Phantis Forums

Season review.

trifilli

To put things into perspective, this is one of the worst PAO teams, maybe THE worst, since professional football in Greece (1980).

When PAO messed up domestically, there was something done abroad, to save the season.

Even last year, we had three valiant efforts in the home CL games. This year was a complete failure, even in Europe.

Ironically the away games in Czech Rep. and Lens were our best games.

Beating AEK 4-1, and gauro twice, were short breaks, in the misery that started early this season with the 1-1 tie in Patra for the UEFA qualifiers.

The only positive summer transfer move was Salpi, which was followed by another tragic mistake of releasing Geka.

We were lucky that AEK and gauro were eliminated by second division Haidari ! and PAS !

The only good news was the discovery of Ninis and Munoz' guts to play him in the first team.

Poor Munoz had no talent to work with, I do not blame him.

Since 2003 PAO has continued to fail miserably in the transfer season.

We are consistently getting worse players than the ones replaced.

I have been watching PAO CL highlights from 2000 to 2003.

I am convinced that only one or two, from our current roster would make the first team, of that period.

If PAO could play at that level, with a very average coach, like Anastasiadis, it was obviously because of the talented players.

I can only imagine, what Munoz could do with that kind of arsenal...

No matter who the coach will be, if the talent is not there, this team will continue it's downward spin.

From where we are now, PAO can only go UP! :whistle:

PEACE

To put things into perspective, this is one of the worst PAO From where we are now, PAO can only go UP! :whistle:

PEACE

Well, some things don't necessarily float; they stay at the bottom! Especially if they have lots of dead weight. ;)

Dare I say... (and this is true for the Greek league in general) People can't hold their breath for ever! At some point they either die, or adapt to being bottom feeders!

I wouldnt say Salpi was the only good transfer we did.

I like Ivanschitz very much too.

Victor was a disapointment not in playing aspect but in injuries.

Pap was also a sort of transfer since his contract has been renewed and i must confess he didnt get to my expectations.

In my opinion following changes need to be done.

Vyntra out (kolopaido pou den kserei na sebete tipota)

Galinovic (I dont think he will find his past condition)

Goumas should stay as a backup

Morris keep him keep him.

Nilson should stay as a backup too.

Tziolis and Leontiou are not ready to play on their own they should be given someone to lead them so that they get the experience missing.

Ninis is a great talent and with proper handling he will become a great player.

Romero send him to hell and let Theodoridis play

Victor and Eki both had many injuries and although i like em both i am not sure if they will be ready mentaly and physicaly. (But i say keep Sanchez and Eki)

Ivanschitz will stay another year at least and i hope he can become our new leader.

Bovio send him to hell and get something descent.

Andric i would prefer this guy instead of Bovio as a backup (but he should at least get more games to his feet)

Theodoridis keep him keep him keep him. I only saw 3 games of him (he didnt play more) and he always played descent at least better than Romero.

Charalambidis keep him too i know he is a great player who had quit some adventures in the past (and even though still wants to stay at PAO and doesnt complain weekly about Panathinaikos like some other past players we had.)

Mantzios needs deffinitely some more Powergym training. It cant be that a player of his size can be pushed so easily.

Salpigidis as already mentioned in my opinion one of best players.

Pap need to get back to his good glory days.

And we definitely need some more offensive players next season. It cant be that some of our players almost played the whole season in every institution.

Interview with mr papi..

Panathinaikos has shown us two different sides this season. You demolished AEK away from home and you beat Olympiakos at Karaiskaki but yet again the same team could not beat Ergotelis and Atromitos at OAKA. Where do you attribute this and which of the two sides will Panathinaikos put forth in the Greek Cup final against Larisa?

"When you play a derby you follow a certain game plan. Sometimes that plan does not work with the so called "weaker" teams of the Greek Super League. These are teams that like to defend most of the time and like to take away points from you any which way they can. They are totally different games and you cannot compare the two."

Do you mean that you must have a different mind set when you face such teams?

"Playing against Olympiakos it makes perfect sense to play a counter-attacking system. You cannot do the same in all the other games! This is what I mean."

In your opinion, is this the issue Panathinaikos is faced with?

"It is one of the reasons why we are having such a bad season. Giving space to teams that are set to play a defensive game and try to counter-attack them under pressure it does not work for us. That gives the other team more ammunition to believe that they can beat us and it makes their game easier."

What about you - the players. Isn't your fault?

"We are all responsible with the way a team performs. Of course the players are at fault as well, espeically vyntra."

It has been said that Panathinaikos is missing players that could make the difference or take over as the leaders of the club. Players that could make the difference against teams that play defensively, and players that can score goals and win games.

"It has nothing to do with individual efforts but everything to do with a team effort. In order for a team to play attacking soccer the whole team must work at that. If you do not practice it how can you apply it during a game (munoz fault)?"

Are there player-leaders at Panathinaikos?

"What do you mean?"

For example, Rivaldo at Olympiakos has won many games by carrying the weight on his shoulders. He makes the difference.

"We do not have a Rivaldo in our team but that does not mean anything at all. For me you must have a team and not a player-leader. What is that mean anyway? If the team works as a whole then the player-leader that you are referring to will be brought out naturally. It is not healthy for a team to have the same person to carry all the weight. Rivaldo is a great player and if Panathinaikos had a Rivaldo in their ranks he would be that player-leader you are referring to."

