound hoarse.

"Now it has gone and I feel much better and I can actually shout now."

\

• 4 months later...

coventry have signed kasper schmiechel on loan til june. konstantopoulos will not play for coventry again this season, unless marshall and schmiechal get injured. looks like the new manager chris coleman is not willing to give him a chance

coventry have signed kasper schmiechel on loan til june. konstantopoulos will not play for coventry again this season, unless marshall and schmiechal get injured. looks like the new manager chris coleman is not willing to give him a chance

To be fair, he's been poor whenever I've seen him. He should try and go back to Greece.

To be fair, he's been poor whenever I've seen him. He should try and go back to Greece.

And Kasper Schmeichel is a bloody good goalie.

It hurts to say this but Man City with Hart, Isaksson and Schmeichel got a good line up <_<

Nottingham Forrest want to sign Konstantopoulos on loan.

GO BACK TO GREECE RE m#$%!!

He will be at Nottingham Forest, on loan, for the rest of the season

• 7 months later...

Dimi praised by Swans boss

Posted on: Sun 02 Nov 2008

With just a matter of minutes remaining it looked as if Doncaster could have registered their first victory, and scored their first goal, when they were awarded a disputed penalty.

Darren Pratley was adjudged to have fouled James Hayter inside the area and referee Keith Stroud had no hesitation in awarding the division's bottom club the spot-kick.

Paul Heffernan had only been on the pitch for four minutes when he placed the ball on the spot and the 9,000 home supporters, who welcomed the ex-Notts County striker onto the pitch with one of the biggest cheers of the day, felt that a long-awaited victory for Sean O'Driscoll's men was on the horizon.

Article continues

Advertisement

But the South Yorkshire side was thwarted by Swansea City's debutant loanee Dimi Konstantopoulos who not only stopped Heffernan's spot-kick, but the rebound aswell.

Source + full article.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Konstantopoulos is currently the starting keeper for Middlesborough who are top of the Championship. Dimi kept a clean sheet in Boro's 1-0 win over Wigan today.

He could be playing in the EPL next season at this rate. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a NT squad given his decent form, but his old age will count against him.

Edited by Koro
  • Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dimi helped Boro get a scrappy 0-1 win away at Norwich tonight. I only saw the first half and he made at least one pretty good save, but looked a bit dodgy when coming to catch crosses and sometimes just punches instead.

Boro are now top of the table, but Bournemouth and Watford both have a game in hand. Still looking pretty good for their chances of getting into the EPL with only 2 games left of the regular season.

• Like it 1

I think he had three saves to make in the whole games. He misjudged one centre but was quite efficient otherwise. He is keeping a good Spanish keeper out of the first team so the manager must see something in him. There must be a reason he never made it to the better teams though.

If they make it to the Premiere League, what are the odds that management will take advantage of all that extra cash to replace him? After all, people love trading up.

From what I've seen newly promoted teams rarely buy a new keeper when they go up. I think all the new EPL teams this season have to same keepers they had in the Championship. Teams would rather slash their cash on a striker to get the goals to stay up, or an attacking midfielder. But it would still be a big step up for Dimi, considering how much more shots he would have to face in the EPL.

Middlesborough have kept a lot of clean sheets this season, so I doubt they'd want to disrupt their defence by switching keepers. Of course Dimi's age might count against him and Boro have a good younger 2nd keeper who used to play for Real Madrid, so maybe they want him to replace Dimi eventually.

• Argy changed the title to Dimitrios Konstantopoulos ‒ Free Agent
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Dimitrios Konstantopoulos ‒ (Retired)