At the same time the question comes up about the quality of the team. There are players that were not liked by the supporters and the press, left the club and now they are doing great abroad. How can you explain that?

"I cannot explain it. The only thing I know is that we have a team that likes to win championships. We are constantly under pressure. It might be that a player cannot function under these circumstances and when they leave for another club they feel free to show their strengths. It is natural for players to have less stress abroad than they do at Panathinaikos. This is the only thing I can think of."

Where do you attribute all that pressure coming from?

"From everywhere - the press and the supporters. We are part of a team that must win championships and win trophies all the time. It is logical for us to feel pressure and we must live with it."

Do you feel that pressure more than others since you are the captain of the team? Do you feel more stressed now than what you did in your early years at Panathinaikos?

"When I came to Panathinaikos I joined a team that was already in place. I had a different type of stress as I was trying to make sure that I would become part of that team. At this time I might have more stress since I am the captain of the team."

Have you changed since you wore the captain's armband?

"What do you mean?"

In the way you approach things or the way you act.

"I am the same person as I was before. I have more responsibilities to deal with now and I must deal with them."

Do you think that becoming a captain has affected you in any way on or off the pitch?

"This is something that the supporters can see or feel since they do not know the inter-workings of a team. People can say things without knowing what is going on which really hurts me, i think they should just shut up."

What are the supporters saying?

"That I have changed. The certain thing about it though is that they say it without knowing what is going on and apprently im a homer sexual."

If you had to do it what would you change?

"I work hard in every practice in order to improve in all aspects of my game. You must not work on one thing more than another because you are going to let yourself down. A player must always work hard and cover all bases."

You had a great first season at Panathinaikos. After that you had your ups and downs.

"During my second year I got tired during the summer time. After that the team changed as a whole. As I told you before, when I first came to Panathinaikos we were a team, I cannot say the same thing for right now. Every new player that joins the team does not have the same experience I had and they are being told that they must carry the weight of the team. This must not happen as you should look how to get new players to play better ball."

Why are you saying that?

"The team that we had has changed as some of the players left. You cannot built a team from scratch as good as the one you had before. It takes time. Every year we see new players and new coaches come and go. That does not help because of our incompetent management."

Are you happy with Panathinaikos this season?

"Of course I am not happy. I will be happy when we win the championship and i can score a goal."

Will things change if you win the Greek Cup?

"It does not mean that if we win the cup we have succeeded this season. But yes, of course it would be something positive."

It is a trophy though, something your team has not had many of in the past few years.

"A cup is a cup and a horse is a horse of course of course. It is a title for the club, its history and its supporters. We must not say though that if we win the cup everything is fine and that we have accomplished something great."

Do you agree with the fact that not many changes should take place at Panathinaikos during this summer season?

"I am of the opinion that the correct changes must take place. Few or many as long as they are the right ones, hint hint Vyntra, Andrich, Biscan, Romero, Kotsios, Nilsson, ebede."

Was the toughest point of the season at Pampeloponnisiako?

"I think the whole season was tough on us."

Right from the start?

"Yes."

Do you mean to say that the club did not do the right things during the preseason training?

"Preseason training ... I have said this again. The coach followed the program he thought was best for the team. I have worked harder during other times."

Where have you done that?

"Not at Panathinaikos. In England and vietnham I went through a week of hell and back. But that was only a week and then we had friendlies and the championship. It was a different style of training. It is not like Greek clubs do 15-20 days. There is no such thing."

Greek players are thought of as not wanting to have to go through a tough training session. For example, they like to work as little as possible during training and have coffee in the morning instead of practice.

"I believe every person enjoys drinking coffee but yes you are correct, us Greeks have the most lazest attitutde."

More generally they like to complain all the time.

"Ohh dont get me started, can you belive that Goumas thought i stole his gold chain from his locker?? talk about being a bitch!."

Munoz followed Bake. Things changed for a while but then again we saw the same thing again.

"It was a tough year overall. Munoz changed things with the team in the beginning as he tried a different style of play. Unfortunately it was the same style of play in all of the games. We had no options as it worked in some but not in others. He is the coach and he decides what's best for the team. We must listen to him in what he wants us to do even if its the wrong thing."

Do you feel that there are different ways to play better soccer at Panathinaikos?

"I feel that we are not taking risks when we play with smaller clubs. We give our opponents fuel for them to beat us."

Would you keep Munoz around if it was up to you?

"This is not my job. This is a question for those that make the decisions, in other words no i wouldnt i hate that son of a bitch!."

Did you expect Ninis to go so far?

"I saw him for the first time after I came back from Italy. I did not even see him practice with us at all."

What do you have to say about him?

"What can I say? The kid has a special talent and his really really special to me."

Do you think we, as press, we exaggerate a bit?

"F***in oath, his not really that good, im much better then him?"

What would be an accurate statement?

"At this time he is 17 years old and he has a talent. All this attention towards him is not necessary - you know every day, every day. You must say that he is a talent but not the extend you are building it up to be."

very dissapointing to say the least.. we finally win the derbies, & nothing...

Not good enough in the UEFA cup...

We won in Pigadia, & in Kareiskase.....

Lets win the cup & at least have some hardware to a poor season

Archived